Thursday 8 November 2018

First Time Growing Kale In My Garden

A friend blessed me with some Kale seeds she brought back from overseas when she went over to visit her son and his family. I have never seen a real Kale so I have no idea how Kale looks like. I sprinkled the seeds in this round pot.
 Only a few of the seeds sprouted.
I wasn't expecting much from the seedling.
 Anyway, I dutifully water and fertilize the seedlings.
 The Kale look so thin.
 The stems are long and skinny.
The leaves are not as curly as those I see on the internet.
 I had no idea when it due for harvest so I waited.
*     *     *     *     *
1st Dinner - Home cooked.
 Black Vinegar Pork Trotter
 Blanched Choy Sum (bought from mini market) and topped with sprinkling of sambal hae bee (spicy dried shrimps).
*     *     *     *     *
2nd Dinner - Home cooked
 For the 2nd day dinner, I decided to harvest some of the bigger Kale leaves.
 And leave behind the smaller leaves to continue to grow on the plants for future harvest.
My friend advised me that Kale will be tough for stir fries, so I decided to blanch the Kale. Again I sprinkled sambal hae bee on the blanched Kale.

 There was another serving of black vinegar pork trotter from the previous day. So together with blanched Kale, that was our simple home cooked dinner. 
The leaves are growing bigger again and I will have another harvest soon. I am wondering whether I could get to harvest some seeds from these Kale plants. Will have to wait and see.
 Fencing from Teluk Intan
 Can you see the design of the metal fence?
The photos were taken from a moving car.
The design of the fencing is not clear when seen from a distance.

Linking to Good Fences.

All these people were still living by faith when they died.
They did not receive the things promised;
they only saw them and welcomed them from a distance,
admitting that they were foreigners and strangers on earth.
(Hebrews 11:13, New International Version-NIV)

48 comments:

  1. Awesome homemade meal! The kale looks very different from the one we have here, but I am sure they are very tasty and good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Kale is from US and the leaves are less curly. The blanched kale taste good and they are not tough.

      Delete
  2. Kale is so popular here, everyone is eating it. My daughter-in-law makes kale chips by baking them in the oven with some oil. Krispy and good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale chips is new to me. Will try if I have lots of Kale. Lol!

      Delete
  3. Hmm the kale look different from the ones I had overseas. Different variety probably. Supposed to be a nutritious veg, so it's good you can plant it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I noticed the leaves are not so curly. Maybe it is warmer here.

      Delete
  4. There are a few variety of kale I believe. I think yours are just kale and not curly kale. Are they tough even when blanched? if yes, maybe you need to massage the leaves with salad dressings like PH does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think its the not so curly kale. When blanched, even the stems can be eaten. Just only a bit fibrous like the choy sum.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful that you plant your own kale! Must be delicious eaten with your awesome vinegar pork trotters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are several varieties of kale some can be a little tough but putting it into some boiling water for a few minutes before you stir fry should help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamas! That's what my friend advised me and they are nice when blanched.

      Delete
  7. Hello Nancy!
    This is a different variety of kale,from what we have here!
    Your homemade meal looks so delicious!
    Lovely pictures from the fences! Have a great day!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seeing the black vinegar pork trotter makes me crave for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...yes, it is also one of my favourite dish.

      Delete
  9. The kale you are growing there looks quite different from that which is grown here. I am sure that both varieties are equally good from a dietary standpoint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David. As long as they are fresh from the garden.

      Delete
  10. Your kale and your cooking are beautiful, it looks like a very nice variety of kale. Yes, i did see the pretty pattern on the metal fence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Same as you, I have not idea how kale looks like, how does it taste then after you cooked and tasted it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First, I didn't know whether the seeds will grow. Then, I wondered how it tastes like. Now, I know they taste good and I enjoy the kale. I would love to grow them again.

      Delete
  12. Comida casera muy buena. Buena tarde.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've had kale many times. It's good. Kale salad is really good. Good for you too.

    I love all your dishes. Yummy.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee! Maybe one day, I will try kale salad.

      Delete
  14. My mother occasionally used kale for a casserole dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first time eating kale. Hope to try new ways of cooking or using kale as a dish.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Once it started, they are growing fast. I had the 2nd harvest today.

      Delete
  16. I have only grown kale once and it was so tough I never tried it again!!!! Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I am harvesting them when they are tender so they won't be so tough.

      Delete
  17. Lovely kale. Hope it grows well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose! I had a 2nd harvest this morning.

      Delete
  18. Replies
    1. Thank you, Small Kucing! Very appetizing chu kiok choh!

      Delete
  19. home grown is always the best

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...