Saturday 1 August 2015

A Walking Tour On Our Last Day In Hong Kong

Hong Kong, Day 5 - Leisure Time & Stinky Tofu.

From the Nan Lian Garden visit, we came out to Fung Tak Road. Two of our group members have left with Mrs Pete for an appointment and left only four of us with Mr Pete.
From Fung Tak Road, we took a taxi to Mong Kok and spend our time on a short walking tour of the area. 
Our first stop was at a branch of Koi Kei bakery to buy some cookies home.
Spent some time in this shopping mall at Argyle Street and
at the same time to enjoy the air-con.
Almost every food outlets enjoy good business.
Customers waiting in line to be seated.
 Saw this sculpture outside the mall.
Shot taken from a different angle.
We passed by a snack shop...
Just passing by.... 
We didn't stop to check, but looked like some small side lane business.
The overhead bridge was filled with many foreign workers seated on both sides of the wide bridge. It was their day off.
We were told that the domestic foreign workers are given a day off weekly and they are free to meet up and gather at the allocated places.
Another place for the foreign workers to meet and gather - a garden park.
Plastic sheets or mats for sitting or resting. 
Came to this stinky tofu stall. Must not leave Hong Kong without trying the stinky tofu. This young man looking amused at us trying out the tofu.
Stinky tofu or chow tofu in Cantonese is a kind of fermented tofu
and has a strong odor. Surprisingly the ones sold in Hong Kong were not so smelly as those sold in my local night market which I think smells like garbage!
.
 Pete ordered 2 pieces. A piece for each couple to share.
Hubby took the first bite, I was watching his facial expression!
Hubby looked okay so should be safe to try...ha ha!
This was my half and I took a bite...hmmm....not bad leh!
Stinking tofu was crispy on the outside and with sauce, it tasted okay.
Yeh! Now I know how stinky tofu tasted like.
Passed by another interesting snack stall. We didn't stop to try any.
Time to leave for Ngau Tau Kok.
Though the LORD is exalted, He looks kindly on the lowly;
though lofty, He sees them from afar.
(Psalm 138:6, NIV)

38 comments:

  1. Hello, Nancy! Thank you for the tour of Hong Kong. They do have a lot of choices of food stalls. I like the sculpture! Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of food places everywhere. I don't think you can ever go hungry :-) I'm sure you enjoyed your time in Hong Kong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful. I was fully fed and I really enjoyed my stay in Hong Kong. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  3. Wow....stinky tofu...my favourite!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elin, finally I plucked up my courage to have a taste of this stinky tofu. But this is not so stinky as our local ones.

      Delete
    2. hehehe the most stinky the taste is better. Hahaha I remembered your eldest loves it !

      Delete
    3. I might have a try on the ones at our local night market. Yes, he loves it!

      Delete
  4. I love the sculpture! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tom, I too got attracted to it. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  5. You are very adventurous to try stinky Tofu. It must be one of those food that needs an acquired taste. I wonder how such recipes ever came by in the first place. Must have been discovered by accident by a very hungry person.
    he he.

    Thanks again for the tour.
    Have a great day.
    Hugs,
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia. It is either a love or a hate affair with this stinky tofu. I do not know whether I have the courage to try my local stinky tofu or not. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Hi Theresa, I agree with you. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  7. Stinky food??????? I don't think so. When do leave to go home Nancy? Have a wonderful day . See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul, our flight was on the same night. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  8. I think I would have passed on the tofu. I don't care for it, but my husband loves it. For each his own.

    You had a wonderful vacation and thank you so much for taking the time to share it with us.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Even I have tasted it, I have not acquire a liking to it yet. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  9. Nancy, what a great time! Thank you so much for sharing this lovely tour! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Have a beautiful Sunday!

      Delete
  10. That sculpture really stands out to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William, I was attracted to it too! Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  11. thanks for pictorial walk HM is very popular shop in Poland, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gosia, I am glad you enjoyed the walk too. Have a blessed Sunday!

      Delete
  12. Nancy, judging from the outcome of your stinky tofu adventure, I think I shall be brave to try it if I ever come across this stinky tofu :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, in fact I am contemplating about trying the stinky tofu at the local night market..haha! I want to taste and see any difference between HK and local.

      Delete
  13. The sculpture caught my attention. Is the tofu really stinky? No, thanks. You are so smart, let your hubby try first, hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Irene. My hubby is particular about smelly food. If no problem him, then it is okay for me too...better play safe lo...hahaaa!

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I was standing there trying to figure out what the sculpture is trying to show.

      Delete
  15. I enjoyed your walk through. All the interesting food! And the foreign worker story. Not sure I would like that :-) Thanks for visiting my blog! Jazzy Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jazzy, thank you for visiting my blog too. Have a happy week!

      Delete
  16. A great tour, the sculpture was a delight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was attracted to the sculpture too.

      Delete
  17. Ya ya I also think stinky tofu smells like garbage/sewage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...Stacy, I really cannot stand the smell!

      Delete
  18. Stinky tofu smells bad but doesn't taste bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun, ha ha...only when I plucked up the courage to try, that was what I found out..lol!

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...