Wednesday 26 October 2016

Self Seeded Velvety Purple Petunia.

I think it was beginning of this year, in the month of January that I received 4 pots of petunia plants from my friend. They were of different colours and I transferred them into hanging pots. Below the hanging pots were some other plants also growing in pots.
The plants grew and I enjoyed their beautiful flowers for about 5 months. Later they dried up and they were gone from my garden.
One day, I noticed 2 baby plants growing from the flower pot that was used for growing the petunia plants and which I have put aside.
As they grew bigger, only then I recognized the leaves as those of petunia plants.
And I also noticed some baby petunia plants growing from the pot which was below the place where I hung the petunia plants. They were all self-seeded and were growing well.
It was such a pleasant surprise to see the plants growing from the seeds that have fallen onto the soil in these pots. And all the plants were of this colour only, the velvety purple flowers.
I was once again blessed with these beautiful petunia flowers blooming in my garden. It was so unexpected to see the plants growing and blooming again in my garden.
A close up of the velvety purple petunia flower. Isn't it a beauty?
The sad thing is that these plants are easily attacked by the mealy bugs.
This round I only get to enjoy their blooms for about 3 months before they too dried up and died. I don't know whether they have left behind any seeds to grow again in my garden.
Linking to Flower Wednesday.

For as the soil makes the sprout come up
and a garden causes seeds to grow,
so the Sovereign LORD will make righteousness
and praise spring up before all nations.
(Isaiah 61:11, The Living Bible-TLB)

40 comments:

  1. You experienced a lovely surprise! That purple velvet is fascinating! Thank you for sharing Nancy - enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful purple color flower. Love to see the dark and light shadings on the flower. I can experience the surprise you had when you saw the seedlings of this plant...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Petunias are fantastic flowers love

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are very good with flowers! I love this deep, purple color :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never ever seen petunias like this!!! Maybe we do not grow them here. They do look like velvet! And their purple color is so intense! WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Should be first time, i see this flower...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice plant, the color is beautiful:)
    kisses

    http://irreplaceable-fashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are blooming again! Nice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Lord does allow us to have beauty at the most unexpected times. Truly pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lindas são magnificas estas flores.
    Um abraço e boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nancy, your purple petunias are lovely! I have seen people hang potted petunias and they are so gorgeous. But when I tried to grown petunias years ago, I was not successful :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Self seeded are the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, they are a delightful colour. Lets hope they have self seeded and you can once again see their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The deep purple of these petunias is really special! Lovely blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wundervolle Bilder und sehr schöner Beitrag :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, the velvety purple petunia flowers are so beautiful! Especially the deep purple colour.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That rich purple colour is beautiful to behold!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful flowers and some great shots. You have an amazing green thumb.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  19. Stunning colour. My petunias this year were ones that seeded from last year but the were only red and orange. It is a delight to see these pop up when you least expect them to. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really gorgeous and captivating, Nancy! I love the purple and green!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Petunia is a real beauty, Nancy♥

    ReplyDelete
  22. These beautiful flowers are very happy in your garden! I hope you have more seedlings soon! x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a beautiful colour. I'd love a dress in this shade. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. the color is very beautiful and bright..

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful purple! Nice to have seeds like that. But I guess quite difficult to get or you would have made sure of a third round.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely flower with beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love self seeders and your petunias are gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i saw this one in real.. and the petals are so velvety to touch..

    http://jehanmohammad.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. seasonal flowers for five months ? that is amazing as here we can enjoy such flowers hardly for two are three months
    these purple flowers are so pretty .
    loved each you shared dear

    ReplyDelete
  30. I really love flowers... Very nice
    Kisses for you

    ReplyDelete
  31. I really love flowers... Very nice
    Kisses for you

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful! I love things purple :-))

    ReplyDelete
  33. You love gardening, don't you? I don't have green fingers, all my plants all Ma-ti (meaning die) very fast

    ReplyDelete
  34. Beautiful pictures and flowers.
    Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  35. We used to have that happen sometimes when we gardened (back on our former life, when we were younger). We were told that all petunias except the purple ones are hybrids and if they self-seed they will go back to the original.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...