Thursday 7 February 2019

Homecook Prosperity Dish - Poon Choy.

This year I tried something new. For the 1st day of Chinese New Year, I tried cooking a Prosperity Dish aka "Poon Choy" or "Treasure Pot". It is up to the individual to choose whatever treasures to make up the dish.
Since I was cooking a braised pork leg with black mushrooms, I used it as the main centre ingredient.
Other ingredients surrounding the braised pork leg (clockwise starting from the bottom): black mushrooms, prawns, fresh white mushrooms, cloud ear fungus, scallops, canned abalones, and cauliflower. Only the prawns and scallops were pan fried, the rest of the ingredients were blanched. The thickened gravy from the braised pork leg were then poured over the whole dish.
This was our dinner for the 1st day of CNY. Our prosperity or treasure pot plus 2 other left over dishes from previous meals.
Dawn photo taken at the recreational park.
Lovely reflection in the water.
I can't remember what I have sowed. It looked like Hyacinth beans plant. Will have to wait to confirm.
Both brinjals are already too old to be edible. Will be using the seeds from these old brinjals to grow new plants.
Linking to Good Fences.

Light-seeds are planted in the souls of God's people,
Joy-seeds are planted in good heart-soil.
(Psalm 97:11, The Message-MSG)\

40 comments:

  1. Your dawn photo of the mountains, lake, and reflection are gorgeous!! The pink plant has stems that are winding around each other, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am attracted to the prawns and scallops in your poon choy - so delicious! so yummy! I believe you are correct about it being the Hyacinth beans plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prawns and scallops were the favourites. Yes, it turned out to be Hyacinth beans plant!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful dawn shots! I miss the pork legs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your poon choy must be very delicious! It is so expensive at the restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For past 2 years I was very tempted to order one from the restaurant but decided against it. This year I finally got to created one myself! The result was quite good.

      Delete
  5. First time I've seen Pork leg poon choy. It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy! Its my first time too! Lol!

      Delete
  6. I love poon choy, i had eaten it once i think, so expensive to buy from outside

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I haven't eaten restaurant before. So this is my first and it was home cooked! Lol!

      Delete
  7. Beautiful photos on the park and lake reflection! Pretty bloom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your meal looks delicious. It was so nice to see the reflection on the lake, very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like a bit of everything from that dish. Beautiful.

    Your dawn was captured perfectly.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those dawn photos are lovely. Your meal looks good as well. Enjoy your day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  11. I bet your food smelled as good as it looked! We have a famous Asian Market Place not far away and I hope Louis Dean and I can go on Saturday. They have all sorts of entertainment scheduled plus I’ll get a chance to do some shopping. I am not an adventurous cook and wouldn’t know how to make any of the dishes I admire on your blog.....but it would be fun to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I am glad the new dish turned out well! Lol!

      Delete
  12. Nancy!
    Hyacinth beans are very large. This is the first time I see such a plant.
    The food looks delicious.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beans are appearing. Looking forward to harvest them soon!

      Delete
  13. Precioso amanecer y preciosas fotos Nancy. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A prosperity dish, i hope it works for you! Your sky and plant pictures always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dawn pictures are spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely dawn landscapes. I miss having fresh scallops. The kind I buy here are bitter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can get both the dried and frozen scallops.

      Delete
  17. Good fence shot. Love the reflection and the food. Have a wonderful week ahead

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...