Wednesday 26 November 2014

Growing Sweet Potato Leaves

One morning, I bought a big bunch of very fresh sweet potato leaves from the road side stall.  After plucking the leaves off the stem, I then peeled the skin off the green stalks because with the skin on, they could be stringy and fibrous, unless they are very tender.  As I was about to collect the stalks and place them into the plastic bag to be thrown away, a thought came to me that maybe I should plant them instead. But then, I have not enough space to grow sweet potato leaves because the vines will spread out on the ground very fast.

So where shall I plant them?  I found a wide, round pot in my garden, once used as a fountain base but now left unused.  My partner agreed to drill some holes at the bottom of the pot for water drainage.  The pot's depth is about 25 cm (10 inches).  So sweet of my partner.
Sweet potato vines grow well in warm climate, with plenty of sunlight,  in warm drained soil and with plenty of space.  I do not have much space so I will make do with this pot.  I do not know whether I will get any sweet potatoes but I contented to just be able to harvest the leaves and shoots.
Cool climate and plenty of water will produce plenty of leaves and less potatoes. I grow my sweet potatoes from cuttings.  Bury the cuttings lying down, with only the young shoots exposed.  Every nodes on the stem will produce roots.
Sweet potatoes are not yams.  There are many variety of sweet potatoes.  There are red, yellow, orange, white and purple, etc.  Tubers or fruits of sweet potatoes, leaves and shoots are consumed by many.  They contain very high vitamin contents and are very nutritious.
This picture was taken after the leaves and shoots were harvested. The shoots and leaves will grow back very fast. I have to harvest early because the vines are growing out of the pot and on to the tiled floor below.
These shoots and leaves are very tender.  The plus point is I do not have to skin the stalks.  I love sweet potato leaves cooked in any way.  My favourite is to stir-fry these leaves with belacan and chili.  These leaves can also be cooked in soup, spicy curry or coconut milk, kunyit curry.  You can also simply stir-fry them with a little oil, garlic and a pinch of salt to taste.  And the easiest is to blanch them in boiling water, drained and place on plate.  Then drizzle some garlic or onion oil and oyster sauce or soy sauce over them.


The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose,
and each will be rewarded according to his own labor.
For we are God's fellow workers;
you are God's field, God's building.
(1 Corinthians 3:8-9, NIV)

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a good harvest. They look young & tender. Best is fresh from the garden and into the wok. I like it stir fry with belacan and with this dish only, I can have very good appetite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, just 1 dish of this is enough for us too. Our own veg taste sweeter any time.

      Delete
  2. I love to eat this sweet potatoes leaves stirfry with garlic. Very tasty. So nice you can eat this almost every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe once a week. Remember, my pot is not that big ha ha.

      Delete
  3. These leaves look very pretty even without the sweet potatoes! I think you could grow ANYTHING, you have a green thumb! It is snowing here, and the roads are bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ginny. Praise the Lord for blessing my plants. May God watches and protects you and family in your going and coming especially in this weather. Take care.

      Delete
  4. Wahhhh...next time I also think twice before I throw away the stslks... Hahahaha.... Good harvest there...and Christmas is coming... Hope the real harvest will come as much too for our Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Lets get ready for plentiful Christmas harvest. Jom!

      Delete
  5. Nancy, it is really a good idea to plant the sweet potato stalks. And you got yourself a bountiful harvest! I love sweet potato leaves too especially stir fried with just garlic and salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very, very easy....and in a short time, we get our harvest. Stir fry with garlic and salt is the easiest to cook and can taste the sweetness of the fresh veg.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Good harvest.

    Seldom cook sweet potato leaves at home. I like it stir fried with garlic or cook with dried prawns and/or belacan.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...