Thursday 20 August 2015

Growing Red Ginger Lily In My Garden

At one time I was interesting in flower arrangements. This hobby was quite an expensive hobby because I needed to buy flowers from the wet market. One of the flowers I like to use in my flower arrangements was the Red Ginger Lily. Later, I found out from a friend that I can grow my own Red Ginger Lily. 

I grow my Red Ginger Lily from a spent flower with small plantlets obtained from my friend's garden.
Another common name of Red Ginger Lily is Red Cone Ginger.
Its scientific name is Alpinia Purpurata.

The cone shaped flowers are not the actual flowers. These are the clusters of red or pink bracts. The actual flowers are white bloom from the bracts. The white flowers are very small and not very noticeable. 
The red or pink bracts or we called flowers are bright and attractive. Birds and insects are attracted to the flowers. The flowers are grown for cut flowers used for floral arrangements. I have tried to plant the pink flowers but it didn't survive.
The plant is evergreen, tall and upright with long, green leaves.
This was from my friend's garden with the chain link fencing.
If it is planted in the ground, it will spread out through its rhizomes with new shoots growing out from the ground. So to keep it in control I planted mine in a pot. Each shoot will bear a single flower and once the flower is spent, the shoot needs to be cut off as near to the ground surface.
Red Ginger Lily grows well in moist, well-drained garden soil.
It needs regular fertilizing for healthier plant and bigger flowers.
It is grown as ornamental plants and also as landscape plants.
It grows well when exposed to full sun or partial shade.
Sometimes the spent flowers will grow small plantlets.
This can be used to propagate new plants.
Allow the plantlets to grow bigger before cutting off.
Bury the base of the plantlets in soil for it to grow roots.
Linked to Good Fences.

Then Christ will make His home in your hearts as you trust in Him.
Your roots will grow down into God's love and keep you strong.
(Ephesians 3:17, NLT)

63 comments:

  1. Hello Nancy, what a lovely flower and plant. Beautiful images, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beautiful flower to work into flower arrangements. Yes, flower arranging can indeed be quite pricy! When I feel inspired to arrange flowers I use blossoms from my gardens...but none are as stunning as red ginger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your visit and comment. Not all of my flowers are suitable for flower arrangements.

      Delete
  3. Hi Nancy, love your red ginger lily. It look so sweet and beautiful.
    Flower arrangement is an expensive hobby unless we pluck from our own garden.

    Happy gardening. Best regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amelia. Not all flowers from my garden are suitable for flower arrangements.

      Delete
  4. they are really lovely! yes, i've had some in flower arrangements i've received and now i know their name. thanks, nancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Theresa. I am also learning more of flowers' name!

      Delete
  5. These flowers are really beautiful. My neighbour has it, planted on the ground & sprouting everywhere & makes the garden looks messy. There's another type, the flower hanging & looks like crab pincers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, that's why I have to plant them in a pot or else they will take control over my garden. I had the pincer plant too but finally got rid of them because they were too messy for a small garden.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful flower I can see why you would use it in an arrangement, would give it great structure. A beautiful plant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Nancy, you like flower arrangement? Then you should go for it since it is your passion.. yeah, it might be expensive... so start with the flowers in your garden before going to the money-flowers one... I am sure it will generate a good income later when you have more practice! Go for it, Nan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to do the altar flower for my small church! Trial and error. At that time, the flowers were not so expensive.

      Delete
  8. Never knew the name of this lovely plant Nancy. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I have heard of the name of this beautiful flower, Nancy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty- I did not know the name. You must have a green thumb! The only plant that I seem to be able to grow is ivy, which as we all know can be almost totally ignored for weeks on end. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. These are easy to grow and low maintenance plants.

      Delete
  11. Good morning.....I've seen these before, but never took the time to check out the name of this plant. your header is totally awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shug. The header is the back portion of my garden. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  12. A very pretty flower, lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love and have many flowers, but not this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the ginger lily is very impressive one

    ReplyDelete
  15. You really do have a green thumb. I love the ginger lily very much.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those Red Ginger Lilies are stunning. Just loved that shot of all of them blooming by the chain link fence. - Such a bright color of flower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good going with the growing your own, Nancy! They are beautiful.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  18. It does stand out quite nicely, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, William. It is very eye-catching!

      Delete
  19. I too like the ginger flower.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Thank you, Mama Zen. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  21. Such a beautiful flower. Happy weekend, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Have a happy weekend too!

      Delete
  22. I love that name - Ginger Lilly! It is very pretty, like Bromelia, in some way.
    I love the fence in the b/g too.
    Have a Beautiful Day!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. You too, enjoy your weekend and have a great one too!

      Delete
  24. What a lovely plant!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's so beautiful. I like d color

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This is red, there's another one which is pink. The red is more striking than the pink.

      Delete
  26. It's wonderful:) kisses

    http://denimakeup95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a beautiful plant...beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Have a beautiful weekend!

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Rose. Have a beautiful weekend!

      Delete
  28. Hello Nancy, such beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing the information. So many things I didn't know. Also thanks for visiting Imaginary Garden With Real Toads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susie, thank you. We in blogging land learn from one another. Have a beautiful weekend!

      Delete
  29. Lovely flower. Beauty at it's best

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nancy, this is such a beautiful plant. I an fascinated that plantlets come out from the spent flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, I think so far this is the only plant I have seen plantlets coming from the spent flowers. I think there will be more surprises in store for me in the process of my gardening.

      Delete
  31. The closest thing I've seen to those plantlets is on orchids. A whole baby plant, with roots, sometimes grows from the stem (not the flower itself though)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the plantlets of orchids too. This one is really interesting.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...