Wednesday 30 September 2015

Growing Purple Chili In My Garden

I saw this purple chilies at a friend's house and when I mentioned that I would like to plant this, she gave me a container with many seedlings ready to be separated and re-potted.
The seedlings were transferred into these containers for them to grow bigger.

Some grow faster than the others.

The bigger ones ready for re-potting.

Once re-potted, they started to grow bigger.
Then they started to bloom and the first fruit appeared! Can you see the purple fruit?

This plant has 2 purple fruits.

The fruit is about 1.25 inch long. The stems and leaves have a tinge of purple and the leaves have purple veins.

My purple chili plants are dwarf plants!

They are easily infested with pest and the leaves will shriveled and drop off.

There is a tinge of purple on the stems and the purple veins on the leaves.

When the fruit is ripe, the purple chilies change to orange red chilies. These chilies are not very hot and spicy.

The chilies in the midst of changing from purple to orange red. Some of the leaves of the 2nd plant have curled up, sign of pest infestation.

The fully ripe ones look nice with striking orange red colour.

Now as for you, dear brothers who are waiting for the
Lord's return, be patient, like a farmer who waits
until the autumn for his precious harvest to ripen.
Yes, be patient. And take courage,
for the coming of the Lord is near.
(James 5:7-8, The Living Bible-TLB)

39 comments:

  1. Uma sequência de fotografias assim vê-se crescer a planta.
    Gostei.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never seen the purple chilly, bet it looks so pretty in a dish or as a decoration!

    Tanya
    www.StripesNVibes.com
    BlogLovin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tanya. It makes good decorations.

      Delete
  3. You have a most wonderful green thumb. I love your chilies.

    Have a fabulous day Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. No wonder I have not seen purple chili before. That is because they turn red when ripe. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to think purple chili will remain purple even when ripe until I saw them changing colour.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, William. They have done well and have been fruiting.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. From purple to orange red....now adays they have so many different species . I must try to plant my own chillie padi....:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elin, this purple chili has been around for a long time but I didn't know it change changes colour when it is ripe.

      Delete
    2. Me too, first time hearing it can change from purple to orange red :p

      Delete
    3. Me too, first time hearing it can change from purple to orange red :p

      Delete
  8. So pretty, and I admire your talent with plants and flowers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a talented gardener, they look very healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen purple chilli that will later turn into red when ripe. Nowadays a lot of weird species, also veg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, I have seen this purple chili before and it has been around for a long time. I agree that there are many other weird species these days.

      Delete
  11. Oh my! I never seen a purple chilli before. So pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its is so attractive that I just have to grow it in my garden.

      Delete
  12. Don't think i ever seen purple chilli before...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nancy, how unusual, purple chilies! I've not seen these before. So they turn red when they are ripe. Chilies are very susceptible to pests and I have given up planting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phong Hong, I too have almost given up on them but there are still a few more I want to try to grow. Let me try these first, then I may give up totally...lol!

      Delete
  14. Oh I thought they turn purple when ripe! I've seen this plant in the nurseries. But since you noted it's susceptible to pests, I better not... my fingers have hardly any green in them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stacy, most chili plants are very susceptible to pests.

      Delete
  15. How cool! I only saw those purple chilies in a garden store before..you are super, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, I have always wanted to grow this purple chili since I saw it.

      Delete
  16. So nice to see them grow from seedling to fruit. My FIL have a plant of this too. But Think already cut it down

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always enjoyed growing plants from seedling or stem cuttings. Very interesting and exciting to watch them grow.

      Delete
  17. How cute! but how do they taste. I have ornamental ones here that I have yet to plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lei, they taste just like normal chilies. To me, they are not as spicy hot as the bird's eye chili.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...