Monday 11 January 2016

Growing Euphorbia Viguieri Ankarafantsiensis In My Garden.

This long name is quite a mouthful for me to pronounce - Euphorbia Viguieri ankarafantsiensis! Some gardening experts from the gardening groups helped me identify this plant and came up with this long name. On my own effort, I would never be able to identify this plant. A big 'Thank you' to all the helpful people who helped with the identification.
I first saw this plant at my friend's parent's house in Taiping.
We were visiting with our friend who took us along for a day trip to Taiping.
Her mom has many of this cactus plants inside and outside of her compound.
Some of her plants are about 4 feet tall.
So kind of her mom to dig out a baby plant from the ground for me.
She was very generous and wanted to give me more but I declined.
One is enough for me due to limited space in my garden.
The baby plant has branched out into three and it is growing beautifully in a medium sized pot in my garden. My plant is now more than a foot tall. I like the pink colour on the leaves.
Most of the time the leaf base will be pink like in the photos but sometimes the whole leaves will be pink too.
The stem is full of fine needles or fine prickly hairs.
The base of the stem is small but it gets bigger as it grows taller. I wonder how tall it will grow when it is planted in a pot.
I grow the plant in normal garden soil and I water it daily except when it rains.
It is easy to maintain and so far, it has been pest free.
I feed it with fertilizer once in every 2 to 3 weeks.
 The leaves are about 8 inches long. I think if it is planted in the ground the plant will be taller and the leaves will be longer. 
So far I have not seen any blooms and I do not know whether this is a flowering plant or not.
 The deep pink attractive centre more than make up for the lack of blooms.
 These photos were taken after a downpour.
This one looks like a clear crystal sticking onto the leaf.

Wisdom is more valuable than gold and crystal.
It cannot be purchased with jewels mounted in fine gold.
(Job 28:17, NLT)

58 comments:

  1. I also do not know how to pronounce the name...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Sharon, me too! Too long and too difficult to pronounce.

      Delete
  2. http://thebonusbustersreview.com/the-lost-ways-book-review/


    Everyone that aims at mastery must strive for it. There is always a price to pay or a cross to carry for a crown. To have a victory one must fight a battle. In this article I have provided 16 Survival Strategies that one can adopt to outlive the troubles of life.

    http://channelrangersoftwarereview.com/the-lost-ways-ebook-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Roja for your visit. Have a pleasant day!

      Delete
  3. I like the beautiul leaves but I don't think I want to plant. Too many fine needles. Scared being prick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, initially I didn't want to plant anything prickly but the beauty of the plant won my heart.

      Delete
  4. That's really lovely, a fine plant indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful leaves but scary needles.
    Enjoying your shots, Nancy especially those crystal drops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the shot of scarlet on the leaves, such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...that is indeed a beautiful cactus, with a name that I find hard to remember! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. I just call it pink leaves cactus plant..lol!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful plant- I love the coloring. I imagine it might grow much bigger planted in the ground, but it looks perfect in the pot. I don't think I have seen this particular plant, but something similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. This is not a common plant because I only get to see it in my friend's parents' house.

      Delete
  9. Excelente trabalho e belas fotografias.
    Um abraço e boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a nice garden collection you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Catherine. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  11. Hello, what a lovely plant. I like the colorful leaves. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. Happy Monday and enjoy your new week too!

      Delete
  12. Hello Nancy!:)It is a very attractive plant. Be careful not to prick your fingers on those spikes!!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Breathtaking. Oh yes, I will be very careful with those spikes.

      Delete
  13. From looking at the leaves I was surprised to find out it was really a cactus. It's doing really well in your care.Have a great day,
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. It is easy to care for plant.

      Delete
  14. I have not seen this plant before. The pink in the middle is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun, I also have not seen this plant in the nursery or friends' house.

      Delete
  15. So beautiful, I love the colours and patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  16. the top of the plant looks so different than the cactus stems. very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Theresa. It was the top of the plant that attracted me and not the pricky stems.

      Delete
  17. I love the pink in the fresh green!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ankara in its name would suggest Turkey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, William. I wonder what is the meaning of Ankara.....

      Delete
  19. I love the pink in the leaves too! It nearly looks like a bloom! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christine. That was what makes me want to grow this plant.

      Delete
  20. So pretty. I love pink...and that's just enough pink to make them pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephanie. And it is a very beautiful pink.

      Delete
  21. Cacti's are wonderful in the correct area. Some flowers are ever so pretty. The leave are a lovely shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret. It is just so amazing that there are so many varieties of cacti.

      Delete
  22. It's rather beautiful with the bright pink centre.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is a beautiful plant...I would never have guessed it had all those pricklies by looking at the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Initially I didn't want this plant when I saw those pricklies but when I looked at the beautiful pink centre, I changed my mind.

      Delete
  24. This is very unique plant, I really like how it combines green & pink colors! Wishing you lovely week!

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nancy, the pinkish parts of the leaves is very attractive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. That was what attracted me to this plant.

      Delete
  26. The pink parts are pretty. Don't like the thorns though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Stacy, the pretty pink parts made me choose to overlook the thorns.

      Delete
  27. a beautiful plant for sure. But sticky down those beautiful petals :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. It is a very interesting plant. The beautiful leaves camouflaged the prickly needles!

      Delete
  28. Wow it's amazing dear:) kiss

    http://denimakeup95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  29. How is this plant doing? I have one myself and was wondering how it's held up for you. It's technically not a cactus. Cacti occur in North and South America. This Euphorbia grows in North Central Madagascar. Be careful handling it if you ever need to prune it. Like all Euphorbias it will exude a toxic white sap that can burn the skin and causes great pain if gotten into mucus membranes. Definitely avoid the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the information and caution. The first plant I have discarded when it grew too big and tall. Later I found baby plants growing and now I have a small plant in a pot.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...