Monday 17 August 2015

Growing Rosy Periwinkle Plants In My Garden

Sometime last year, I visited my friend in Taiping and I saw this beautiful deep pink flower under her porch. I have the same kind of plant but the colour of the flower is light purple. 
This plant is the Rosy Periwinkle or Madagascar Periwinkle plant.
Its scientific name is Catharanthus Roseus.
My friend gave me two stem cuttings and when I reached home, I quickly plant them in a small container with garden soil. 
I have re-potted them into a bigger pot and they have been flowering non-stop.
Rosy Periwinkle plant is easy to grow. I only feed it with fertilizer once in a while.
It loves the warm climate and grows well in well drained soil.
The leaves are oval shaped and green with white veins.
When any parts of the plants is brushed against, it gives out an unpleasant smell.
Rosy Periwinkle comes in various shades of deep pink, pink,
light purple, purple, white, and etc.
For Rosy Periwinkle to grow healthy, the soil should not be too wet.
Too much water or over watering will cause root rot and it will die.
It grows well under full sun or partial sun.
Recently another friend gave me some white and purple flowers periwinkle cuttings.
Propagating through stem cuttings for my friends.
A pair of seed pods inside the purple circle.
Propagation can be done through seeds.
Once the seed pod is matured, it will burst open and disperse the seeds.
Medicinal uses:
Information from the internet:-
  • Traditionally, Rosy Periwinkle has been used by Madagascan healers to treat diabetes.
  • It is claimed that extracts from Rosy Periwinkle contains anti-cancer properties.
Rosy Periwinkle is a fast growing plant with very little care.
The plant can be trimmed back to promote a bushier plant,
also to encourage more branches and more flowers.
The trimmed off stems can be used for further propagation of new plants.
Rosy Periwinkle is suitable for growing in containers, hanging pots, flower beds,
as borders and for landscapes.
Look, the winter is past, and the rains are over and gone.
The flowers are springing up, the season of singing birds has come,
and the cooing of turtledoves fills the air.
(Song of Solomon 2:11-12, New Living Translation-NLT)

46 comments:

  1. Nancy, the periwinkles are very pretty indeed! They remind me of kindergarten because there used to be pink and white periwinkles growing at the St Theresa kindergarten when I was there 100 years ago hah..hah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, these plants used to grow wild in our village compound too. Now I am growing more of these in my garden. More colourful and do not need much care. Save on fertilizer and no worries on pest too.

      Delete
  2. Last time I have this plant in my garden, light purple & white but now none is left. It is very common, easy to plant & grows very fast. I like the deep pink colour. If I am not wrong, someone told me it has medical benefits, can't recall back what it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, I too didn't know about the medical benefits until recently. I hope to collect all the different colours.

      Delete
  3. Hello, pretty blooms and colors. A lovely plant. Happy Monday, enjoy your new week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eileen, thank you. Have a beautiful Monday!

      Delete
  4. I've never grew these pretty Periwinkle flowers but I grow Impatients that needs shade and the blooms looks similar and they also come in those colors.
    Have a great week.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, Impatients is another pretty flowering plants with many colours. Have a lovely Monday!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful and I love the colors. You're photography is excellent as well.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Wishing you a fabulous day too!

      Delete
  6. Wonderful photography, Nancy, your photos are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rosy in deed! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a pretty plant - yes it reminded me of Impatiens, very similar
    Caz xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nancy your flowers are fantastic completely different from Europeans ones..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gosia. The flowers in Europe are very beautiful ones.

      Delete
  10. They look so beautiful and I imagine how good they smell)

    Tanya
    www.stripesnvibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya. They look beautiful but the plant does not smell very pleasant.

      Delete
  11. These are such beautiful simple flowers...and I love their colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. These are really common plants yet their flowers are very beautiful.

      Delete
  12. There's a year before CNY, i went to buy a plant, but i do not know how to take care of it, in the end, it went Heaven, so i can only admire plants...

    How i wish i could be as good as you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I too start with no gardening knowledge at all, only know that I need to water them. But I learn through mistakes and persistent because I love plants.

      Delete
  13. I have two of these plant sprouted out from the soil i bought from the kebun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your red colour is so uncommon. Usually i see is the white and the purple ones only

      Delete
    2. You are so blessed to receive 2 free plants from the kebun. Must have been the seeds got into the soil. The common ones are the white and purple. The deep pink is not so common and I love this deep pink ones.

      Delete
  14. Your flowers are gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Pretty shots. I always see this light pink flowers around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. These flowers are very common.

      Delete
  16. Pretty shots of these gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the tips, Nancy! If I ever feel like adding colour to my balcony garden, this plant seems like a good choice based on what I read here. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, yes, these are very bright colours and very easy to take care.

      Delete
  18. So healthy and glossy! I've never been too excited over this plant as I've been seeing them around since young. It's the ones that are new to me (especially those that need to BUY rather than growing at roadside!) that excite me hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, I used to spend lots of money on the new plants that I bought from nursery and some of them are not easy to take care. Now I am opting for both the easier to care and grow plus for their pretty colours.

      Delete
    2. True, commonly-seen plants would be those best suited for our climate.

      Delete
  19. Hi Andy, its just that I love gardening. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have plenty of that which grows everywhere in my garden through its seeds, mostly its white and the deep purple, but I must say your plant is more beautiful, the leaves are so green and it looks so healthy. You are really my peg when it comes to taking care of plants. You grow them so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angeles. Even though they are very common but I like them for their pretty flowers.

      Delete
  21. Nice Blog with amazing writing skill!
    Periwinkle lovers can also check this Mindblowing post Periwinkle growing techniques that really helped me with my vinca.

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...