Tuesday 21 July 2020

An Unplanned Visit To The Papan Village

Last morning, we had an outing with friends. They came to pick us from our house and then drove to Pusing town for breakfast. I forgot to snap photos of our breakfast. I only remembered when we were halfway through our breakfast. Since it was a leisure outing, we do not have any fixed plan. Hubby expressed his wish to visit a long forgotten place which is a short distance from Pusing town. After breakfast, our friend drove with hubby directing the way.

This long forgotten place is the Papan Village. Hubby came to this village when he was about 5 to 6 years of age to stay with his grandma for about a month. He was curious to see what happened to this small village. After almost 60 years, he is not able to remember which was his grandma's rented house.
This is the first building we saw when we entered the village. The building with antique doors and windows looks well maintained and occupied.
In 2018, an article published in an English newspaper mentioned that Papan Village has about 135 houses and about 650 residents at that time.
On the right, this looks like an abandoned building.
Further down, another abandoned building.
Chopped firewood.
Looks like some of the villagers are still using firewood for cooking.
This is the main road of Papan Village.
As you can see, this village is not totally abandoned.
The new next to the old
A row of dilapidated shop houses.
This looks like a dead tree, but alive with parasite plants.
There is a Chinese national type primary school or SJK(C) next to the main road. According to Wikipedia, in 2009, this school had 72 students and 11 teachers.


Show me the path where I should go, O Lord;
point out the right road for me to walk.
Lead me; teach me; for you are the God who gives me salvation.
I have no hope except in you.
(Psalm 25:4-5, The Living Bible-TLB)

40 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining us at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-daylily-garden.html, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...oh how i like the architecture of this village. I looks like things were built to last, too bad that there wasn't more maintenance over the years. Thanks Nancy for sharing this glimpse into the past.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good to go back and visit a place from your youth. I've not done that in a bit, but it was fun when we did.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

      Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday. ♥

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Sandee. Have a beautiful day.

      Delete
    3. Thank you, Sandee for hosting. Stay safe.

      Delete
  4. I must admit that very interesting architecture. I like it very much! I'd love to see this place live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely photos- so interesting

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked to see these photos!

    https://itslizzie.space/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it is nice to go back to places you remember from childhood, and sometimes it can make you sad. It does seem to still be a nice place to visit or live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its sad to see this place almost forgotten as the young people leave for bigger city.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Thanks for sharing about this antique papan village. It is like travel back in time. I wonder what is the main industry that supports this village. Do they sell wood? Is that why they are called papan village?

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is so wonderful to see where others call home. I love seeing childhood memories too. Interesting people still cook with wood. I imagine there are many places where things are done differently. I had to apology. For whatever reason my original blog since 2009 annesphamily.blogspot.com has not had a commenting issue. But my second blog My Tata's Cottage has held comments in cyberspace since May until today. SO I am making the rounds to apologize as well as visit each person. Thank you for stopping by and thank you for commenting. I hope to see you soon. I am very grateful you shared this post with us today. Thanks. HUGS across the miles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne for updating us on your blog status.

      Delete
  10. What a gorgeous place to visit, thanks for taking us along! I really appreciate virtual travel these days, the only kind available.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virtual travel can be interesting and fun too.

      Delete
  11. Hello Nancy!
    Lovely buildings and great architecture!
    Thank you for sharing! Have a lovely day! Stay safe!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DIMI. Have a great day and stay safe.

      Delete
  12. Me parece un pueblo muy bonito. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh gosh! Something different on your blog! To be honest, I love exploring buildings like that. They seem so pretty and peaceful ❤

    Blog de la Licorne * Instagram * We♥It

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely architecture. Very beautiful pictures taken with clear blue sky as i can see. Is it very sunny that morning? Seeing these pics makes me miss travelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunny but not very hot. For the time being, we have to make do with local outings or 1 day trip.

      Delete
  15. Interesting place to visit and i liked the architecture of the houses even in abandoned stage!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm I remember this place as a 'ghost town' from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...