Tuesday 15 September 2015

Growing Maidenhair Fern In My Garden

I have this fern called Maidenhair fern growing in my garden. Its scientific name is Adiantum. Besides the one growing in my garden, I have seen 2 other species. One has a slightly smaller sized leaflets than the one in my garden. And there is another which has very delicate tiny leaflets, the smallest of the 3 species.
Maidenhair fern grows well in moist garden soil with good water drainage.
It only needs fertilizing once in a while.
 It is best placed in shaded area, away from direct sunlight. 
There was once when I was away from home for a few days and my Maidenhair plant was all dried up by the time I came home. I cut off all the dead leaves together with its stems and watered it as usual. Very soon, new fiddleheads will grow out from the rhizomes in the soil.
I found these root-like thing or rhizomes at the  base of the plant and on the surface of the soil.
A new fiddlehead growing from the base of the plant.
The new or young leaves will be in pale green.
Maidenhair fern enjoys shade and is suitable as indoor plant.
Maidenhair fern has long, thin and black leaf stems.
 The fronds spreads out and droop with their small fan-like leaflets.
There are spores on the underside of the leaflets.
Only the matured leaflets have spores.
Propagation can be done through spores or through division of rhizomes.
A kingdom divided against itself will collapse.
A home filled with strife and division destroys itself.
(Mark 3:24-25, TLB)

38 comments:

  1. O belo verde da avenca numas belas fotografias.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francisco. Wishing you a beautiful day!

      Delete
  2. I have seen this plant before. Very fragile looking plant with soft thin black stem. Such a beautiful plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I am looking for the smallest leaflet, hope to find it.

      Delete
  3. I also see this plant for the first time, it looks so thin and fragile to me.

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful plant and looks like you saved it just in time!
    I don't think i've ever seen one before now.
    ~lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. Now I have 2 pots and they are quite easy to grow and take care.

      Delete
  5. You have such a wonderful green thumb. I love all your food and your garden too.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful, Nancy! You are so good with plants and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never seen anything like this before.This looks like a great plan.
    www.tomntins.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. it is very original fern we don't that type in Poland. Really lovely plant.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a beautiful fern.. :) lovely blog you have.. thanks for visiting my blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was so commonly seen by the side of the road at my parent's hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LiLi, I can imagine the lovely sight with these plants lining the side of the road.

      Delete
  11. Fern plant. They can be beautiful addition to a garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Yes they do. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  12. A beautiful plant and certainly saved just in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamasmercantile. If water is not given in time, the plant would have died.

      Delete
  13. All about maiden... maybe one day I get some from you to put at my porch there.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire, you are welcome! Whenever you want one!

      Delete
  14. I used to have this fern as well but they all died. They did not grow back as yours did. Guess no green fingers here. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun, I thought mine couldn't make it too but I guessed I watered it just in time.

      Delete
  15. Nancy, I remember this plant! If I am not mistaken, it has a peculiar smell. Maybe I remembered wrongly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, the ones in my garden do not have any smell. Could be another plant.

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thank you, Lisa. We do eat fiddleheads but not of this kind.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...