Tuesday 20 September 2016

Ipoh Clock Tower.

About 3 weeks ago, I was waiting in the car while hubby was at the bank in Ipoh old town. I noticed that the new food court next to the Ipoh clock tower has started its business operation. It is named as Medan Selera Dataran Dato' Sagor. I got down from the car to have a better look and snapped some photos. The whole place looks beautiful, neat and clean. We used to patronize the old food stalls many years ago.
This is the Birch Memorial Clock Tower in Ipoh old town.
The clock tower was constructed and unveiled in 1909 to commemorate James W. W. Birch. He was Perak's first British resident. He was murdered in 1875 at Pasir Salak by the local Malay chiefs.
It has a mother bell of about 6 feet, 6 in and four small bells. So far, I haven't had the chance yet to hear the bells chime.
The friezes on the clock tower features figures such as Moses, Buddha, Shakespeare and Charles Darwin, A figure representing Mohammed has since been erased. 
 Some of the above information were obtained from Wikipedia and Lonely Planet websites. 
 This photo was taken in March, 2015 with the construction hoarding fence on the right side of the concrete stairway.


He had a dream in which he saw a stairway resting
on the earth, with its top reaching to heaven,
and the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
(Genesis 28:12, New International Version-NIV)

52 comments:

  1. Clock towers are awesome. A thing of the past that still is loved today.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such at lovely find, Nancy! A wonderful tower, I like the architecture. Thanks for your visit, please stop again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom for hosting. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  3. I have not visited this place before. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The clock tower is facing the state mosque. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos, towers looks amazing :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to hear the bells chime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The tower looks amazing, I would love to hear the clock chime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boa tarde, belíssimas fotos da torre do relógio já centenária.
    Resto de boa semana,
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  8. How we used to eat there the working days:)now the place got a new facelift:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Elin. Those were the day with sweet memories. One of these days must pay a visit to this new place.

      Delete
  9. The clock tower is beautiful and indeed the whole area looks to be very well developed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful sky, trees, and tower! It is beautiful! I have not seen one anything like this one. So ornate and detailed. Are there certain daily times that the bell rings? I bet it won't be long until you try the new food court. Same shops, only re-modeled?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. I have not check out the time the bell rings. I might go and try out the food there one of these days. I don't know whether the old stalls will be there. The old stalls were demolished and new building put up.

      Delete
  11. The clock tower is lovely, and I really like the beauty in your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great items Really interesting post...thx for sharing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice!
    Thank you for linking up at http://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2016/09/the-man-in-moon.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. The clock tower is beautiful, Nancy. I can't believe I didn't see this and I've been to Ipoh several times! Will hunt it down next .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see it on your next trip. It has a better surrounding now.

      Delete
  15. It's a beautiful clock tower! There use to be a clock tower in Kuala Terengganu but not majestic like this one. I think it is not there anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. I am glad this beautiful clock tower is well maintained.

      Delete
  16. wow beautiful place, love your photos:)
    Have a nice day!
    kisses

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Nancy, did you eat the roti goyang there? hehehee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roti goyang? No, not yet! Since the new opening, I have not been there yet. Come, let's go together and you show me where is the roti goyang!

      Delete
  18. Linda esta torre do relógio.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.
    Andarilhar

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such lovely shots of this beautiful bell tower! You should hang out and hear what the bells sound like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeanne. I was thinking of making time to visit the new food court and wait to hear the bells chime.

      Delete
  20. Oo the clouds are so ominous when you took the photos. Adds a very interesting feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. We were expecting rain that evening with that type of clouds.

      Delete
  21. Chimed at 2330 today-30 min before Hari Raya.. any meaning for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elvin, thanks for the info. Sorry, I have no idea why the clock chimed at 2330. I hope you have a great time in Ipoh.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...