Monday 30 September 2019

Melt In The Mouth Char Siew Or Chinese BBQ Pork

I normally make char siew or Chinese bbq pork using my oven but this time I wanted to try an easier way to avoid cleaning up the oven. This time I used a non-stick frying pan to cook my char siew.

After washing the pork belly, it was patted dry with a kitchen paper towel. I marinated the pork belly and kept it overnight in the fridge. Ingredients for marinate: nam yue (red fermented bean curd), sugar, oyster sauce, honey or maltose, chopped garlic, dark sauce, Chinese cooking wine and salt.
Place the pork belly and sauce into a non-stick frying pan. Add water to rinse the remaining sauce and add to the frying pan. Once the sauce started to boil, simmer over low fire.
Make sure the sauce is not dried up. Turn once or twice and simmer until cooked. Let the sauce thicken like the above.
My melt in the mouth char siew (Chinese bbq pork).
This char siew cooked in a non-stick frying pan tastes better than cooked in an oven. From now on, whenever I feel like eating melt in the mouth char siew, I can easily make it myself.
*     *     *     *     *
That evening, we were having dinner in our friend's house. Together with the char siew, I fried egg omelette with chopped salted preserved vegetable (tai tau choy).
 The char siew and egg omelette went into the tiffin carrier to take to my friend's house.
At our friend's house, we stir fried sweet potato leaves (from my garden) with spicy sambal paste.
Our friend boiled this tasty old cucumber soup and she also cooked rice. It was a delightful and satisfying dinner enjoyed by 3 friends.

Don't copy the behavior and customs of this world, but be a new
and different person with a fresh newness in all you do and think.
Then you will learn from your own experience
how his ways will really satisfy you.
(Romans 12:2, The Living Bible-TLB)

48 comments:

  1. ...this sure looks good and different to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your homemade meals are always a favourite, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wah, you are truly a pro, can make melt in the mouth char siew with a non stick frying pan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun. Actually, no need to be a pro. The recipe is very easy with the proper ingredients.

      Delete
  4. I am hungry just looking at your homemade melt in the mouth char siew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks so yummy, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow....I m impressed with the char siew! looks so good and tempting...yummmzzz! I can eat a lot of rice with just that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wahhhh... I miss the Char siew! Must do that again, Nancy! Now you are very pro already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire. Yes, I too miss the char siew.

      Delete
  8. Twoja posiłki są dla mnie niezwykle to jak podróż do innego kraju. Życzę miłego tygodnia:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your char siew left me drooling! I must try your recipe and method :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PH. I am sure yours will turn out much better than mine.

      Delete
  10. This looks so good...and I too am tempted to try your method for barbecue.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a feast. I'm hungry. I've not had my breakfast yet.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your review as always ))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the different types of food ( It's different for me ) See ya Nancy.


    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isn't it wonderful when you figure out the best way to cook something so you always know how you want to make it for yourself. It's like discovering a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. Yes, I have found a priceless treasure!

      Delete
  15. It all looks so good but the pork looks amazing. You are a great cook.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Seguro que estaba todo muy bueno. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Char siew looks good all right! It shrunk a bit during cooking huh... guess that's why it's quite costly to buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stacy. Char siew and siew yoke tend to shrink during cooking. Buying these 2 items from outside is not cheap these days.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...