Monday 5 November 2018

Home Made Stuffed Bitter Gourds.

I started to grow the white bitter gourds plants for the first time in April 2018 from some seeds that I bought from a fertilizer shop. The bitter gourds from the first plants were not very big, they were slightly bigger than a big man's fist. 
The white bitter gourds are not bitter so I kept some seeds to grow the 2nd batch.
Bitter gourd flower and twirls. 
Bright yellow flower of the bitter gourd plant.
Sign of baby bitter gourd.
A bitter gourd hanging from the vine (from the 2nd batch).
Feeling encouraged because these 3 bitter gourds harvested from the 2nd batch were bigger than those from the first batch.
3 smaller bitter gourds and 6 white eggplants or brinjals harvested from the garden one morning.
Once the white started to turn a light shade of yellow, it is time to harvest.
Mostly about 3 to 4 inches in width and about 5 to 6 inches in length.
I collected some seeds to grow the next batch.
*     *     *     *     *
Currently, the 3rd batch of white bitter gourd plants are growing in my garden.
Seedling grown from 2nd batch seed. It looked healthier and stronger.
There are now 2 pots of bitter gourd plants growing in my garden.
This was the first bitter gourd harvested from the current (3rd) batch.
It was longer and bigger than those from the previous 2 batches.
Another bitter gourd growing from the current batch.
Another one found hidden behind the leaves.
I have to bring it to the front so that I keep an eye on it.
This was the first bitter gourd harvested from the current (3rd batch).
The size of the bitter gourd - 4 x 9 inches.
Next, this is the 2nd bitter gourd harvest - 5 x 7 inches.
I am very encouraged and happy with this harvest.
*     *     *     *     *
I used the first bitter gourd harvested to make stuffed bitter gourd dish.
I sliced the bitter gourd into half inch rings, removed the seeds from the centre. For the stuffing: I used fish paste, minced pork, home grown spring onions and chili padi, cornstarch, oyster sauce and salt to taste.
The bitter gourds with stuffing were then fried over medium fire. Taste wise, they were delicious and there was hardly any bitterness in the white bitter gourd.
Stuffed bitter gourd and papaya soup without any rice.
We had more than enough stuffed bitter gourd for our dinner.
There were 5 pieces left over for the next day.

For a soul is far too precious to be ransomed by mere earthly wealth.
There is not enough of it in all the earth to buy eternal life
for just one soul, to keep it out of hell.
(Psalm 49:8-9, The Living Bible-TLB)

44 comments:

  1. You prepared them so beautifully! So they are not really bitter tasting? The blossom is pretty, and the baby ones so cute. We have none here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny! Surprisingly, they are not really bitter and they taste great!

      Delete
  2. I miss those beauties and the homegrown ones are such a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! Home grown ones are so special and they taste so good.

      Delete
  3. Wow! You have so many home grown food, good! Healthy eating. The bittergourd flower looks lovely with its yellow colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! I am now concentrating more on edibles and no so much on flowering plants which are not edibles.

      Delete
  4. Hello Nancy!
    You’re growing in your garden some interesting vegetables!
    I don’t know the bitter gourd,is it something similar with the zucchini?
    We do have white eggplants! Your recipes sounds very yummy!
    Thank you for sharing! Enjoy your day and week!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is different from zucchini. Bitter gourds have bitter taste. Have a great day!

      Delete
    2. ...and bitter gourds tend to be crunchier in texture. As it is less moist, it wont get as soggy as a stuffed zucchini would!

      Delete
    3. Between bitter gourds and zucchini, I prefer bitter gourds.

      Delete
  5. Your home cooked home grown bitter gourd dish is absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks amazing, always so nice to prepare something homegrown.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...your garden is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What satisfaction to harvest your own food and cook such lovely meals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was fun seeing the progress of your bittergourd.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My son hates eating bitter gourds
    but I can totally see him eat this.
    Its fried and looks crunchy.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he will enjoys eating my stuffed bitter gourd.

      Delete
  11. They sound really good. I have never seen bitter gourds or anything that looks like that here. Have a good week Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on your gardening success! These bitter gourds look so cute....and I'm sure they taste lovely. You know I've never tried them! Great recipe btw, thanks for sharing. I love cooking, so I'd love to give it a try.

    https://modaodaradosti.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to try this dish. Sounds very yummy.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. Their little flowers are cheerful, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Por aquí no hay calabaza amarga. Muchos besos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Que bonita es la planta y las flores que la adornan. Ese bjen fruto recolectado en su jardín hace tener un ingrediente en l comida muy ecológico.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never heard of these, the little flowers are cute

    ReplyDelete
  18. Do you know, I love bitter gourd fry?..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love bitter gourd fried too.

      Delete
    2. The precious tasty treasures you have as accompaniment when eating Banana Leaf rice? Yummy...

      Delete
    3. Yes, the deep fried crispy bitter gourd slices.

      Delete
  19. SO wonderful that you had quite a good harvest. I must try cooking stuffed bittergourd as yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love stuffed bittergourd, just that sometimes I am lazy to make them.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...