Wednesday 28 September 2016

Air Plants Or Tillandsia.

Last month we were at the Pet Fiesta held in Menglembu. Hubby was attracted to this Air Plants stall and he took some photos of the air plants that were on display there. At that time I was not paying much attention to the air plants. My attention then was on the furry pets.
Scientific name of Air Plant is Tillandsia. It is an evergreen plant. At first glance from afar, I thought these were baby pineapple plants. Air plants do not necessary need soil to grow. They can be found growing on other plants, rocks or in soil.
There plants are usually in green or grey colours. Air plants make great house or indoor plants. With some imagination, these air plants can beautify our homes or offices.
This air plant is placed in a glass container with good air circulation. Air plant gets moisture or nutrients from the air around them. If the air is dry, it will need some misting to get moisture.
 Place air plants away from direct sunlight or in partial shade. Air plants does not have much roots.
 Air plants are low maintenance plants. They are small and can fit into small and cute containers. Propagation of air plants are through offshoots growing from the mother plants.
I have seen Air Plants with bright red or pink leaves and bright flowers. Air plants are not cheap. I have been thinking of getting some air plants. But until now, I have not decided whether I should add any more plants to my garden. I once saw a very beautiful air plant in the nursery but the price was too costly for me!
*     *     *     *     *
The following photos are for joining Flower Wednesday. 
A flower bud of my Alcasia plant.
 From bud to flower.
Deep pink/red periwinkle flowers.
These periwinkle flowers help to brighten up this corner of my garden.
A pair of Peace Lily blooms. 


For, after all, the important thing for us as Christians
is not what we eat or drink but stirring up
goodness and peace and joy from the Holy Spirit.
(Romans 14:17, The Living Bible-TLB)

60 comments:

  1. Belas plantas e lindas decorações florais.
    Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find airplants quite amazing. Somehow always think soil is necessary for plants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tillandsias look very decorative in their glass bowls. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Nancy!:) Your hubby takes good photos!:) Tillansia are amazing plants, so decorative and useful to have inside the home. They are like us, and need air to survive. How cool is that!! I also have a plant that grows well in sand, or in water, with no soil required for a healthy plant. It's just incredible, how nature can produce plants like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Breathtaking. Nature is amazing! Have a great day!

      Delete
  5. Wow beautiful plants . Love it

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's no right or wrong way to do makeup. Just because a person doesn't do their makeup the way you do yours doesn't mean that it's bad or that they've done it wrong. It's all about personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, dear. Make up is all about individual's preference. Have a good day!

      Delete
  7. Very beautiful and so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these plants, Nancy! They are so pretty ♥

    summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful presentation of the plants, I wish to be there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, the airplants look so pretty. Lovely idea. Happy Wednesday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I also like the air plants. So unique and very pretty.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice plants! I'm following you:)
    HAPPY WEEK
    xoxo
    http://stylishpatterns.blogspot.com.es

    ReplyDelete
  13. They are most beautiful. It's amazing how some things can grow without soil.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  14. the air plants are very popular in this area. this are pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. It is very popular here too! Have a happy day!

      Delete
  15. I have seen this air plants too but find them expensive so didn't buy any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, too expensive. I too restrained myself from buying.

      Delete
  16. Lovely post. We used to have air plants growing in the trees outside in South Africa. They have beautiful flowers but seldom seem to flower. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. These are beautiful but too expensive. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  17. Beautiful plants and displayed so elegantly, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome!
    So they can grow everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anywhere as long as they can get some moisture.

      Delete
  19. I had several air plants. Aren't they amazing? Like science fiction. But here they are very cheap! About a dollar each. Even a child could afford one. But ours had to go when we got cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dollar each is really, really cheap. I will keep on searching till I can a reasonably priced plant.

      Delete
  20. I'm reminded of the garden in Disney World where they're growing plants in the air with hydroponics. (I believe that's what they call it. They regularly give the plants the water they needs, but little to no soil. Very cool thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Crystal. Some farms over here are using hydroponic to grow vegetables. Air plants look so simple to grow and care.

      Delete
  21. My aunt has quite a few of these growing on her fence in Sydney.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Air plants. I dont have any in my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish to have one in the future but none yet.

      Delete
  23. I no fate with plants, so can only admire the plants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha Sharon, no need to dirty your hands, just admire only.

      Delete
  24. I love airplane.. but I never bought them.. I've always a fear that I cannot make them survive..:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am thinking twice about buying because of the high price.

      Delete
  25. Those air plants are lovely! Looks very elegant if placed in nice glass containers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. I am so tempted to get one or two air plants!

      Delete
  26. I can't recall hearing of them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only get to know about them quite recently through some gardening groups on FB. Have a great day!

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...