Saturday 31 July 2021

Hyacinth Bean Soup & Steamed Pork Rib With Cauliflower

This was 2 Tuesdays ago. This was another one of the hot and humid days we are having here.

Beautiful sunrise at 7:06am.
Golden sunrise at 7:26am.
Morning sky at 7:27am.
Clear blue sky and white cloud.
Simple home prepared breakfast.
We had half boiled eggs, toast and jam.
Milo kosong for hubby and Bru coffee with nestum for me
For lunch, we had glutinous rice dumplings (bak chang).
These are the smaller bak chang and just nice for a not so heavy lunch.
The bak chang filling consist of mung beans, salted egg yolk and pork. We have been buying these at RM11 for 3 bak changs. We were informed that very likely they will have to increase the price due to the increasing prices of raw materials.
~~~~~
When the weather is hot and humid, my kitchen becomes like an sauna room. I have a mini fan in the kitchen but it doesn't help much. I will be sweating away and my t-shirt will be all wet. So, to spend less time in the kitchen, I tried to cook dishes with less preparation time.
Steamed pork rib with salted black beans with the cauliflower as base in a metal plate.
Soup:  Green hyacinth beans (pang pei dau), carrot, red dates, goji berries, and chicken bones. Cooking soup is easy. I just dump everything into a pressure cooker. Once it reached high pressure, I let it slow cook for 25 to 30 minutes over low fire. In this way, it taste like authentic soup cooked the traditional way and it also helps to save gas.
This steamed pork rib dish and the soup is an appetizing combination for a warm and sweaty evening.
My bauhinia kockiana clusters in different shades of yellow and orange.
~~~~~
I received the following photos from my friend.
She saw this monitor lizard in the drain outside her house.
Photos credited to Shirley T.
If I see this, I don't know whether I have the courage to take these snapshots.


Don't be impatient.
Wait for the Lord, and he will come and save you!
Be brave, stouthearted and courageous.
Yes, wait and he will help you.
(Psalm 27:14, The Living Bible-TLB)

48 comments:

  1. That is a large lizard indeed. The sky is lovely and a pleasure to see.
    Interesting how you cook your chicken soup.
    Do you put the soup in the fridge to chill so you can remove that fat?
    Take care Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. I don't need to put the soup in the fridge because I have a oil sieve to remove the fat from the top of the soup.

      Delete
  2. I love the shot of the golden sunrise, love the silhouettes of the trees. The 3rd shot is another good one!

    Eeekkkkk!!! Why is the monitor lizard so fat? What has it swallowed? We have a lot of them around here too but they will make a dash for it at the sight of any humans, no chance of taking any photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know whether it was something it swallowed or it was pregnant.

      Delete
  3. I love the second golden sunrise shot the most, so beautiful, you can actually print the photo and frame it up 🖼️.

    Wow such a huge creature!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nancy,
    Beautiful series of sky captures, the second and third shots are my favorite.
    The flowers are beautiful, I like the cheery yellow and orange colors together. The lizard looks chubby, I hope it is well. Great photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, have a happy weekend! PS, thank you for the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I feel so scared looking at the monitor lizard! I have not thought of steaming pork ribs with cauliflower. It must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wanted to save time and work. So I steam them together.

      Delete
  6. Nice to see the rapidly transforming sky pics. The monitor lizard is beautiful, but wouldn't like seeing him in the drain outside. Awesome food as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shiju. Neither do I want to come face to face with the monitor lizard.

      Delete
  7. Bak chang looks good...cute lizard! Beautiful bauhinia kockiana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That big lizard is something else! We are seeing a lot of small ones right now. I think they like the hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not seeing any because I am scared of them.

      Delete
  9. I have never seen that ugly lizard luckily they don't live in Poland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do not come near to my area too.

      Delete
  10. Don't these monitor lizards live to be very large? I wouldn't go near them at all.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...7:26 was the golden hour! Enjoy your weekend Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your simple breakfast looks like one I would have, and the dinner just looks wonderfully delicious. I never thought of monitor lizards living there. At least this one is small enough to not be so intimidating. What a beautiful golden sunrise, and the flowers remind one of the colors of a beautiful sunset. Enjoyed reading this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Yvonne. Have a beautiful new week.

      Delete
  13. Cute lizzard, allthough I probably would be afraid :)) great skies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riitta. I would be afraid of the lizard too.

      Delete
  14. I love to eat half boiled eggs like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby loves it but I will only eat once in a while.

      Delete
  15. Glorious sky shots. Give that lizard a wide berth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bonitas fotos del amanecer. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The monitor lizard is so big. Your bauhinia kockiana flowers are so colourful. Soup meals are very nice to eat. What brand of pressure pot are you using? Not common to find gas pressure pots nowadays since electrical multicookers are popular now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun. I bought this gas pressure pot many years ago when my boys were still kids. The brand is Lagostina pressure cooker from Italy.

      Delete
    2. Lagostina is a very good brand for pressure pots. my mother inlaw uses it too for pressure pots. I don't think it is sold locally here. At least I couldn't find it. Let me search shopee and Lazada afterwards.

      Delete
    3. I think you can still buy these pots online. Since I have this, I didn't buy the electric pressure cooker.

      Delete
  18. Uy pobre lagartito. Genial comida adoro la coliflor. Te mando un beso

    ReplyDelete
  19. Never heard of bauhinia kockiana.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a big lizard, and hope it drove safely to the forest. Great sky shots! Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  21. You still produced a yummy dinner despite the short prep time. :)

    One thing my mum insisted we must have is a ceiling fan in the kitchen. Which even the contractor was questioning. But end up it's useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not make sense to the contractor, but your mum is right. My mini fan makes my kitchen more bearable especially during this hot season.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...