Monday 21 December 2020

Neen Koh & Minced Pork and Fish Paste Balls

It had been raining the whole previous night until the wee hours of the morning. By the time we woke up, the rain had stopped and we were able to go for our morning walk.

Morning sky at 7:13am.
For the rest of the day, it was gloomy.
~~~~~
Neen Koh or Nian Gao
Neen koh or nian gao or the sweet sticky glutinous rice cake is usually sold once a year before the Chinese New Year. When the neen koh has been steamed for many hours, it becomes a sticky gluey dough. As a kid, I love to twirl the sticky dough around the chopsticks or a fork and eat it off the chopsticks or fork. Another way is to roll the sticky dough with grated coconut mixed with a little salt and served as a snack. Usually my mom will cut the slightly harden cake into slices, sandwiched it between a slice of sweet potato and taro, dipped into rice flour and egg batter to be deep fried in oil. Another simple way is to coat the slices in beaten egg and pan fry them with a little oil over low heat.
My simple homemade neen koh or nian gao.
Ready made neen koh or nian gao is not cheap. I have tried making neen koh the traditional way once but I don't like the long hours of steaming. This time I tried the simple way with only 4 hours of steaming and it turned out beautifully. I quite like the colour of my homemade neen koh.
To hasten the hardening of the sticky cake for easy cutting, I chilled it in the fridge. When it was hard enough, I cut it into thin slices like the above. I stored them in a plastic container ready to be used. 
~~~~~
What to cook for dinner? I went to the fridge and found minced meat and fish paste. I submerged both packets in water to thaw them which is one of the fastest way. After I have mixed the minced meat, fish paste and all the other ingredients together, I remembered Phong Hong's fried meatballs with corn and that gave me an idea. I had corn in the fridge and I removed the corn from the cob, mixed the corn into the paste before I fried the meatballs. If you are interested, you can click here for her recipe.
Ta Dah! Here is my minced meat + fish paste + corn meatballs.
(Ingredients used: minced meat, fish paste, corn, spring onion, egg, cornflour and oyster sauce. I didn't add salt because there is salt in the fish paste)
Blanched baby Chinese Kailan, drizzled with garlic oil and soy sauce.
Sweet and spicy Thai chili sauce as dipping sauce for the meatballs. This is the only chili sauce I have in the fridge.
Simple homemade dinner for 2 people.
We couldn't finish the meatballs, kept the remaining 7 pieces of meatballs in the fridge next day's lunch.

And I am sure that God who began the good work within you
will keep right on helping you grow in his grace
until his task within you is finally finished
on that day when Jesus Christ returns.
(Philippians 1:6, The Living Bible-TLB)

45 comments:

  1. Nian gao looks good. Have you shared the recipe for 4 hours steam before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun. No, I haven't shared the recipe. I want to taste it before I share the recipe.

      Delete
  2. The meatballs look so good. Can eat them as snacks too. How many did meatballs did you make?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't count how many I made. I eat the leftover as a snack the next day.

      Delete
  3. How wonderful that you can make your own neen koh. I love eating it with grated coconut. I am waiting for people to give me neen koh hah..hah..hah.. Oh! Thanks for the mention. Your meatballs are even more delicious as they contain fish paste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, PH. I have yet to taste my homemade neen koh. I want to get the grated coconut first.

      Delete
  4. I never tasted neen koh or nian gao... I should try it one day... look yummy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post makes me hungry
    as always.

    Happy Holidays!

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Nien gao reminded of CNY!!! Which is 2 months away!

    I liked it pan fried more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can have it prepared anyway depending on my mood.

      Delete
  7. I will say it again...I bet you are a wonderful cook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I love to try new recipes as long as they are simple.

      Delete
  8. Everything looks delicious, especially those fried meatballs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Neen Koh or Nian Gao looks like chocolate fudge.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is sticky and glue when it is cooked and hot.

      Delete
  10. ...homemade neen koh is a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Meatballs and kailan made a good meal. Are there enough sauce for the rice?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just had Kailan for my thai food dinner last night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesantes comidas. Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've not had breakfast yet and now I'm very hungry. Yummy.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh very nice dishes darling
    Nice post
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have me crave for some brown sugar niangao!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am waiting to get some grated coconut to make some yummy snack.

      Delete
  17. Lazy me balks at the 'only' 4 hours of steaming already! I must get myself one neen koh from the market soon then. There was once I was looking high and low for them but no more on sale. And another time bought one from a supermarket, which came in plastic packaging and didn't have any neen koh taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If this one turns out nice, I will make again. If not, then I will forget about making and buy from the shops. I agree, the one in plastic has no neen koh taste and not healthy too.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...