Monday 22 August 2022

Braised Black Pomfret With Pickled Veggie & Stewed "Kow Chai" Duck

It was a nice cloudy morning for our early morning walk.

7:08am
That morning, I needed to go to the bank. So we drove out to town for breakfast at Restoran Memorable Good Taste.
We ordered 2 "usual" breakfast sets for us (as above).
We only need to mention "the usual" to the boss and he knows what we want.
1 portion of wonton noodle with the following accompaniments.
This wonton noodle is thinner than the usual wonton and the portion is small.
A bowl of soup with 5 pieces of wonton dumplings and 1 piece of sui kao (big dumpling).
A bowl of stewed savoury pork ribs about 4 to 5 pieces, depending on the size.
The generous lady boss gave each of us a bowl of pickled green chilies. This seldom happens at most wanton noodle stalls.
This breakfast costs us between RM12 to RM13 for 2 people.
We pass by here on our morning walk on most mornings.
~~~~~
Our dine-out evening with friends at Restoran Wong Sheng, Ipoh.
Blanched pak choy with slices of canned bailing mushroom.
Stewed duck or "kao chai" duck.
"Kao chai" means puppy in Cantonese. It is just a name given to the dish.
Fried black pomfret topped with pickled vegetables, meat slices, tofu, tomatoes, and etc. It was a nice and satisfying dinner for 4 of us. Dinner including rice and hot water for Chinese tea = RM106.
A mural of a bull pulling a cart.
I found this mural on the wall of a school in Tanjung Tualang, Perak when we were there for a seafood lunch and a short visit.

Linking to Monday Mural.

The Lord is my fort where I can enter and be safe;
no one can follow me in and slay me.
H is a rugged mountain where I hid; he is my Savior,
a rock where none can reach me, and a tower of safety.
H is my shield. He is like the strong horn of a mighty fighting bull.
(Psalm 18:2, The Living Bible-TLB)

32 comments:

  1. Duck & fish dishes look good. They give the pickled green chili with Kuching kolo mee. I like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...that sure is an interesting mural, I would never see that here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dinner looks very tasty! That fish is a favourite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Nancy for another delicious post. I don't think I have eaten Braised Black Pomfret With Pickled Veggie before. Do you know why Stewed "Kow Chai" Duck is called this name? I don't. Just curious why call it puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard someone telling me that this stewed duck recipe is the same as the recipe used for cooking stewed dog from the olden days. That is how the name "kow chai" duck came about.

      Delete
    2. Oh dear. I wouldn't want to eat that.

      Delete
    3. Don't worry, Mun. This "puppy" duck recipe used duck only.

      Delete
  5. Great food as always. Great mural find Nancy. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute murals! I love wun tun soup and those 2 clipped trees. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was hungry this morning and I knew if I cam here I would have lots of great food.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  8. The trees and roof of the house you pass by are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That anonymous comment above was by me, Gigi hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gigi for coming back to let me know. So very nice of you.

      Delete
  10. Wow yummy! The pokcoy with mushroom dish looks so silky and smooth....It's very healthy dear. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lindo jardín. Genial mura. Te mando un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to have a restaurant where you go so often they know what you want.

    Nice mural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of them can remember their regular customers' "usual".

      Delete
  13. How do these people even remember?! I have 2 kids and I sometimes mix up who likes what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too wonder how they remember with so many regular customers.

      Delete
  14. I tried to leave you a comment two days in a row, Nancy, and got a "failed to publish" message. I hope this goes through because that mural is absolutely fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elizabeth. I am so sorry for the inconvenience. I too have problem leaving comments on some blogs.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...