Saturday 22 August 2015

Growing Selanginella In My Garden

I thank the gardening experts who helped me with the ID for this plant. I have been searching for the ID for a long time without any success until I seek the help from the gardening groups that I have joined.
This is the Selaginella moss plant in my garden. It is also known as spike moss, it is somewhere between a moss and a fern. This plant has been with me for many years. A few times it has almost dried up due to lack of water. But after regular watering and keeping the soil moist, it sprang back to life again.
 This is quite an easy plant to propagate. Just break off a stem that has some young roots growing from the underside of the stem, the more roots the better. Then stick it into moist garden soil and keep it in a shady place,
keeping it moist all the time. Very soon, it will start to grow.
 There are a few varieties of Selaginella but I only have this green one in my garden. It is best kept in a shaded place with the soil kept moist.
I placed the pot under the porch. It can also be grown as an indoor plant.
When the colour is pale green, it is in need of water.
If water is not given in time, the leaves will start to shrivel up.
When there is sufficient water, the colour will be healthy green.
It does not need to be fed with fertilizer regularly.
Yes, He humbled you by letting you go hungry and
then feeding you with manna,
a food previously unknown to you and your ancestors.
He did it to teach you that people do not live by bread alone; rather,
we live by every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.
(Deuteronomy 8:3, New Living Translation-NLT)

42 comments:

  1. Is this what cantonese called "pak shee"?. If yes, i love the scent of the leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think so because this Selaginella has no scent at all.....

      Delete
  2. Nancy your plane is quite impressive. Love from Polamnd and have a nice Saturday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gosia. Have a lovely weekend! Love from Malaysia!

      Delete
  3. Got this fr my friend that 100 gm salaginella+10 red dates boiled 4 bowls of water till 1 bowl remains is good for sinus problems and healing nasal cancer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chooilin, for sharing this info. I didn't know this is edible.

      Delete
  4. If it was a bit smaller it would be just like our Princess Pine. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom. I've checked on Princess Pine and its a pretty plant!

      Delete
  5. Looks like quite a big plant and is beautiful. Is it messy when it grows to a certain extent? Need trimming every now & then?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, it needs very little trimming, just a bit here & there. Not a messy or untidy plant.

      Delete
  6. It's a lovely plant and looks so healthy. Ir resemble new cedar branches.
    I've never seen this type before. Always something new to me growing in your garden.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Julia. We get to see in each other's blog what we don't get to see in our own country. Hugs.

      Delete
  7. I have this plant:) it's amazing! kiss

    http://denimakeup95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hi William, I also just know about this as I googled about this plant. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  9. Can't recall if i seen this plant before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, you might have seen it before, I think it is quite common.

      Delete
  10. Nancy, that name Selaginella rings a very familiar bell! I studied that in my botany class. The leaves are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, yes, the leaves are very pretty. I think it will be good planted in a hanging pot.

      Delete
  11. This is great! I'm looking to grow some indoor plants. Let's put it this way - my fingers are not so green when it comes to indoor plants ..lol! I still haven't gotten the hang of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, this will be good for indoor plant. I intend to plant another in a hanging pot.

      Delete
  12. It is a pretty plant, a lovely green! Have a happy new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty! You are so good in gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So pretty especially viewed together with your flooring.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...