Saturday 24 November 2018

Pretty Ginger Flowers

First, I want to thank Stacy for her comment. She mentioned that whenever she commented on my older posts, her comments disappeared. I am sure this also happened to many of my blog readers. I discovered that the problem was due to some adjustments I have made to the comment settings. I apologize for the inconvenience. I have now readjusted the settings and hope everything is fine again. Thank you, Stacy and also to all my faithful readers.

Flowers come in all shapes, sizes, and colours. God is awesome and His creation is amazing and fascinating. I grow 2 types of ginger in my garden; the yellow ginger and the common ginger. Yellow ginger is also known as turmeric ginger or kunyit in Malay.
Ginger roots or ginger rhizomes.
Yellow ginger or turmeric (left), common ginger (right).
Light or pale green flower of the yellow ginger.
Close up look at the ginger flower in various shades of light green.
Can you see the pretty tiny yellow flowers?
Yellow ginger leaves (big), kaffir lime leaves (small)
I used these leaves from my garden when cooking meat rendang (a spicy meat dish where the meat is stewed in coconut milk and spices). The crushed kaffir leaves and thinly sliced yellow ginger leaves are added towards the end of the cooking.
New plants of the common ginger.
Flower of the common ginger.
The colour is not outstanding.
Not easily noticeable
Even though the colour is not bright and colourful, it has its own beauty.
*     *     *     *     *\
The following pictures are for joining Saturday's Critters.
Can you see the pretty little butterfly perched on the lemon leaf?
Another cute insect found in my garden.
"Love is in the air" or "Love in the garden".

Linking to Saturday's Critters.

Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perserveres. 
Love never fails.
(1 Corinthians 13:4-7, New International Version-NIV)

48 comments:

  1. I love the smell of turmeric leaves. The flowers can be eaten as ulam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the smell too. Oh, I didn't know that the flowers can be eaten as ulam. I will look out for the next flower. I wonder how it tastes like.

      Delete
  2. You even grow gingers in your garden, what else you don't grow, hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Libby, if I have more land, I would love to grow more things especially fruit trees.

      Delete
  3. Hello. Interesting and beautiful photos. I love common ginger! It taste good and it is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anu! We use the common ginger in many of our recipes.

      Delete
  4. wow fresh turmeric! I really need to grow my own too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very convenient if we grow them in the garden. Just dig out when we need to use some for cooking.

      Delete
  5. Hello Nancy!
    Wonderful pictures ! I haven’t seen how the Ginger flowers.looks,before!
    Great captures of the droplets on the flower and the cute insects!
    Have a lovely day and a happy weekend!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DIMI! Have a lovely and happy new week!

      Delete
  6. Hello, I love ginger. It is good for my digestion. The butterfly and insects are pretty. Great finds. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your day and weekend! PS, thanks always for the comment on blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen! We used a lot of ginger in our cooking. Have a great new week!

      Delete
  7. ...ginger flowers are a favorite of mine in Maui.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never used ginger. Is it hard to use in dishes? See ya Nancy.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ginger can be cut into slices, strips, pounded or smashed, depending on the recipes. Have a wonderful new week!

      Delete
  9. You have an amazing green thumb.

    Loved the love in the air. Cute.

    Have a fabulous weekend, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee! Nature is beautiful! Have a fabulous new week!

      Delete
  10. I am confused, which one is the flower of the ginger? The whole green thingy or the one single pink petal jutting out from the green thingy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the first flower of the yellow ginger, the actual flower is the small yellow flower. The pink and pale green is not the actual flower. The whole thing is actually the ginger bracts that we called flower but they are not the flower.

      Delete
  11. I've never seen ginger flower. it is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The yellow ginger flower is gorgeous! I did not know that there are different kinds of ginger!! Wish I could grow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny! There are many more types of ginger. Here, I share just 2 of them.

      Delete
  13. They are pretty growing in your garden.

    The "love bugs" look similar to ours here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stop in from Yogi and I thought it would be interesting to grow ginger but I'm to far north.
    If you have time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dora for dropping by for a visit. Will drop by for a cup of coffee after this.

      Delete
  15. The ginger plant is beautiful, I am a great fan of using ginger in my cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Preciosas fotografías Nancy. Feliz domingo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Just sit back and enjoy the beautiful flowers. Green fingers have to get dirty. He heee.

      Delete
  18. Yes pretty flowers, when I see or hear the word ginger I think of my lat great-aunt who really loved ginger

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your ginger grew nice and fat!

    Heh I didn't pay attention to disappearing comments initially, coz the message was "Your comment will be visible after approval". After a while only it hit me that they never seem to 'get approved'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...so sorry Stacy! Takes me a long time to get them approval. If not for your comment, they will never be approved! Lol!

      Delete
  20. That moth with the spotted wings looks like one of the Tiger moths but I do not know which ones you have in your country. We succesfully grew ginger this year but I certaily had no flower! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes some time for the plant to flower. Take care too, Diane!

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...