Wednesday 28 September 2022

Growing Cranberry Hibiscus In My Garden

As usual our day started with morning walk

at 6:42am
Sunrise at 7:40am
In March this year about 6 months ago, I received a cranberry cutting from a friend. From  this 1 cutting, I now have 2 pots of cranberry plants. When my friend told me that her plants have flowered, I went out to check on my plants.
True enough, I saw a few flower buds on the plants. Few days later, I started to see flowers.
The first cranberry flower from my garden. My cranberry plants are now about 7 feet tall. I couldn't bring myself to trim off the top of the plants because of the flower buds.
Cranberry hibiscus has greenish purple/red colour leaves and they look like maple leaves. The colour of the flowers are in deep cranberry red. They flower all the year round. They are now exposed to the morning sun. I hope to move them to a place with full sun exposure.
These plants are easy to grow and easy to maintain. It is easy to propagate from stem cuttings and seeds. I have yet to get to see the seeds and I will try propagating from seeds if when available.
Information from the internet concerning cranberry hibiscus:
The leaves and flower petals contain antioxidants, calcium, iron and vitamins B2, B3 and C. Both the leaves and flower petals can be eaten raw in salads and stir fries. The leaves taste tart and sourish like cranberries.
At the end of the day, the flowers will fold up inward and look like the above.
The folded flowers are then collected and the petals removed to be used to steep in hot water or blended with lime juice and sugar.
The tea has the colour of cranberries, taste sweet and tart like cranberries and can be taken hot or cold.
Hibiscus tea promotes belly fat burning, weight loss, reduces fat absorption and lowering bad cholesterol.
As with all herbal remedy, drinking too much hibiscus tea could cause possible side effects as such faintness, drowsiness, and etc. I have not tried consuming the leaves or flowers of the cranberry hibiscus.


When you go through deep waters and great trouble, I will be with you.
When you go through rivers of difficulty, you will not drown!
When you walk through the fire of oppression,
you will not be burned up - the flames will not consume you.
(Isaiah 43:2, The Living Bible-TLB)

40 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing Nancy, what a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Can be used to make tea some more. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cranberry hibiscus looks so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nature is beautiful and amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting flower. Can try it in salad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a beautiful flower, love the colour, too. And even better if it can be used as a tea! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. Hugs. Have a great day too.

      Delete
  7. The cranberry flower is a beautiful colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...it sure looks happy in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We bought a hibiscus flower that had the flower so very large but only flowered one day and then dies but it's blood red or pink. We love the flower.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too love the very large hibiscus flowers. Sad that the flowers only last for 1 day.

      Delete
  10. Thank you Nancy for the many photos of this beautiful flower. My late father used to buy dried cranberry hibiscus flowers to soak in hot water for all of us to drink as a juice, not drinking it to improve health. I like the taste because it is sourish with the fragrance of flower. So nice that you have your own cranberry flower plants. Do you plan to try the cranberry flower drink?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun. I have yet to try the flower drink.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful sky and beautiful flowers.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful flower. The colour looks so rich.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very pretty color. Nice for tea. Gigi hawaii

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a beautiful flower with great color. I wouldn't eat any of it until I learned exactly what chemicals they produce. It's nice that it is so easy to propagate them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is better to find out more before trying.

      Delete
  15. It's best to be taught how to properly use plants for medicine by someone who already knows how.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bellas flores. Te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. A beautiful flower with a second purpose. Very interesting article.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As usual I enjoyed watching plants 'grow' in your blog. Thought there would be fruits from the 'cranberry' name. So it's actually in the hibiscus family.... the plant looks different though.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...