Saturday 21 October 2017

Home cooked Yam Cake

On this particular Wednesday evening, the small group (formerly called the care group) meeting will be held in our home. Currently, there are 7 homes taking turn to host the small group meeting. After the meeting, there will be a time of light refreshment and fellowship.

I was thinking of frying some noodle and boiling some sweet drink (tong sui) for the refreshment but changed my mind when I found a yam (size about 600 gm) in the bottom shelf of my fridge. After a friend gave me some homemade yam cake, I had wanted to make one. I bought this yam but have forgotten about it. It still looked good and fresh. So I abandoned the idea of fried noodle and went about preparing the yam cake. Below is the simple way I cooked my yam cake. Sorry, there is no exact measurement.
1. Yam or Taro - I cut it into small cubes.
2. Dried shrimps - soaked, rinsed and chopped coarsely. I used a generous portion of dried shrimp bought during our visit to Kuala Sepetang. Hubby like lots of dried shrimps.
3. Garlic - chopped, fry in about half cup of oil. When light golden brown, take out the fried garlic and leave about 3 to 4 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
4. Tai Tau Choy (preserved vegetable) - washed, cut and chopped, soaked and then squeezed out the water.
5. 1 piece chicken or ikan bilis stock cube
6. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Ground fried peanuts.

Batter mix:
300 g rice flour + 80 g cornflour + 1 tsp 5 spice powder + 5 cups water.

Method:
1) Heat up the oil in the pan and fry the dried shrimp over low fire until fragrant.
2) Add the yam cubes and the chopped preserved vegetable. Keep frying till yam is about half-cooked. Add in the chicken cube (break up the cube) and stir.
3) Add in the batter mix, salt and pepper.
4) Keep stirring until the batter thickens.
5) Scoop the mixture into a greased baking tray and steam for about an hour or until it is cooked.
6) Let it cool completely. (This is for easy cutting).
7) To garnish: sprinkle the fried garlic, ground peanuts and cut spring onion (from my garden) over steamed yam cake before cutting into pieces.
I forgot to take a picture with the garnishing.
Since this is the first time making this yam cake after so many years, I better taste first before I serve it to my small group. So I cut out 2 pieces to taste.
My cut yam pieces. It is packed with yam and dried shrimp.
I didn't garnish with red chili because there was none from my garden.
Served with some bottled chili sauce. It was "Yums!"
Self praise is no praise so have to wait for feedback from the small group.
Yippee! Everyone liked and enjoyed the yam cake!
Whole tray of yam cake finished! I am so encouraged!
*     *     *     *     *
The following photos are for joining Saturday's Critters.
These photos were taken at the recreational park.
These dogs are part of our early morning walkers.
Sometimes they may block our path. I usually give a clap and they will quickly make way for me.
This lone kitty makes sure it is safely out of sight of the dogs.

Linking to Saturday's Critters.

"Blessed and to be envied," he said,
"are those whose sins are forgiven and put out of sight."
(Romans 4:7, The Living Bible-TLB)

53 comments:

  1. ...we always think of yam or sweet potato as orange until we bought one in Hawaii. Purple came as quite a surprise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yam or taro is different from sweet potato. Yam is usually light purple or light grey but the sweet potato has orange, light yellow or purple, etc.

      Delete
  2. So delicious! How much oil did you use? How about taro and dried shrimps? I didn't see the quantity mentioned in the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, I didn't mention the quantity of taro and dried shrimps because you can put more or less depending on your preferences. Most important is the batter mix.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Your Yam cake looks YUMMY! Cute photos of the dogs and cat on the walking path. I hope they were all friendly. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Have a beautiful new week!

      Delete
  4. Very interesting Nancy. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting cake but I have never seen dried shrimps here :-( Like the shots of the dogs and the cat. Have a great Sunday, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting recipe, Nancy, thanks for sharing. I'm sure your guests enjoyed it.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your yam cake looks delicious! I would like to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of this dish, but it looks good, and perfect texture. The very best cooks and chefs cook like you do---no recipe, just by adding a pinch here and there. This is an unusual looking cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. This cook has lots to learn. Lol!

      Delete
  9. I love seeing all the dogs and the cat, and this dish is very new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your yam cake looks delicious, will be nice to eat with the bottled chili sauce, yum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby. Yam is my favourite and I can eat lots of this!

      Delete
  11. I'm so glad your guests enjoyed the yam cake. I've never had any before but it looks most interesting. Perhaps one day I will get lucky and have someone offer some to me. I enjoyed your photos at the park too. Have a wonderful Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful. Have a wonderful new week!

      Delete
  12. Nancy, 'jin ho chiak' ! I will try making this one day. Seems easy enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your recipe Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy dish! would love to taste ..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wah...your homemade yam cake looks so good! Thanks for the recipe. I must make one for myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. I love yam cake with lots of yam and dried shrimp!

      Delete
  16. Looks wonderful, not something that I have ever had before so would love to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Delicious recipe, Nancy! And how beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your yam cake looked good. I never make myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I made this after so many years!

      Delete
  19. So... must make again and again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, actually it is quite a simple recipe. Depending on whether I can get good taro/yam.

      Delete
  20. Yam cake looks so easy to prepare and of course delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...