Monday 8 June 2015

Alocasia "Amazonica" Or African Mask Plant In My Garden

Alocasia "Amazonica" or African Mask plant is also known as the Elephant Ear plant. I personally prefer to call it the Giraffe face plant because I think the leaf looks like the face of a giraffe.
The leaves are dark green with white veins. It is grown for its green foliage. The leaves are smooth and glossy.

Those plants placed in partial shade will have bigger leaves and longer stem. Those placed under full sun will have smaller leaves and shorter stem.

This plant can be grown outdoor or indoor. It does well both in partial or full sun. It grows well in rich, moist soil with good drainage. Poor water drainage or over watering cause root rot.

Propagation is through dividing rhizomes.
All parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested.

Do horses run on the rocky crags?
Does one plow the sea with oxen?
But you have turned justice into poison and 
the fruit of righteousness into bitterness
(Amos 6:12, New International Version-NIV)

34 comments:

  1. We have similar plants here in Montreal in a public greenhouse, and they call them elephant ears. Beautiful photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like a great plan.I want one too.
    www.tomntins.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very unusual plant. I've never seen a leaf like this before. Wow. Yesterday I went out and took some photos of flowers around my place. I plan on showing them soon in my blog.
    Have a great day. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, I am looking forward to see you beautiful plants. Have a nice day!

      Delete
  4. Great plant kiss

    http://denimakeup95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  5. They sure look healthy. Looks like you have a green thumb. Excellent.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. They do look like a Giraffe, that is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks pretty amazing! i do enjoy gardening but well, mom's territory

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your plant looks very healthy. I've never seen this type of plants. Very interesting leaves.
    Thanks,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia. This plant is quite common here.

      Delete
  9. Hi Nancy,

    These plants look really majestic!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look so good & yes they do look like giraffe face lol! Thanks for stopping by!



    S.
    http://subhamrai.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Theses are really beautiful plant with nice dark green glossy leaves. I have a pot of it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you have the giraffe face plant. Do you have the zebra plant too?

      Delete
  12. Hi Nancy! I used to have this plant in a pot and also on the ground. Gee, that reminds me I don't have them anymore :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too used to have a few pots of this plant but now I only have 2 pots.

      Delete
  13. I have this leafy plant in my house too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, so must be careful not to let animals eat this plant since it is poisonous. Thanks for sharing, I seldom see this plant around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is dangerous to both children and animals.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...