Tuesday 5 February 2019

Reunion Dinner Chinese New Year Eve 2019

Happy Chinese New Year! Today is the 1st day of Chinese New Year 2019. Yesterday evening we had our reunion dinner. It was a simple home cooked dinner for a family of 4 people.
 Our reunion dinner including a soup (not in the picture) for 2019.
 I bought this Yee Sang (Chinese New Year toss salad) - small portion.
 Sweet sour fish fillet.
My son brought back a big Snapper fish which he caught on his fishing trip.
 Steamed chicken.
 Blanched baby kai lan with garlic oil, drizzled with oyster sauce and soy sauce.
Lotus root soup with pork rib, carrot, red dates and goji berries.
  I saw someone posting on Facebook about making an egg stand on its end. Out of fun and curiosity, I took an egg from the fridge and try it out on a table.  After a few tries, I was so surprised that the egg stood still without rolling over. This was very unusual. 
After a while, the egg started to sweat - due to change of temperature.
Can you see the beads of water on the egg?
I left it on the table overnight to see if the egg rolls over. It was still standing when I checked on it this morning at about 6.30 am. It finally rolled over when I checked it again at about 8.00 am.
 Breaking of dawn on Chinese New Year eve. We went for our early morning walk as usual but the place was rather quiet minus the usual crowd.

But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure
 and full of quiet gentleness.
Then it is peace-loving and courteous.
It allows discussion and is willing to yield to others;
it is full of mercy and good deeds.
It is wholehearted and straightforward and sincere.
(James 3:17, The Living Bible-TLB)
*     *     *     *     *
The following picture is from the National Museum, KL.
  1. The scent bottle on a chain is more than 200 years old. The bottle is decorated with fine gold filigree featuring a four-petaled flower motif.
  2. Celepa - a gold tobacco box shaped in the form of a star. It has ten points like the petals of a flower. Was owned by a Sultan Zainal Abidin I of Trengganu (1725-1733).

41 comments:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope this year brings you many blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful eve to celebrate with family.

    Have a fabulous, happy, healthy and prosperous Chinese New Year, my friend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Chinese New Year. I guess we will be testing the egg thing out shortly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting how you put stand the egg and good capture on the New Year dawn
    Happy Chinese New Year to you and family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year, i am glad you got to celebrate with family.

    Is standing the egg up supposed to bring good luck for the new year?

    That box is too pretty to be filled with stinky tobacco, at least to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi! I don't know about the luck thing but you can try balancing the eggs at any time of the year. I did it just for fun and curiosity.

      Delete
  6. Xin nian kuai le, Nancy. We had lotus root soup too. Alamak ...today is lap chun..again didnt do the standing egg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did it out of curiosity and for fun when I saw someone posted on FB! Lol!

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year! That egg is amazing, now we'll all be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy CNY to you and your family! May good health, happiness, and prosperity be yours this year. Tasty dishes that you cooked for your reunion dinner. Next year, I must remember to try making an egg stand.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Chinese New Year wishing you everything you wish for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These ancient things are wonderful! So intricate and beautiful. So was the egg raw or hard cooked?

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...last night I watched Antiques Roadshow on PBS. The celepa and scent bottle could have been on the show. Thanks Nancy for sharing, enjoy the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year. Interesting re the egg must try that one out 😉 Have a good day Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! Some eggs are easier to stand than others.

      Delete
  13. Espero que lo hayas pasado muy bien. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like good food and interesting antiques.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Apologies for visiting late, such a coincidence, my mom also cooked lotus root soup for our CNY reunion dinner. I love the steam chicken the most, yums! Your CNY reunion dinner is simple yet delicious!

    Saw the standing egg in Facebook. I think I tried before but wasn't successful hee hee, maybe because I tried it on normal day and not on Lap Chun.

    Happy Chinese New Year Nancy, may you enjoy the best of health, peace and happiness in the Year of the Pig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! I think I will want to try the standing egg one of these days to see if I can get one to stand! Lol! May you also enjoy the best of health, peace and happiness throughout the year!

      Delete
  16. Happy new year to you and your family!

    I saw the egg trick on FB but didn't think of trying haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year to you and family too! I am glad I did. I was fascinated when the egg stood still! Hahahaa!

      Delete
  17. Happy new year to you! Looks like you had a marvelous feast.
    Thanks for joining us at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2019/02/time-for-tune-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a feast! u have Kikkoman soy sauce bottle and the same dining table as mine...and at first glance I really thought that is my house dining table!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nux V! I bought the soy sauce because of the bottle. The dining table is very convenient because I can enlarge or reduce the size of the table.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...