Wednesday 16 March 2022

Steamed Tilapia With Koay Teow & Home Grown Cucumbers

Have  you eaten steamed fish with noodle before? I haven't. When this eatery suggested this dish to us, twice we rejected. It was only after a friend recommended it to us saying that it is very good, only then we got curious and wanted to try. The opportunity came when I was not in the mood to cook, so we decided to have this dish for special dinner.

We drove out early, about 5:30pm to Restoran WSF 33, Jalan Bharu (parallel to Jalan Tokong), Taman Hoover, Ipoh. We prefer to eat and leave early to avoid the dinner crowd.
If you have been following my blog, you would have noticed that lately we have been here quite often to try out the different types of steamed fish. This is the way to encourage hubby to eat fish.
Part of their menu.
We couldn't get our friends to join us since it was a last minute decision, so we ordered only 2 dishes without rice.
Blanched vegetable (choy fah).
Steamed Tilapia (smaller size) with koay teow (flat rice noodle). The koay teow was separated into 2 portions; one on each side of the fish.
So instead of rice, we had koay teow (noodle) with the fish and vegetable. Ipoh is known for its soft, silky koay teow. For those who love fish and koay teow, you will enjoy this dish. Hubby paid RM37 for the 2 dishes.
~~~~~
From my garden.
These are my cucumber plants.
Cucumbers harvested from my garden.
Instead of buying fresh coconut water, I have been blending cucumber juice for hubby and I. Sometimes we have it plain, sometimes I add some salted sour plum (assam boi) to the cucumber juice for extra flavour.
Some of the produce from my garden.
The extra will be shared with friends and neighbours.


Only the person involved can know his own bitterness
or joy - no one else can really share it.
(Proverbs 14:10, The Living Bible-TLB)

50 comments:

  1. The steamed fish looks so good! I love your homegrown vegetables, esp. the bitter gourds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We like this white bitter gourds so I will try to keep growing this in my garden. Not easy to get the seeds even from the plant nursery.

      Delete
  2. Fish is so healthy! I hope you get your husband to eat it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. He will eat when we dine out.

      Delete
  3. Your cucumbers look good.
    Love fish but husband doesn't care for it often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. Your situation is same as mine.

      Delete
  4. The vegetables look great. The fish head.. I could not ;-)
    But you are right, we should eat fish more often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iris. Sorry about the fish head.

      Delete
  5. first time i m seeing steamed tilapia with kuey teow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember having tilapia steamed, usually deep fried...and of course, we never had kway teow with it. My old landlady in Kuching in the 70's once cooked mee sua with ikan lumek and it was so delicious - never tried cooking my own, cannot stand the invisible bones in the fish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We seldom have fried tilapia, usually steamed. If fried, it is usually topped with Thai sauce.

      Delete
  7. I have eaten steamed fish slices with kway teow but not whole Steamed fish like whole Tilapia With Koay Teow. Doesn't the bone make it complex to eat? Love your Home Grown Cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, we didn't have any problem with the fish bones. Hubby didn't even complain.

      Delete
  8. So lovely to see your harvest! Noodle and steamed fish sounds interesting!
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd like to live in a house with a garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fish but hubby doesn't. When we cruise I make sure I have fish once a day. I like tilapia but it is filleted. No head for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the same with us. I love fish. At least hubby eats fish when we dine out so I am not complaining. Sorry about the head. Lol!

      Delete
  11. ...I like the menu boards!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love all the fluffy clouds. Beautiful.

    Oh the food. I've not had breakfast yet. I want some of all that food.

    You've such a wonderful green thumb.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. I do enjoy my gardening.

      Delete
  13. I am glad there were pictures of the food on the menu, because I don't read Chinese. Haha. I tend to like pasta more than rice, so your meal would appeal to me. Nice bounty from your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gigi. I only read a bit of Chinese so these pictures are very helpful.

      Delete
  14. wow you are such a great green thumb gardener! Can you grow vegetables year round? Have a lovely and delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kathe. Yes, we can grow vegetables all year round because we don't have 4 seasons here.

      Delete
  15. I love fish, and this dish looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The choy Fah looks pretty good

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nancy,what do you do in your garden to make your plants look very healthy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norma. Nothing special, just water and fertilizer.

      Delete
  18. Your produce always looks so fresh and inviting! Cucumber juice sounds very healthful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. Cucumber juice very refreshing and soothing to the throat.

      Delete
  19. Rico pescado geniales legumbres. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Tilapia seems to have become the universal fish, served everywhere in the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can breed easily and adaptable everywhere.

      Delete
  21. Cucumber plants are rich in green, and your harvest from your garden is wonderful, and your sharing with neighbors reminds me of one of us who used to share bananas and stalks from their homegrown with us. Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tu planta de pepino se ve muy bien y tambiƩn tu cosecha, me encanta verla. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I've not seen kuey teow with fish like that. Only tunghoon with crab/fish on top. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...