Wednesday 15 August 2018

My First Air Plant (Tillandsia).

One day, my friends dropped by for a visit and after lunch we went to the nearby plant nursery. We came upon lots of Air Plants or the Tillandsia hanging at one corner of the nursery. Usually, I will not go near them because they are expensive. But my friend saw that the prices were quite reasonable. When I heard that, I too went near to take a look. I picked up one little plant and it was tagged at RM9. The lady boss told me that when the leaves have turned red or deep pink, it means it is going to flower, just like the one I was holding. That was how I ended up buying this small Air Plant.
About a week later, from the center of the Air Plant came a purple tube-like thing.
The bottom leaves are light green, the upper leaves are red.
And the flower is purple.
To me, this Air Plant resembles the pineapple crown.
Out of the purple tube like thing, came something that is yellow and white.
Altogether there are 3 purple tube-like things.
This is the first and only Air Plant in my garden.
I will wait and see the progress of this Air Plant.
The close up of the flowers. Tiny but very pretty!
I was told that Air Plants are easy to take care.
I hope this will multiple to produce more baby plants.
There are many varieties of Air Plants (Tillandsia).
If this plant grows well, I may consider getting a few more.

Linking To Floral Bliss.

Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body,
but it makes great boasts.
Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark.
(James 3:5, New International Version-NIV)

34 comments:

  1. That's a very pretty and unusual flower Nancy! The colours are very bold and striking too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing Nancy - you have bought a treasure! I have seen different tillandsias in shops, but never a blooming one. I wish her success, it is very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riitta! Now that the flowers have faded, the leaves are back to its pale green colour. Hope it will produce babies for me.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing nancy, i learn something new today (about air plants)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! I am also learning new things about Air Plants.

      Delete
  4. I have seen many air plants being sold in garden centers lately. Hopefully yours will give you many, many baby plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Mun! I do hope so too. Let's wait and see how the plant progress.

      Delete
  5. ...beautiful creation of nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful and intriguing plant. I never seen this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to see these plants in exhibitions and seldom in the nursery but this round there are plenty in the nearby nursery.

      Delete
  7. Your air plant is so pretty. Worth spending the RM9.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong! That was what my friends told me so I was willing to part with my RM9 for the plant! Lol!

      Delete
  8. I have had several air plants. No water, I kept them inside and just misted them. But I have never seen one bloom! This is amazing! Here, they are very cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ginny, now I am encouraged to get some to place in the house. Only if the price is reasonable. I am so glad to see the plant flower.

      Delete
  9. What a very beautiful but unusual flower. I love it. See ya Nancy.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you 're having a problem getting into my blog, try this

      https://cruisinpaul.blogspot.com/


      Cruisin Paul

      Delete
  10. Este año floreció una que tengo por primera vez, la tuya es preciosa. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting beauty products. We keep in touch. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely, we had them in Sout Africa but I have never seen them here. Well done. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I hope it will do well under my care.

      Delete
  13. Very pretty plant, i hope it is easy to grow and makes more for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful, intriguing and so very different plant.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...