Monday 28 September 2015

Foodie Haven In Menglembu

An ex-colleague first introduced me to the Menglembu's morning wet market where we can find almost anything we wished to buy and the prices reasonable. Recently, another ex-colleague who is also my foodie friend introduced me to this mobile food haven at the same location.

I was told that by around 1.00 pm, the mobile food stalls will begin to take over the market square. The first time my foodie friend brought me here was about 4.30 pm and some hot selling items were sold out!
We both ordered Ice Kacang and were seated at a long table.
A friendly auntie started a conversation with us.
Deep Fried goodies - 2 pieces of yam (taro) and 1 piece of nien ko, both are my favourites.
This messy looking but very tasty thing was the savoury glutinous rice served with curried sardine and spicy cockles. A very filling item!
My foodie friend and I enjoying our snacks and dessert.
After eating these, no dinner for me that evening! 
Iced cold, chilling desserts from this van! 
 Hot and crispy deep fried goodies stall.
The glutinous rice was from one of these stalls.
Few days later, we had visitors.
So hubby and I came here to pack some snacks at about 2.30 pm.
I was told the Roasted Pork here is hot selling.
Customers were queuing up when we arrived.
I too joined in the queue. While waiting, I got busy taking snapshots.
Snapped this while waiting for my turn. These are not all. Saw more roasted pigs at the back of the small lorry.
I noticed he continued chopping when he looked up to talk to his customers.
RM25.00 worth of roasted pork.
RM5.00 worth of kum chin yoke (skewered BBQ layered meat, fat and liver).
BBQ pig's tongue - RM2.00 (hubby wanted to try this).
Deep fried yam (taro) and nien koh (sticky glutinous rice).
The deep fried yam will taste better with a sprinkling of fine salt.
The glutinous rice cake slice is sandwiched between a slice of sweet potato and yam (taro).
Special request by our visitors!
Best taken with piping hot Chinese tea or black coffee!

Dear brothers, you are only visitors here.
Since your real home is in heaven,
I beg you to keep away from the evil pleasures of this world;
they are not for you, for they fight against your very souls.
(1 Peter 2:11, TLB)

50 comments:

  1. Hello Nancy, the yam and the pork would be favorites of mine! It all looks delicious. Fun foodie post. Wishing you a happy day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen. They are my favourites too. Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. que delicias gosto destes comeres de rua.
    Um abraço e boa semana.
    http://andarilharar.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Francisco. Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  3. I would love the roast pork Nancy! A delightful selection of foods here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This post makes me drooled. Love all except the pig's tongue, no thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene. I did not touch the pig's tongue too.

      Delete
  5. Haven't had any fried taro in ages...wish I could reach in and grab one to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, the fried taro are so crispy and tasted really good!

      Delete
  6. messy looking for sure but delicious too it seems..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like some very interesting dishes there Nancy. I do love the crackled skin of pork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyful. The crackled skin of pork is the best part.

      Delete
  8. Lots of variety here today, the roast pork looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The abc ais kacang looks so special with the purple jelly and such a big portion too. I love to eat the fried nien gao with taro and sweet potatoes - how much is one piece? I have never seen savoury glutinous rice served with curried sardine and spicy cockles before. Does it taste like lo mai fan? I could not find the liver in the kum chin yoke plate - nothing looks like liver in there. All in all, I would like to visit these mobile stalls just to eat the abc, glutinous rice and nien gao.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, it is lo mai fan but served with curried sardine and spicy cockles. The liver pieces are there, its because they looked like bbq meat. We will be returning for more.

      Delete
  10. Whoa this looks like a food fest, so much different dishes and they actually look very delicious!

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya, there are many more types of dishes not shown here.

      Delete
  11. I just had lunch and now I'm hungry already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Food heaven. That's what all this is, food heaven. I love all the great food you eat.

    Have a fabulous day my fried. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. There are many more types of food I have not shown yet!

      Delete
  13. I live in the Southern part of the U.S. and fried food is a very big part of our local fairs and festivals...fried Twinkies, fried candy bars, fried pizza...you name it! It's good to see fried foods are a part of events in other parts of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie, fried food is also a big part of our local fair and festivals. It is definitely very difficult for us to avoid fried food!

      Delete
  14. That pork reminds me so much of what we called letchong kawali here in the philippines, that's actually my dinner for tom. Also, those ice deserts, we also have that like here, we call it halo-halo.

    Now ive noticed that asian countries are very much alike. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have almost the same type of dishes, only some variations and different names.

      Delete
  15. You always seem to have such fun with all these foods...they are strange to me, living out here in West Texas...we do have roasted pork but not quite like the kind you have. Thanks so much for sharing these exotic foods with me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ, what is common to us is exotic to the other. It is very interesting to see each other's food.

      Delete
  16. My mouth is almost watering just looking at the pork...it looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, the crackling skin of the pork is the best part!

      Delete
  17. I havent notice any food truck over here. Would love to try those food on the mobile.

    And wow! I am amazed by the roasted pork stall! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rose, looking at the roasted pork, one can't help but drool over them.

      Delete
  18. Yum, Yum, Yum Nancy especially the pork. My mouth is watering and I won't be able to have any pork. Lucky you. ha,ha,ha.
    Continue to have a great time eating front of me. LOL
    See ya my friend.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. I am sorry you are not able to have any pork. We are also trying our best to cut down on roast pork.

      Delete
  19. Replies
    1. Sharon, you will love this place and all the yummy food!

      Delete
  20. That ice kacang looks so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ladyfi. It is very delicious and big portion!

      Delete
  21. The fried nien koh kuih is one of my favourites, Nancy! But I haven't had it in awhile because the old lady I used to buy it from has closed her stall. I'm also salivating over all the pork dishes. ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I will definitely be going back for my favourites, fried nien koh kuih and fried yam.

      Delete
  22. Nancy, I would gladly skip lunch and eat at the mobile stalls as I see that they have my favourite nian koh and lots of roasted pork! That glutinous rice dish with curried sardines and cockles is something new to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, that's what I intended to do in future. Besides these, there are chee cheong fun and others to feast on!

      Delete
  23. wah lau eh...i see the roast meat...so so so sedap looking...some more cut in big chunk...sedap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...I too was amazed at the amount of roast meat. Enjoying good business!

      Delete
  24. Ooh all the food from this stall looks very tempting indeed. Cheap too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, its a good place to go for good food and at reasonable price.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...