Sunday 16 November 2014

Purple Long Beans And Green Long Beans (Kacang Panjang Renek)

There are two types of long beans plants in my garden. One is the purple long bean and the other is the green long bean plant. These two are quite easy to grow.

Purple Long Bean
A friend from Taiping gave me some purple long bean seeds. It was the first time I have seen a purple long bean. You can even see some tinge of purple along the stalks of the plants.
I had some small recyclable container base with holes punched at the bottom, filled them with garden soil. I then pushed a seed into the soil in each container and watered them. I made sure the soil in the container stay moist and away from direct sunlight at all time.

These are my purple long bean plants creeping overhead, giving some shade to my garden. Contribution to my garden from my partner, by putting up the lines for these creeper plants. This helps to save space in my garden but I have to stand on a wooden stool when I need to harvest the beans.
We plant, we water, but it is God that makes them grow!
So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything,
but only God, who makes things grow.
(1 Corinthians 6:6-7, New Internation Version-NIV)

Let us not become weary in doing good,
for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.
(Galatians 6:9)
This is the first fruit from the purple long bean plants.

I am feeling so thankful for this plentiful harvest of purple long beans,
bird's eye chili and "pang pei tau" (for soup) from my garden.

New shoots growing from the main stalks.

Green Long Beans (Kacang Panjang Renek)

These plants are grown from seeds given by another friend. These plants do not climb nor creep. These are short shrubs or "Renek" (in Malay).
The plants are only slightly over a 30 cm (12") tall.
They started flowering at about 21 cm (8") tall.
Dancing pair of kacang panjang renek.
I have to lift the beans up so that they will not touch the ground. From the base to the tip of the top leaf, the plant is hardly 45 cm (18") tall.
As you can see, I have to use ruffia strings to lift up the beans.
I am so pleased and beaming with joy to see this pair of beans.
Harvest time!

This is the highest I can lift it up. This one is about 40 cm (16") long.
Today's fruits of my labour.

Thank you Lord, for Your blessing!

14 comments:

  1. Envy envy.... My kacang panjang had two miscarriages ....so much for being fruitful ;p now third flower blooming... Praying that God will make it stay in place and grow into a longbean ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry about the sad news. Probably due to the heavy rain these few days. I am sure you will get to see the long beans appearing soon.

      Delete
  2. Lol to Elin's plants miscarriages..... Such humour....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahah...ya, now Elin's plant is pregnant again so this time must stay in bed until delivery.

      Delete
  3. I have not eaten purple long beans before. It must be really healthy to eat these organic vegetables from your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veg straight from our garden always taste sweeter.

      Delete
  4. usually i see green long beans, hardly see purple long beans...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very rare to find this purple long beans sold in the market. Your green long beans grow well too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too haven't seen the purple ones in the local market. I don't know how fruitful the green ones will be, hopefully they will be.

      Delete
  6. Not bad ah. I think I can recommend my mom to read bout this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, I have never seen purple longs beans. I am very captivated by both your long bean plants. Every time I come to your blog, I am inspired to clean up my garden. But when the weekend comes, I lose the motivation hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, the right time will come. Don't worry, one fine day you will get the motivation and in a twinkling of an eye its done. I left my garden neglected 4 a long time when I was working.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...