Sunday 26 July 2015

Visiting Fa Yuen Street And Tofu Fa At Mong Kok, Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Day 4 - Fa Yuen Street at Mong Kok.

As usual we set out early with Pete as our tour guide. Today, Pete will be taking us to Mong Kok for breakfast and after that a short visit to Fa Yuen street.
While waiting for the apartment door to be locked, we waited at the corridor. We cannot help but noticed the cleanliness of the whole place.

On the common ground of the apartment blocks. A clean and a neat place, very maintained.
A layout of the apartment blocks.
We travelled by MTR from Ngau Tau Kok to Mong Kok, 9 stops away.

Took a snapshot of the route layout on the MTR, very informative. Upon reaching Mong Kok, we went straight for our breakfast. For those who are interested to know what we ate for breakfast, click here.
After our delightful breakfast, we took a walk around the area. We walked along Mong Kok Road.
We also walked along Tung Choi Street.

We passed by many shops selling aquariums, accessories and fishes.

Many varieties of colourful fighting fishes.
Making our way to the popular Fa Yuen Street.
And here we were at the popular Fa Yuen Street.

This is the Fa Yuen street market. People and stalls filled up the street.

A very busy and crowded place. Both sides of road lined with stalls.

An interesting place to look around and compare the prices. I am a hopeless shopaholic so I didn't buy anything.

Our next stop was to try out Hong Kong's sweet dessert, the soybean milk pudding (tofu fa).

Because of the poor lighting, the photo did not turn out well. the soybean milk pudding is supposed to be white but you can still see the silky smooth texture of the pudding.
There was no seat available, so we stood and ate the soybean milk pudding.

The soybean milk pudding was silky smooth and tasty.

Besides the soybean milk pudding, there were many other food varieties on sale. Food on skewers and different sauces to go with.

Different varieties of fish and meat balls, sausages, nuggets, etc.

This looked like braised beef and innards. We didn't try any of this as we were not hungry yet.

They will never again be hungry or thirsty;
they will never be scorched by the heat of the sun.
For the Lamb on the throne will be their Shepherd.
He will lead them to springs of life-giving water.
And God will wipe every tear from their eyes.
(Revelation 7:16-17, New Living Translation-NLT)

36 comments:

  1. Nancy the streets look so crowded, narow and busy.Interesting city

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gosia, it is a very busy place. Too busy and narrow for my comfort.

      Delete
  2. Fascinated by these photos, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, the street foods look very interesting. I would be very interested to try as many as I can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, we were still full and could only have room to try out the tofu fa. So we gave the street food a miss. They do look interesting.

      Delete
  4. Very busy & crowded street. Spoilt for choice. My eyes will turn blur if too much varieties to choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, haha...not only my eyes turn blur, my mind will get jam too....that's why I couldn't do any shopping there!

      Delete
  5. I would not be able to stop myself from buying something there, for sure. Love the soybean pudding.

    Sound like it is pretty easy to travel on your own in Hong Kong with informative signs and directories in both Chinese and English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, from my experience, if you can read and understand Chinese, it will be quite easy to get around Hong Kong. The transport system is very good and punctual.

      Delete
  6. You took us on a great stroll, a feast for the eyes with so much to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mamas, I enjoyed strolling the street and feast my eyes on all the interesting items on sale. But I seldom buy, just window shop only.

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing your trip to Fa Yuen Street. Most interesting food but I don't know if I would try too many of them for breakfast.
    Enjoy your day.
    Hugs.
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, when we go in groups, we can order more variety to be shared and we get to try more variety.

      Delete
  8. Hi Nancy,
    Yeah I kinda like the "night life" in Hong Kong. .. so many things to see or eat while strolling on streets. But my mind would always go 'blank' cos spoilt for choices. . Hee ..hee ! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I know what you mean because I too feel the same way...ended up not buying anything at all...lol!

      Delete
  9. I too have mentioned how clean and well maintained everywhere you went. Here it is not that way unfortunately. People discard all kinds of stuff on the streets and sidewalks. It's a shame.

    I do love all the food you've shown. I would love to try a bite of each thing.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandee, over here the state of most of our streets are un-
      kept and rubbish are strewn all over the place and drains. The responsibility should be with both the people and town council. If everyone does his or her part, our towns will be much cleaner and beautiful!

      Delete
  10. You know Nancy, I agree, I'm impressed at how clean everything looks. Does the entire area look the same? Once again the food seems interesting but once again I think I would try just a few of these things.
    Have a wonderful continual visit. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, the places I have visited are very clean. Even the public toilets are clean too. About the food, some I have tried but some I was not keen to try...lol!

      Delete
  11. Such a great experience. All of the food must be wonderful. It must be great to take in the sights, while strolling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, I enjoyed the stroll and the sights were fascinating!

      Delete
  12. Everything is close together. Very interesting. I like the apartment too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Saleslady371, so good to have you visit my blog. Thank you.

      Delete
  13. If i see those foods, i can't resist the temptation, will buy and eat, keke...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, an after thought, ya, we should have bought one of each to try...heheeee!

      Delete
  14. What a great tour, Nancy! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wouldn't have bought clothes either... but would have gone gaga over those sticks of food and various sauces! Only thing I see they're not cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, we never thought of buying a stick each to try out, maybe we were too full to think of eating at that time...hahaaa!

      Delete
  16. So many things to see and try there. What a curious and fun street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lux, these photos are only a few. So many things they have there, we didn't have in our place.

      Delete
  17. The corridor is really clean. Do they clean it themselves or there are cleaners specially hired to do the cleaning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun, they have cleaners and I think the residents themselves are also responsible to keep the place clean too. I noticed everywhere I went, the place is clean. Really amazing!

      Delete
  18. Aquariums must be popular there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its amazing. The aquariums on sale are usually small ones, suitable for the normal apartment size.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...