Monday 12 November 2018

Growing Winged Beans Or 4 Angled Beans In My Garden.

One day at the plant nursery, I picked up a packet of winged beans or 4 angled beans seeds because I wanted to grow them in my garden. Locally, we also called these beans "kacang botol". These beans can be eaten raw as one of the ingredients for salad or as "ulam" (local salad) with spicy dried shrimp paste. They are best eaten when they are tender and freshly plucked.

These beans are rich in protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber. And I have also read that every part of the plant is edible. So far I have only eaten the beans and I love the crunchiness of the beans. I have not tried consuming other parts of the plants.
 Winged beans plant is easy to grow.
It will take some time for it to flower.
 Initially the flowers will keep dropping without bearing any beans.
 One morning I spotted this bean.
 Then more beans appeared.
 Once they are over matured, they are tough.
 These are the first 3 beans harvested.
I missed 2 beans well hidden by the leaves and they were too old to harvest. I left them be so I can used the seeds for future use. Some friends have booked the seeds in advance.
 Can you see 2 French beans (from US) in the above picture.
This specie was given to me by a friend. I hope to get some seeds from these 2 French beans and hope that they will do better than this.
 I harvested one of the French beans to try and it was good.
One of the many harvests from my garden.
These will be enough for 2 people.
As usual, I choose the easiest and simplest recipe.
I rinsed these beans under running tap water.
 Using my hand to break these beans into pieces.
No need to use knife or the cutting board.
 I blanched them in boiling water with some oil added to the water.
Then I sprinkled some sambal hae bee on the blanched beans.
(Sambal hae bee is spicy fried dried shrimp with chilies, etc.)
Thanks to a friend who blessed me with this sambal hae bee.

"Amen!" they said.
"Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving,
and honor, and power, and might,
be to our God forever and forever. Amen!"
(Revelation 7:12, The Living Bible-TLB)

49 comments:

  1. I do see the french beans. Why are these called Winged Beans? They are very frilly and fancy looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is because of the 4 sides of frilly wings.

      Delete
  2. Yummy. Love this kind of cooking but I seldom cook winged beans since no one like it other than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we mothers rather cook those that our family loves.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see those winged beans hanging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruxana! It is a joy to harvest them too!

      Delete
  4. Hello Nancy!
    I haven’t seen those beans before!
    So different than ours here!But they look so yummy!
    Lovely photos ! Have a lovely week!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DIMI! I am sure your beans taste good too.

      Delete
  5. I have not tasted winged beans before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are crunchy and taste good even when eaten raw.

      Delete
  6. What a bountiful harvest! Your very own organic farming greens, delicious and nutritious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong! I am now more into growing edibles.

      Delete
  7. Wah, well done! Your vegetable garden has more and more variety of vegetables now. So healthy to grow your own vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun! Slowly transforming my garden into edible garden.

      Delete
  8. Since you can just break them without cutting, I can imagine how super-fresh the beans are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Stacy! They are super fresh and tender!

      Delete
  9. La planta se ve saludable y con mucho verdor. Deben saber sabrosas recién cogidas de las plantas, ellas tienen todas las propiedades nutritivas.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  10. ...looks like this one could take over the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tom! If I don't control the creeping vines, it will go all over my garden.

      Delete
  11. Beautiful plants, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never seen or heard of winged beans, interesting. Of course French beans grow well here, but I alwasy sow the bush variety rather than the climbers as they create shade over my veg garden when too tall. Enjoy your week Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! I rather have bush plants instead of climbers too.

      Delete
  13. Love your Bible Verse at the end of your post.
    Nice pics.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely post dear! Have a great week! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't come across this type of beans before.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never seen these kinds of beans before. I would love to try them.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love these beans. Have a fabulous day and week too!

      Delete
  17. First I have never heard of these beans but I am not a fan of beans at all

    ReplyDelete
  18. Among the items my parents grew in their garden were beans, mostly of a kind that weren't readily available in the stores. They were the last vegetable they were growing past retirement- until the deer got in one year and picked the plants clean. Dad said that was the last time he'd ever plant vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far nothing or no one is after my beans. Hope it stays that way.

      Delete
  19. I've never seen this bean.. but it looks interesting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krishna! They are very tasty too!

      Delete
  20. flowers of Winged beans plant look very beautiful.
    great for you to grow own vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Por aquí no hay de esa variedad y me gustaría. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  22. NO LAS CONOZCO SERAN DE CLIMAS CALIDOS.
    PRECIOSAS PLANTAS.
    SALUDITOS

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...