Wednesday 9 November 2022

Fruitful Bottle Gourd Plants In my Garden

There are 3 bottle gourd plants growing in a big pot in my garden.

After harvesting the 1st batch of bottle gourds, more bottle gourds appeared on the vines.
Some of the gourds have different shapes.
But mostly, they are shaped like the above.
I love to see the gourds hanging down from the vines.
There was one hanging down right in the middle of the walking path and hubby and I sometimes get knocked on the head by the gourd. Recently, I harvested one of the biggest gourd and found that it grown a bit old. The skin got very, very hard to cut.
So, I quickly went out to the garden to harvest the above 6 gourds before they got too old. Fortunately, the flesh is still edible and haven't got fibrous. I have used 2 of the gourds for cooking our dinners and given away the other 4 gourds to friends.
1st dinner: A one dish dinner with steamed brown rice.
A self invented dish. I don't have a name for this dish. I made minced chicken breast meat + fish paste patties. I fried the patties. I lightly brown some chopped garlic in the pot, add the cut gourd and water and let it cook. When the gourd is soft, I add the patties and let it simmer a short while, add salt to taste. I forgot that the gourd will release water so it looks like a soupy dish. We finished the whole dish.
2nd dinner: We had boiled gourd soup, steamed Chinese sausage and steamed brown rice.
Ingredients for soup: Bottle gourd, pork rib, carrot, red dates, goji berrries and dried cuttlefish.
Steamed Chinese sausage with casing removed.
Chili and soy sauce dipping.
Visitors to my mini bottle gourd farm.
My friends were wowed by the size of the gourds.


Don't be impressed with your own wisdom.
Instead, fear the LORD and turn away from evil.
(Proverbs 3:7, New Living Translation-NLT)

48 comments:

  1. i almost got tricked from the last photo which u cleverly use angle/distance trick to make the bottle gourd looks gigantic. Yea, they are indeed huge (even without applying the camera trick)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nux. The last photos were taken by my friend. He is good with the camera trick. Lol!

      Delete
  2. I really geram your bottle gourds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PH. Yes, yes, I know. I cannot admire the bottle gourds hanging from the vines for too long. I have to harvest them before they get too matured. Now waiting for the little fruits to grow big.

      Delete
  3. Wow, the gourds are not only beautiful, they are huge!
    The nameless dish looks good :-)
    P.S. orange text is always a link, so you can easily see what Langos are :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iris. Noted about the orange text.

      Delete
  4. That's so cool! I didn't know that Bottle Gourd was a vegetable known to other parts of the world besides India :-). As I am having some difficulty logging in, putting the link to my blog - https://flightsofthesoul.wordpress.com, if you'd like to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can buy bottle gourds in the wet market. Ours is a multi national community so it is not surprising to find bottle gourds here too.

      Delete
  5. Can give to friends and family or sell at the market! We get tired of things we grow when there is a bountiful harvest and we have to eat it all the time! Are you like that too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whenever we have excess from bountiful harvest, I will usually share with friends so that we won't get tired eating the same thing all the time.

      Delete
  6. Your gourds are really huge, wow, they will make a lot of dinners. well done on being such a good gardener. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. These bottle gourds are gigantic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your collage has the same wow factor as your pals standing near to the bottle gourds! Excellent home garden cultivation

    ReplyDelete
  9. As I have said before your little garden is amazing, you produce so much. You must have green fingers and a green thumb 😊
    Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. During this rainy season, only this bottle gourd is doing well.

      Delete
  10. ...Nancy, your garden produces an amazing and diverse crop.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Nancy. Your bottle gourds look gigantic with your friends. I like all your dishes cooked with bitter gourd. Will eat one small bowl each. May your bottle gourds vines keep on being fruitful. How long did you grown them before they start to bear fruits?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't really keep track but I think it is about 2 months when they started fruiting.

      Delete
  12. They do look just like bottles. Will they always be green, or are they not ripe yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. I think as they mature, the green will grow deeper and ultimately will grow brown.

      Delete
  13. The gourds look fabulous. Hollowed out they would make wonderful bird houses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. Great idea to turn them into bird houses.

      Delete
  14. Those gourds look like squash in Hawaii. Delicious and nutritious when cooked with meat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never ate a gourd. I would love to try them though.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  16. Me encantaron tus calabazas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those gourds look amazing! I can't believe how big they are!
    Julia x
    https://www.thevelvetrunway.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your gourds could feed many people for a few days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soup with 1 bottle gourd could easily feed 6 people.

      Delete
  19. Geniales calabazas, te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. You certainly can grow them well Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing your bottle gourd vines and fruits. It is an eye-pleasing sight. No wonder why your friends enjoyed the visit to your mini farm. Keep it up! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your bottle gourds are big! Loving your farm.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL at the strategically-placed gourd smacking passers-by.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...