One Sunday after church, as my friends and I were having our lunch, we happened to be talking about garden plants and in the course of our conversation we found out that we have not been to the Herbal Garden near Batu Gajah in Perak. We decided to make a trip there since we share the same interest in garden plants.
We reached this place about ten in the morning and the LORD blessed us with nice, cooling weather. The entrance fee is RM2.00 per adult and RM1.00 per child. We took our time moving around the park, learning about the medicinal values of the plants and their uses from the information displayed and we were busying snapping photographs for our knowledge and references.
I will share with you some of the plants and their medicinal values and uses that are found in the Herbal Garden. After reading all the write-ups of the plants' medicinal values and uses, I no longer look at or treat my garden plants lightly. In fact, I have discarded many of these plants from my garden because I did not know of their usefulness.
Use these herbs with caution as they may have side effects.
Red Button Ginger (Scientific name: Costus Woodsonii) (Top left pic.)
- To treat high blood pressure and bladder disorder: Decoction of whole plant in water and drink.
- To treat ear infection: Roast the small plant, then squeeze to extract a few drops of sap and put on affected area.
- The plant juice are acidic and used to relieve fever and cough.
- To treat inflammation of male organ: Pound the roots to a paste and apply onto it.
- To treat diarrhea, high fever, cough, dysentery, sore breast: Use the roots to make herbal tea and drink.
- To treat itches, sore skin (caused by parasites): Crush the leaves, mix with sulphur and apply onto affected area.
- To treat ear ache: Drip the leaf juice into the ear.
- To treat sore throat: Use the leaves and stem to make tea and drink.
- To treat high fever: Boil the whole plant in water and drink.
- As a form of birth control: Eat the fruit as salad.
- To treat scabies and sores: Roast the leaves, crush and apply.
- To treat piles: Boil plant in water and drink.
- For fitful sleep: Boil the leaves and flowers in water and drink.
- To ease bowel movement: Boil the flowers in water and drink.
- To improve appetite, purify the blood, strengthen bones, refresh the body and firm up the skin (maintain youthful complexion): Eat the shoots as salad.
- To treat poisonous centipede and scorpion bites: Use slime/sap of plant and paste onto the affected area.
- To treat scabies and warts: Use sap and apply onto affected area.
- To reduce swelling caused by sores, joint pains, poisonous insect bites and inflamed skin: Crush whole plant and apply onto the affected area.
- To treat cracked nails: Crush leaves and apply onto nails.
- To enlarge breasts: Eat fruit and leaves as a salad, or cook in curry.
- To treat mouth sores: Squeeze juice to use as mouth gargle.
- To treat high blood pressure: Eat fruit as salad.
- To treat catarrh: Scrape the roots and rub it on the face.
(Bottom left pic)
- To treat ear ache: Pound the leaves and drip the juice into ear.
- To eliminate toxins in body: Boil leaves in water to drink.
- Antidote for poison from insect bites: Crush the leaves and apply onto the affected area.
Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation: seed-bearing
plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it,
according to their various kinds. And it was so.
The land produced vegetation: plants bearing seed
according to their kinds and trees bearing fruit with seed in it
according to their kinds. And God saw that it was good.
(Genesis 1:11-12, New International Version-NIV)
For more information:
Taman Herba Negeri Perak
Batu 1, Jalan Batu Gajah,
Simpang Sindu, Mukim Sg. Raia,
31300 Kampung Kepayang,
Perak Darul Ridzuan.
Mon - Fri: 8.30 am - 4.30 pm
Sat - Sun: Visitation (by appointment)
Stay with me....more herbs coming up in the next post!