Tuesday 11 October 2022

Growing Bottle Gourd In My Garden

We went to buy fertilizer and at the same time to pick up some vegetable seeds. I saw and was interested in the packet of Bottle Gourd seeds. I am interested in trying to grow vegetables that I haven't tried before so I bought a packet of the Bottle Gourd seeds.

#1
Bottle gourd seedlings grown in a big pot.
#2
The bottle gourd vines about 25 days later from photo #1 above.
#3
Sign of flower buds at about a month after planting seedlings. Most of the early buds fell off and do not form gourds.
#4
Gourds started to appear when the vines were about 2 months old.
#5
The first 4 bottle gourds in my garden.
#6
The feeling of joy watching the gourds grow day by day.
#7
Finally, I harvested the first 2 bottle gourds from my garden after about 2 months plus from the planting of the seedlings. The longer gourd is about 15 inches long.
#7
This is my first time cooking bottle gourd. I used half of the bottle gourd to boil soup. I added some meat and fish balls to the soup.
#8
Next day, I used the one and half of the remaining gourds to boil soup with carrot, red dates, goji berries and pork ribs, just like how I boil the yellow cucumber soup. The soup was enough for 4 people, so I gave half to my neighbour.
#9
Few days later, I harvested the 3rd and 4th gourds from the vine. I gave away the above 2 gourds to 2 of my friends for them to boil soup. There are now a few small gourds on the vines and I am waiting for them to grow big and mature before harvesting them.
A portrait of Marilyn Monroe, an American actress.
I found this portrait at the lobby of a hotel in Penang.
(Born 1926, Died 1962)


For everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die.
A time to plant and a time to harvest.
(Ecclesiastes 3:1-2, New Living Translation-NLT)

46 comments:

  1. I don't think I've eaten this kind of gourd before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have what we call a Green Thumb. Everything you grow thrives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. I love to plant and see them grow. Better still, to harvest and enjoy them.

      Delete
  3. Well your plant and fruit look ever so healthy Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know the feeling. When the wood-strawberries from 1974 grow I am always so happy!
    Next year I will try beans.
    Nice you share with neighbors, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Iris. I am waiting to grow the beans too but they are long beans.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for your sharing, I love garden and planty ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom used to cook bottle gourd with dried shrimp...very tasty and appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember this recipe. I think I will cook this with the next gourd I get from the vine.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Nancy. Wow! Congrats on growing this bottle gourd successfully. I think you can grow all sorts of vegetables and fruits in your garden nowadays. You are 👍what vegetables are next on your list to plant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun. I am waiting for empty pots because I can grow new vegetables.

      Delete
  8. Amén
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lillian. I am getting ready to dinner soon.

      Delete
  10. Oh. This is bottle gourd. I didn't know it's name. Hehe. Learn something today. Wish I have green fingers like you, anything can grow so well in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I can see many small gourds hanging on the vines now.

      Delete
  11. ...Marilyn is an iconic figure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a wonderful green thumb.

    Love your food. We love eating at home.

    Marilyn was most beautiful.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. Amazing picture of Mariyn Monroe.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Nancy, love your gardening and all the lovely food. I was in hospital for a week, it's good to be back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Valerie. It is so good that you are back from hospital. Do take care and have a speedy recovery.

      Delete
  15. 🐰 𝓗𝓲, 𝓝𝓪𝓷𝓬𝔂! 𝓣𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓴 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝓼𝓱𝓪𝓻𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓳𝓸𝔂 𝓸𝓯 𝓹𝓵𝓪𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓷𝓰!
    It is incrediably satisfying to watch the bottle gourds growing from seeds to little spourts, then large gourds. Eventually you you turn them into delicious dishes! Doesn't it Magic ❓ ❣️

    ReplyDelete
  16. You grow so many good things to eat and you are a good cook.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done you, I have never heard of a bottle gourd. Hope all is well. Sorry I have not been around for a while, lots of happenings here!!! Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. Glad you are back with us again. Take care and get well soon.

      Delete
  18. I love bottle gourds! They are great for bowels and skin!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found out that once dry it can be used as a container. Do you dare to decorate one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too because when the gourds are left to grow over matured, the skin harden. I am more interested in using them as food for my table. Lol!

      Delete
  20. Hope by the time I come back, there are still plenty for me.. .hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda planta. . Te mando un beso. https://enamoradadelasletras.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. You sure have a green thumb! It's wonderful to grow your own veggies.
    xoxo
    Lovely
    www.mynameislovely.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks like this plant will provide you with many meals!
    Thanks for sharing at https://image-in-ing.blogspot.com/2022/10/tile-and-wood-work-at-sancar-turkish.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can see many small gourds on the vines.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...