Saturday 1 September 2018

I Didn't Know That My Hibiscus Petals Make Delicious Salad

Few mornings ago, I was watering my plants as usual. As I reached the end of my garden to water the Hibiscus plants, I noticed that one of the yellow hibiscus flower bud had a gaping hole.
I took a closer look and it seemed that something has bitten off the petals of this flower bud. It has also taken a bite off the other smaller flower bud, as you can see from the above picture.
I started to look for the culprit and then I spotted this yellow faced hopper looking at me from behind the hibiscus leaves. It looked like it was giving me a wide grin.
I quickly took a snapshot of this cheeky grinning face.
The grinning hopper then moved further behind a leaf.
Can you see the jagged edges of the leaf it was clinging to?
It must have chewed on it too.
Then it started to climb up the hibiscus plant until it reached the top.
I thought it will fly away but it didn't.
It just perched up there watching my every movement.
Then it moved down and turned its back towards me.
Then it moved again to try to hide itself behind the hibiscus stem.
When I turned the water spray on it, off it went to cling onto this Japanese Bamboo plant some distance away.
The next morning, I noticed that the hopper came back to finish off most of the Hibiscus petals, leaving behind the style and stigma of the flower. It must have found the petals delicious to be eaten as salad!
At least, it didn't chewed up all the flowers.
It left behind one for me to enjoy a blooming Hibiscus flower.
The next day, I saw the hopper perched on the winged beans plant that is next to the Hibiscus plants. I suppose it couldn't go far because it has lost one of its hind legs or that it finds my Hibiscus flowers delicious and irresistible.

Linking to Saturday's Critters.
But remember this -
the wrong desires that come into your life aren't anything new and different.
Many others have faced exactly the same problems before you.
And no temptation is irresistible. You can trust God to keep the
temptation from becoming so strong that you can't stand up against it,
for he has promised this and will do what he says.
He will show you how to escape temptation's power
so that you can bear up patiently against it.
(1 Corinthians 10:13, The Living Bible-TLB)

52 comments:

  1. I would love some to add to my salads :-) Have a great weekend, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure about eating hibiscus as salad but I enjoy the beautiful flowers.

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is a huge hopper. Since he is now disabled he's found a ready supply of food in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am worried about. He will start munching on my plants. Sigh!

      Delete
  3. Hello, Nancy!
    You have great photos of the grasshopper. It is not good he is eating your plants. The hibiscus bloom is very pretty. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend! PS, thanks also for the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope he will decide to hop to another garden. Have a happy new week!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I hope the hopper won't decide to stay long in my garden!

      Delete
  5. Many flowers are edible, by us or by other creatures. Great photos of the hopper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. En mi jardín hay bastantes y se comen parte de mis flores. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We both posted grasshoppers today! I have not seen one like this, he is yellow and black and has a pattern. Looking like fall. Too bad he has lost a leg, but that sure hasn't stopped his appetite. The hibiscus is beautiful, very pretty color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a nice coincidence! I didn't see the hopper today, hope he has decided to move to another place.

      Delete
  8. I thought you ate the hibiscus petals as salad from your title. I have seen restaurants serving flower petals in their salad before. The grasshopper did not seem to be scared of you and your camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not tried eating hibiscus petals. I think its a cheeky grasshopper.

      Delete
  9. That is a very cheeky, greedy hopper.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Amalia! A very cheeky and greedy hopper! Ha ha ha...

      Delete
  10. That's the biggest grasshopper I've ever seen. Great shots.

    Have a fabulous day. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee! I have seen bigger ones than this.

      Delete
  11. So funny of you to say the Hibiscus flowers are like salad to the hopper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know whether to be angry or laugh at the cheeky hopper!

      Delete
  12. A pretty hopper but they can be so destructive!!!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Diane! Since I saw that it is one legged, I could bring myself to chase it away. Hope it will not destroy my plants.

      Delete
  13. That cheeky insect looks like he's playing hide and seek with you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh dear! You have the same problem too. Yours is a matured grasshopper whereas I am invaded by the young ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...1 big matured hopper is more than enough to bald my plants and flowers.

      Delete
  15. Your hibiscus look so good.
    And I love your pics.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous flora and nature macro shots! Nature's beauty!

    Happy Day to you,
    A ShutterBug Explores

    ReplyDelete
  17. Edible flowers are becoming quite popular! Lovely pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sallie but I haven't tried eating flowers.

      Delete
  18. Oh I thought you were making the salad for yourself!

    Grasshoppers are tough to get rid of huh. I also find they won't go away easily, just hop over to a nearby section and wait there. Just this one hopper caused so much visible damage already.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't seen a yellow Hopper,this is really very big.I know these are garden enemies but I think not too cruel,kept that one blooming Hibiscus for you to be happy :) ...Lovely color of the Hibiscus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I didn't have the heart to harm them, as long as they don't destroy my plants.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...