Monday 21 September 2015

Growing Wishbone Flowers In My Garden

The first time I have tried to grow Wishbone flower plant, I was not successful. It died after the first few flowers appeared. Some of it's seeds must have drop onto the ground because one day, out of the blue I saw a baby Wishbone flower plant growing near the base of the flower pot.
Wishbone Flower is its common name. Its scientific name is Torenia.
Wishbone Flower plant is a short, bushy plant that is about 1 foot tall.
Wishbone Flower plant is suitable for growing in containers or hanging pots.
It is also suitable to grow in garden beds or as front borders.
It grows well in moist garden soil with good water drainage.
Over watering will cause root rot.
It likes the morning sun or partial shade.
To encourage more branches and more flowers, pinch or cut off spent flowers.
I fertilize it once in every 2 to 3 weeks.
This Wishbone flower is shaped like a trumpet and in shades of purple with 2 spot of yellow.
This Wishbone flower is in shades of violet with 2 yellow spots.
Matured seeds.

Propagation is through seeds.
It is a beautiful flowering plant that blooms abundantly.

And God is able to bless you abundantly,
so that in all things at all times,
having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.
(2 Corinthians 9:8, NIV)

34 comments:

  1. I only know about chicken wishbones. Did not know that there is a flower named wishbone flowers. This flower looks so much like the bunga telang

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun, I also came to know of the name only recently. I used to call it the purple flower.

      Delete
  2. Have I told you that I love your garden? I really love your garden.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Actually it is a very simple garden with its ups and downs.

      Delete
  3. It is certainly a beautiful looking flowering bloom, one that I have never come across before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mamas, it is quite a common flower over here.

      Delete
  4. That is such a beautiful little flower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're very pretty. I don't recall ever hearing of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, I have this pant in my garden. The little flowers are very beautiful when they are in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Irene, yes, yours plants are very healthy and the flowers are so beautiful!

      Delete
  7. Oppsss...typo error...should be "plant" instead of "pant"...hahaha!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I go Ipoh, lend me see your plant ya...

    My latest post, is about plant too, guess you will loves it, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. You are welcome to visit my plants. Oh yes, I would be coming to visit your post soon.

      Delete
  9. I'm amazed at how many different plants that are growing in your garden that I have never seen before. Thanks for sharing these with us.
    Hugs
    JB

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julia, I think the plants in my garden are mostly tropical plants and not commonly found in your country.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful and fascinating, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know this plant but did not know its cute name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose, I too only came to know its actual name only recently.

      Delete
  12. Nancy, I have seen these cute flowers before. Just that I didn't know it is called Wishbone Flower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phong Hong, yes, it is a common flowering plant. I only came to know its name recently!

      Delete
  13. Nancy I would like to see your garden personally lovely place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Maybe, I will snap some photos of my garden for you to see.

      Delete
  14. Oh I've always wanted to have this plant, so beautiful .
    www.tomntins.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first blue one is very nice! I haven't had much luck with this flower. If I buy the plants nicely from the nursery, they die. Then suka-suka baby plants will pop up here and there. But recently the baby ones haven't survived long enough to flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This happened to me also. The babies come and go, do not stay for long.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...