Saturday 29 August 2015

Growing Variegated Araru Plants In My Garden

I can't remember how I come to have the Araru plants in my garden. At one time I even have to pull them out from the ground and got rid of them because they have grown out of control. But somehow this plant chose to stay and after a while a new shoot came out of the ground and revealed its presence in my garden once again.
Actually I quite like this Variegated Araru plant for its mixture of dark and light green and white or light beige shaded leaves. The only way is to dig this plant out from the ground and plant them in a pot so that it doesn't grow out of control like before.
 Saw this Araru plant growing beside my Ambra or Kedondong plant. It could have sprouted from a rhizome that I have left behind in the ground.
I dug it out and temporary planted it in a black plastic bag.
At that time I have not decided what to do with the plant.
To keep or to give away....
Araru is also known as Ararao. Its scientific name is Maranta Arundinacea.
It grows well in normal garden soil with good water drainage.
 It can tolerate full sun and it is also resistant to pest.
It is easy to grow and maintain without any fuss.
The stems are straight and slender. 
I have decided to keep this plant and have transferred it to a pot.  
Besides the fine roots, there is a very young, tender rhizome growing from the base of the plant and a new shoot has started to grow from the tip of the rhizome.
From my visit to the Perak Herbal garden, I came to know that Araru plant has medicinal uses.
  • To cool down body heat - drink the juice extracted from the rhizomes.
  • To treat itchiness - juice extracted from grated rhizomes is used to apply onto affected areas.
Araru is said to be edible and is grown for its starch extracted from the rhizomes. To read and find out more about Araru and its many uses, you can go and check it out at www.stuartxchange.com/Araro.html.

We know that the law is good if one uses it properly.
(1 Timothy 1:8, NIV)

31 comments:

  1. I love your garden. You've a wonderful green thumb. Not many do.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Wishing you a Blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  2. I love the yellow, green and white, Nancy! Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Wishing you a Blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  3. Love the leaves color, just like somebody draw on them)

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya. Have a beautiful Sunday!

      Delete
  4. I like the patterns in the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, William. Its like painted leaves.

      Delete
  5. great plant look fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gosia. It helps to brighten up my garden. Happy Sunday!

      Delete
  6. I dint know that this plant has medicinal value. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dint know that this plant has medicinal value. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elin, I am learning more and more about our garden plants.

      Delete
  8. This plant looks beautiful. Nice design on the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing, if not, i would know that Araru plant has medicinal uses...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Replies
    1. Thank you, Theresa. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  11. Love the different colourings of the leaves, very pretty. You certainly are a wonderful gardener and have such a wide knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am getting to know more about my garden plants. Love the patterns on the leaves.

      Delete
  12. Nancy, those leaves are so striking! I would not mind taking any excess from you hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, these are very easy to grow. Let me know when you are in Ipoh, can pass some to you.

      Delete
  13. Hello Nancy, what a pretty plant! The leaves have lovely patterns! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. cool plants! I am following you on google babe :)

    TIFFANYXOXO.COM

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for this informative post. I didn't know that this plant has such long thin stems.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful, partly because it's obviously so healthy!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...