Wednesday 8 July 2015

Dim Sum Breakfast At Hak Ka Hut, Ngau Tau Kok Road, Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Day 2 - Breakfast

As usual, I do not usually sleep well when I am on holidays. It was a night of drifting in and out of sleep. On the first morning when I opened my eyes, I though I overslept. The room was bright and I quickly checked the time on my mobile phone. It showed 5.50 am. I double checked with the clock in the hall and it confirmed 5.50 am! At home in Ipoh, 5.50 am will not be this bright, it will still be dark.
I looked out from our bedroom window and at 5.50 am, this was how it looked like. To me it looked like about 7 am to me.

We were all up and ready by the time Pete, our Hong Kong host cum tourist guide arrived at the apartment. The apartment is equipped with a lovely recreational and community garden.

And also a children's playground. The whole place is clean and well maintained.

I like the well-planned spacious recreational space allocated for the comfort of the residents of the apartments.

We reached the dim sum restaurant before 8 am. It was walking distance from where we stayed. Pete immediately placed booking for a table for 7 people. This was the ticket or coupon - waiting to be seated.
We passed by the open kitchen.

We get to see the people at work in the kitchen.

A very busy place, preparing food for the customers.
Restaurant was packed with customers. Hong Kong is famous for dim sum, a must try when in Hong Kong.

Sharing table is a common practice in Hong Kong.
These saucers caught our attention. They were specially designed to hold the chopsticks in place.

We ordered both a mild and a strong Chinese Pu Erh Tea. It is a norm to be served an extra pot of hot water without asking for it.

Sweet pumpkin cakes.

Pumpkin Cake with its sweet filling.

Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun with BBQ Pork Filling. (Steamed flat rice noodle rolls).

Hong Kong Chee Cheong Fun with Prawns filling.

Pan Fried Steamed White Radish Cake.

Teochew Dumplings.

Teochew Dumpling with its filling.

Pan Fried Bean Curd Rolls.
Pan Fried Bean Curd Roll with its filling.
Glutinous Rice with Chicken Meat wrapped in Lotus Leaf.
Which is another version of our local Loh Mai Kai in Cantonese.
Deep Fried Pork Dumplings.

Deep Fried Pork Dumpling with its filling.

Steamed Tofu with Minced Meat Stuffing.

Steamed Chicken Meat with Brinjal cubes, fish maw, mushroom, etc.

Steamed Pork Rib with Tofu Puffs, etc.

Mild Spicy XO Sauce and Sweet Sauce.

We had our dim sum breakfast at Hak Ka Hut, a Hakka Chinese Dim Sum Restaurant at Ngau Tau Kok Road.

After a sumptious dim sum breakfast, we are ready to meet up with the other group members for a day of sightseeing.

See what the land is like and whether the people
who live there are strong or weak, few or many.
What kind of land do they live in? Is it good or bad?
What kind of towns do they live in?
Are they unwalled or fortified?
(Numbers 13:18-19, New International Version-NIV)

34 comments:

  1. I enjoyed dim sum in Chinatown in San Francisco. It was amazing. I see it was amazing for you too.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it was amazing. I enjoyed tasting all the different dim sum varieties. Have a lovely day, Sandee.

      Delete
  2. Very nice dim sum there, Nancy! So many varieties.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were recommended by our Hong Kong host!

      Delete
  3. I love to eat dim sum. Never seen pumpkin cakes with sweet fillings here in KL before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy your breakfast was so huge but in my opinion tasty! In Europe is not so common sharing ltable in the restaurant... so different continent and customs..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosia, we ordered many varieties, Each one gets to taste a bit of everything. There were 7 of us.

      Delete
  5. I like dim sum but it is no longer as readily available here like in the old style where you sit and they wheel carts of food by your table. I've never seen the pork filled tofu. It looks good. Sounds like you are enjoying your time in Hong Kong. I seem to sleep better when I am on holiday. I get to sleep and wake up more consistently at the same times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back home here in Ipoh, we get to sit and wait for the food cart to come to our table and we order. But in Hong Kong, we had to tick on the order form to order our food.

      Delete
  6. Love dim sum. So far Tony Cheng's in Chinatown, Washington DC is the nearest that we like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Ipoh, dim sum is easily available but we only eat once in a while.

      Delete
  7. That certainly was a very large breakfast with such a wide choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looks huge but not too heavy for 7 people.

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Sharon, I love dim sum too but only eat once in a while.

      Delete
  9. It looks like so much food for breakfast but it looks delicious.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julia, a hearty and delicious breakfast to start a day of sight seeing...lol!

      Delete
  10. So much varieties of dim dum, spoilt for choice. I am a huge fan of it. Yummy!!!!...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our host introducing Hong Kong dim sum to us. It was very yummy!

      Delete
  11. What an amazing place, and lots of choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, these were only some of the dim sum available. There were many others that we didn't order.

      Delete
  12. I love dimsum so much I can live with it, no kidding. This looks like an amazing place for dimsum lovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lux, then Hong Kong is the place for you. Hong Kong is well-known for dim sum.

      Delete
  13. Nancy, I suppose Hong Kong is the ultimate place to savour dim sum. So many varieties and I am sure all were very tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the reason our Hong Kong host made sure we get to taste their well-know dim sum!

      Delete
  14. Hong Kong is known for dim sum. Nothing could go wrong with it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have got to look up dim sum...never heard of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dim sum are small cute Chinese dumplings, with or without fillings, steamed or fried.

      Delete
  16. you can never go wrong with HK dimsum. yummylicious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The pumpkin one with cream is so unique. The second pic that looks like doughnut, had a bite taken out from the middle issit?

    The one problem I had with HK dimsum is... no chilli sauce haha. My problem, not theirs. Next time I will arm myself with a bottle of Kampung Koh before going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, the 2nd pic is the pumpkin cake that I used a pair of chopstick to open up to reveal the filling. You can't get chili sauce but they do serve xo sauce, slight spicy. I think its good idea to take along your own chili sauce.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...