Monday 27 July 2015

Gathering Cum Dinner Treat At Fo Tan, Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Day 4 - Dinner Treat At Fo Tan.

After a short tour at Fa Yuen street, the ladies wanted to go shopping and the men wanted to check out the prices for mobile phones. So a lady friend, hubby and I decided to go back to our apartment to take a rest and do some packing because we will be taking our flight back to Malaysia the next day.

By evening, the men came back and together we will be meeting up with the ladies at Fo Tan, in the district of Sha Tin for our dinner. Fo Tan is a funny name. Initially, I thought it means 'charcoal' in Cantonese. But I was told that from the Chinese character, it literally means 'fire beach'. It was a dinner cum gathering of relatives and friends, and the Hong Kong relatives wanted to host this dinner.
Young boys sweating out at the apartment's recreation park. We were on our way to Fo Tan. We needed to take a light bus to the MTR station.

Waiting for the light bus at the bus stop near the apartment.

Here's the light bus.

Took the MTR to Fo Tan. Waiting at the traffic light to cross the road to meet up with the ladies and especially our dinner hosts.

This was where we had our dinner. I think those seated inside, surrounded by the plastic sheets, get to enjoy the air-con. There were altogether sixteen of us, seated at a king sized table! And here's our dinner dishes.

Deep Fried Spring Chicken - very crispy skin and the meat very tender & tasty.

Chicken porridge/congee - a big bowl, tasty and well cooked.

Stir-Fried Noodle with bean sprout.

Deep Fried Soybean Cake in Batter.

Deep Fried Calamari or Squid in Batter.

Dipping sauce for Deep Fried Calamari.

Fish Porridge/Congee - a big bowl, tasty and well cooked too.

Blanched Broccoli with Stir-Fried Canned Mushrooms, etc. in gravy served with dipping sauce.

Deep Fried Pig's Intestine served with dipping sauce. I didn't taste any of the sauce.

Deep Fried Fish Balls served with dipping sauce, made from the fish called 'lean yu' or 'ling yu' in Cantonese.

Braised Chicken served with Deep Fried Bitter gourd with salted egg.
So here ended our last dinner in Hong Kong, our next day dinner will be at the airport. On behalf of our whole group, we once again give thanks to our dinner hosts.

Always be joyful. Never stop praying.
Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will
for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
(1 Thessalonians 5:16-18, New Living Translation-NLT)

52 comments:

  1. Really lovely, food looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha as usual I drools over that plate of intestine and calamari :) must be delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice spread of food with majority deep fried. Love the fish porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again Nancy, there were some wonderful dishes. The Calamari was my best choice. I like calamari, lobster, shrimp and or octopus. I'm glad that you & your group enjoyed your trip. Have a great day my friend. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. Have a beautiful day. See you!

      Delete
  5. Everything is lovely, Nancy, and I really like that bus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, its fun riding on the light bus!

      Delete
  6. Oh my what a feast. I got stuck on the calamari and ate the entire dish. Oh my I love calamari.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandee, I love calamari but now can only eat moderately. Have a fabulous day too!

      Delete
  7. Another great feast, such a wide variety of food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mamas, the advantage of travelling in groups is that we can order more variety to share out and we were able to taste more dishes.

      Delete
  8. Hello, looks like a great dinner and a wonderful wonderful end to your trip! Thanks for sharing, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. There will be a few more post on Hong Kong, so bear with me. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  9. especially I love the light bus and calmari..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gosia, the light bus is a very convenient. Calamari seems to be a popular item.

      Delete
  10. Food, food and more food! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, do bear with my food posts. Hong Kong is known for delicious food and our trip turned out to be a food full trip.

      Delete
  11. O, dear...this food is so totally different from what we eat out here in the big state of Texas...
    I know you enjoyed this trip a lot...so glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bj, those are Chinese food and they are cooked in many ways.

      Delete
  12. great food. how can one live without such luxury. we are pampered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Irvine, I agree..we were very, very pampered by our Hong Kong hosts!

      Delete
  13. I'm struck by how short the bus looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, its called the light bus. They do have the normal long bus too.

      Delete
  14. Lovely and delicious dinner before taking flight back to Malaysia. I see that you guys are very familiar with the public transportation in HK by now. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I am glad to be able to experience the public transport in Hong Kong. And it was a wonderful experience.

      Delete
  15. Thanks so much for sharing all your experiences on this trip. I now have a better understanding of the different food the people of Hong Kong eat. I love Chinese food and I used to cook it a lot but so many dishes from Hong Kong are very strange to me. So be it. Everyone has their own custom.

    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, Chinese has many dialect groups and each group has its own style of cooking. So we ended up with so many different dishes.

      Delete
  16. Loves all the foods that you all had...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, thank you for enjoying the food with us.

      Delete
  17. argh ...second time typing this. first comment hilang

    Love the dishes you had for dinner especially the yummy looking pig intestine. Love a taste of that and also of the spring chicken

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This missing comments issue also happened to me some times. I would strongly recommend the spring chicken. I think the pig intestine is something new and need to be tried too.

      Delete
  18. Nancy, another grand makan. Everything looks good and somehow I am very attracted to the fried noodles with beansprouts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, the fried noodles a bit too oily for my liking.

      Delete
  19. Lovely view- the food looks interesting, not sure I have ever eaten anything like it- maybe the noodles! (I'm not very adventurous when it comes to trying new things!)
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. The food may not be familiar to you but they are tasty.

      Delete
  20. My girls and my husband would love the calamari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, deep fried calamari with chili sauce very delicious!

      Delete
  21. Omg! Your reataurant life is simply amazing! I love calamari!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ola, yes and all thanks to our hosts that we get to taste all these food!

      Delete
  22. Wow.... two stomachs also not enough! Especially for that spring chicken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, that spring chicken is very good. I love that dish!

      Delete
  23. Hi Nancy,

    You must have been eating lots of good food in HK. Everything looks so delicious in this post and your previous ones. So fast going back to Malaysia already??? Never mind, Malaysia also has many delicious food :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, we were pampered with all the delicious food. It was a 5D4N trip. Yes, it is home, sweet, home and back to our own good food!

      Delete
  24. So much food! So tasty! All thanks to your hosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun, overflowing with flood, feeling so spoilt by our hosts.

      Delete
  25. I have been craving chicken porridge since the other day, and now, I see it in this post. I must have it today. :D

    I'll make it today. Your food photos made me drool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The porridge is very tasty. Have a lovely day. Hope you enjoyed your porridge!

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...