Sunday 9 August 2015

Recording Sweet Memories Of Past Weeks

Today's post is a collection of a few events that I have put together to be recorded as sweet memories of the past weeks while I was busy posting about my holidays in Hong Kong, Sekinchan and Semenyih.

After coming back from our holidays, and especially having started the durian feast (supper) at Cheras, our craze for durian started!
We went looking for durians after dinner one night. Came to this place with so many durians for sale. The durians were quite good and the price quite reasonable, so we went back to the same stall the next afternoon.
The vendor opening the fruit with a special knife. Imagine him holding the thorny fruit with his bare hand!
I love to eat the kampung durians of different taste and flavour. There was one section eaten by worms. Even the worms love durians.

This is a close-up view of a durian worm. A friend once told me that his grandpa loved to eat durian worms! Yucks!!! Why? The reason is the worm is full of protein and nutrients especially when it feeds on the highly nutritious durian. No, thank you!
*     *     *     *     *
A retirement lunch for an ex-colleague at Mun Choong Restaurant.

This photo was taken while waiting for the rest to arrive.

A photo to remember the event. Who was the new retiree to join the pensioner's club? The only gentleman among all the ladies!
*     *     *     *     *
A special gift with special delivery.

A dear friend from Petaling Jaya sent these yummies through her hubby, especially for me. She love baking and these were made with love!

Thank you, Karen for these yummies. They melt in the mouth! Look also at the golden gem inside. I love salted egg yolks ... yummy!
*     *     *     *     *
A Retirees' foodie outing
A roasted duck lunch at Restoran Old Friend, Chemor.
We heard so much about the delicious fish noodles served here. We ordered only a bowl of soup to be shared among us just after the duck lunch.

Next we walked to the other end of the row of shops. My sifu enjoying the rich aroma of durian.
Next, another sweet and fleshy tropical fruit - Chempedak. And we drank some coconut water to take away the heatiness of durian.
We continued with our sweet dessert at this stall under the shady tree.
A bowl of silky smooth tofu fa swimming in soya milk.
*     *     *     *     *
A week later, another retirees' outing looking for special durian "5 fingers fruit".
The midday sun was hot. Came to this house selling durians.

A nice surprise, met two ex-colleagues during their lunch break.

Look at the size of the durians! These are the "5 fingers fruits",
(ng chee kor in Cantonese)

Bought 2 fruits to try since I heard so much about this fruit.

On the way home, stopped for black glutinous rice sweet dessert. One with coconut milk, the other without - that's our lunch.

One "5 fingers fruit" yellow flesh, very fleshy and tasted bitter sweet.

Another fruit with light beige flesh, creamy and fleshy, and tasted bitter sweet. The durian season is almost coming to an end. No worries. I still have ample supply of durian in the freezer for me to enjoy as ice-cream!

Now He who supplies seed to the sower and bread for food
will also supply and increase your store of seed
and will enlarge the harvest of your righteousness.
You will be enriched in every way so that you can be generous
on every occasion, and through us your generosity
will result in thanksgiving to God.
(2 Corinthians 9:10-11, New International Version-NIV)

41 comments:

  1. See the durians makes me wanna go buy and eat, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, we are the same, cannot resist durians...hehee.

      Delete
  2. That special delivery all the way from PJ, count your blessings. Drool over the durians & tau fu fah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, I am so blessed. My friend remembers me.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful and fun photos. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehehe durians! Who can resists? Me no resist..eat first and die later :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elin, we are crazy over durians, remember how we go looking for durians during lunch break? Hahaa.....

      Delete
  5. Wow..your roundup of events!! Retiree's life is really busy eh.... Really no regreats to go for optional retirement la! With makan friends like you all, I am really kept busy! hahahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, we all know it is not so much about food, but about the good company we have. Let's keep it going.

      Delete
  6. When our friends Al & Meilin takes out for dinner to their special Chinese eatery, they always order roasted duck. Meilin orders the entire dinner. She's Chinese and speaks with the owner in Chinese. I just sit there not knowing what she ordered for us but when they bring the dishes of food, they are fantastic. Sometime she orders a special dish that I haven't had before and though it may looks unusual, I'll try it and wow, from then on I want more.
    Have an enjoyable Sunday Nancy. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you are enjoying the Chinese dishes your friend ordered for you. Sit back and enjoy all the different flavours of Chinese cuisine.

      Delete
  7. I still don't really know what that fruit is, but it appears it's very popular. I'll stick with my pineapple. That's my favorite fruit.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandee, over here it is very popular. It is a seasonal fruit, sometimes its once a year, sometimes its twice a year. I love pineapple too, it is one of my favourite fruits.

      Delete
  8. You have peaked my interest in someday trying durian fruit just to see what it taste like. I grocery shop at our Co-op and haven't seen any such exotic fruit so i may try the Super Store in town to se if they have some.
    Have a blessed Sunday.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I hope you will be able to find this durian fruit and get a chance to taste this exotic fruit. Have a blessed week!

      Delete
  9. So exotic! I only had durian once and loved it. Wish I taste one of those beauties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angie, I am glad you have tasted and loved durian! Now there are many varieties to choose from. I love the bitter sweet variety!

      Delete
  10. Great post, Nancy, I love seeing all the photos of the people and the smiling faces! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. It is good to meet up with my friends and ex-colleagues.

      Delete
  11. The durian worms is awful. The photo of your friends is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gosia, I agree with you about the worm, its awful!

      Delete
  12. I love durians, Nancy - in snacks and ice-cream. These are lovely photos of your adventure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, my first preference is eating fresh durian. Next will be the chilled ones. Finally, will be the snacks and ice-creams.

      Delete
  13. Gosh. What a durian post. I think I read the retirement gathering in Claire's blog last week. Remember the only gentleman among the roses. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, yes, Claire and I attended the same retirement lunch for the same gentleman!

      Delete
  14. Eeeks! Nancy, the worm is so fat! It probably tastes like durian hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, I don't know about the taste. I must go interview those who dares to eat the worms. Yucks!!!

      Delete
  15. Never come across durian fruit before but the worm put me off a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not always there will be worms. Most fruits will not have. Have to choose fruits without worms holes.

      Delete
  16. Thank you, Tijana. Have a happy week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Nancy,
    Yummy durian feast ! I love the bitter-sweet ones. Gosh! That picture with worm ... aiyoh !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, I love durians especially the bitter sweet ones but yucks! hate the worms!

      Delete
  18. Definitely out of my culinary experience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, these are more of Asian food. Have a great day!

      Delete
  19. Very educational blog post for me. The photos are wonderful. Great memories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Saleslady371. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  20. I had never heard of these fruits...I was amazed how big they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, they are big but the skin is very thick! Have an amazing day!

      Delete
  21. From one mega makan session to another... haha. Jia you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, we the retirees are just having some fun in our foodie experience. Have a lovely day!

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...