Wednesday 16 December 2020

Nasi Kandar & Fried Nian Gao

Another cool morning with fresh air after a night of heavy downpour. As we set out on our morning walk, the ground was still wet. Many were still asleep except for some early risers getting ready for work. We could hear the birds happily chirping away and the occasional motorcycles or motorcars passing by.

Sunrise at 7:45am.
~~~~~
We were watching TV and it was featuring some local food from Ipoh. One of the place mentioned was the Nasi Kandar Pekan Lama. It used to be one of our favourite place. It has been a long time since we last had their nasi kandar. So, for lunch, hubby went on his motorbike and came back with a big packet of nasi kandar.
They even print their own paper wrapper. Looks so much better and neater now. Before this, they used newspaper lined with plastic to wrap the food.
Hubby ordered 1 portion of rice (more than enough for 2 persons), 1 chicken drumstick, 1 piece of mutton with all the necessary curry and condiment. For the vegetables, there were beansprout and sliced cucumber. By the time hubby came back with the nasi kandar, my homemade salted duck egg was ready. Salted egg with nasi kandar make a good combination.
For snack, I took out the remaining nian gao (sweet glutinous rice cake) from the fridge. This was kept in the fridge for about a year now. For the coming Chinese New Year, I hope to make my own nian gao. I can reduce the sugar and also homemade is so much cheaper.
~~~~~
Thanks to my friend who sent me some photos of the Christmas decoration at Ipoh Parade shopping mall which she visited with her hubby.
Photo credited to P.K.Tan.
Photo credited to P.K.Tan.
As we approach the 4th Sunday of Advent, may hope, peace, joy and love fill your home and heart. Wishing you a blessed Advent!


At the sound of Mary's greeting,
Elizabeth's child leaped within her
and she was filled with the Holy Spirit.
She gave a glad cry and exclaimed to Mary,
"You are favored by God above all other women,
and your child is destined for God's mightiest praise.
What an honor this is,
that the mother of my Lord should visit me!
When you came in and greeted me,
the instant I heard your voice, my baby moved in me for joy!
You believed that God would do what he said;
that is why he has given you this wonderful blessing."
(Luke 1:41-45, The Living Bible-TLB)

50 comments:

  1. Those Christmas decorations are so pretty.
    https://allatseawithme.blogspot.com/2020/12/wordless-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are some over the top Xmas decorations in KL right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KL always have great Christmas decorations. I haven't visited the shopping malls to check out the decorations.

      Delete
  3. I haven't made or had any niangao for years...miss them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have just tried and it is now steaming away. This is my first time. Hope I have success.

      Delete
  4. ...beautiful CHristmas decorations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the sunrise. So many Christmas decorations!! Keep safe, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see the Christmas decorations. Another great meal, looks so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, the Christmas decorations are so beautiful. You celebrate Christmas on the 25th?

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. Yes I celebrate Christmas on the 25th December, but it is going to be a quiet Christmas this year due to the movement restriction.

      Delete
  8. I would like to try your salted eggs. They look very good. I love the Christmas decorations and share your sentiments about Advent. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gigi. Hope you get to taste the salted eggs one day.

      Delete
  9. The yummy food. Oh my my stomach is growling.

    The decorations are beautiful.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved those Christmas decorations...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Muy bonitas y sugerentes imagenes, saludos y feliz 2021.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Christmas tree is very bautiful! Thank you very much for the post )

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first picture and last ones are great . Happy Christmas to your family

    ReplyDelete
  14. The mall is decorated beautifully! I didn't know anything would keep in the fridge for a year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one can because it is set and hardened.

      Delete
  15. Everything looks delicious and the mall looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the photos of decorations. The Nasi kandar looks good. You deep fried the nian gao with floor batter only? No sweet potatoes no yam?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use flour batter to fry the nian gao. All I use is just 2 eggs, beaten up to fry the nian gao. Too lazy to go out just to search for the sweet potatoes and yam.

      Delete
    2. Wow! Use eggs. Must be so tasty!

      Delete
    3. Yes, very tasty. Sometimes I used eggs only. Sometimes I do add a bit of flour.

      Delete
  17. Your food looks delicious that your husband went to pick up. I rmember some years ago we ate duck instead of turkey on Thanksgiving, here is the USA. I grew up on a farm and we ate lamb quite often. Are all your restaurants just take out now as well as it is here in the states? Sad that they aren't opening up since it's chilly. Some restaurants have outdoor seating. Too chilly to eat outdoors in the evening or night! Praying it all gets better soon where you are as well as the world. Blessings sent from my place to your place! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Grandma Beckyl. Here, dine in is allowed with limited seat and social distancing. This space here is small and to avoid crowding, we prefer to take away. Blessings to you from Malaysia. Have a wonderful week. Take care and stay safe.

      Delete
  18. Your food looks good, and the decorations are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing the xmas decorations, they are so glittering 🎄🎄🎄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to visit the shopping malls to see for myself the decorations.

      Delete
  20. How bright and shimmery are the golden decorations! So pretty! Your food look good, as usual, too!!

    I appreciate your link at 'My Corner of the World' this week! Thanks for joining us!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Agree that salted eggs go with everything. :)

    Heh you had enough freezer space to keep the neen koh so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only 1 small container left. Supposed to fry earlier but kept forgetting.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...