Saturday 11 February 2017

Sharing A Home Cooked Dinner With Our Friends.

After I have cleared my fridge and kitchen of all the unwanted and expired items, I replenished whatever is necessary. Since the Chinese new year, my kitchen has stayed opened till today with one or two days off in between. My sons have gone back to work in the city and there are still meat in the freezer and vegetables in the fridge waiting to be cooked.

So, instead of going out with our friends for dinner on the 7th day of Chinese New Year, I decided to have them over for a simple home cooked dinner. In a way, it was to avoid the festival crowd in the restaurants. We can eat in the comfort of our own home without having to rush through our food, especially with people standing behind us waiting for our table. My home cooked dishes.....
Sweet sour Pork Rib in Plum Sauce.
It looks better with some sprinkling of spring onions.
Yam (taro) with Lai Pak veggie (Chinese White Cabbage)
Soup = fresh wai san (also called Chinese yam), corn, carrot, chicken feet and pork rib.
This special sweet corn was very tender and sweet. The remaining 3 cobs of corn were steamed for our lunch the next day.
Chilled Drunken Chicken - I tried my hand at making this with a boneless drumstick and wing. It was good but hubby is not a fan of chilled dishes. So I guess I won't be making this again.
I cooked a fresh batch of yam bean dish for the Top Hats or Pie Tee shells for our friends to enjoy. This was the "Yan Yat" dinner (7th day) of the CNY celebration shared with friends.
*     *     *     *     *
Some lanterns decoration to share before the CNY celebration is over.
Entrance of Ibis Hotel, Ipoh.
Lanterns hanging in the Lobby.
We were at the hotel to meet up with my sister-in-law.
Today 11th February is the 15th day or the last day (Chap Goh Mei) of the Chinese New Year celebration and after today, everything will be back to normal again.
*     *     *     *     *
The following critter photos were taken in my garden.
I googled and identified this critter as the Squash Bug, a deadly garden pest.
It was found feeding on the damaged chili plant.
This is an enemy that causes great damage to my plants.
 It pierces and sucks out the sap from the plant.
The leaves will wilt, drop off and the plant will dry up and die.
Now I will have to be on constant lookout for these pests.

Linking to Saturday's Critters.

"Keep a sharp lookout! For you do not know when I will come,
at evening, at midnight, early dawn or late daybreak.
Don't let me find you sleeping. Watch for my return!
This is my message to you and everyone else."
(Mark 13:35-37, The Living Bible-TLB)

57 comments:

  1. Soup looks yummy i will try to cook it

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that taro dish looks so wonderful! I miss those floury melt in mouth taros.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. Taro dish is one of my favourites. Yes, I love the floury melt too!

      Delete
  3. Hello, the food looks delicious. I love the pretty lanterns. The bug is a pest, looks like the stink bugs I see here in the summer. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eileen for hosting. Have a happy new week ahead!

      Delete
  4. Such beautiful looking food, you are certainly appear to be a good cook. So nice to make food for friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamas for your kind comments. I used to enjoy cooking for my little family.

      Delete
  5. Your food photos make me hungry! My sympathy on the garden pest, i hope you can find something to keep them away from your plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear. As far as possible I avoid pesticides. The most is I have to remove the affected plant.

      Delete
  6. That first plate looks great and I would eat it but the rest, I'll let them pass. Sorry.
    Have a wonderful Saturday Nancy. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paul. Its understandable. One man's meat is another man's poison. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  7. I'm sure your friends would have enjoyed the meal as all the dishes look so yummy. Happy Chap Goh Mei, Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Irene. I am glad we finished off most of the dishes. Happy Chap Goh Mei!

      Delete
  8. Your home cooked food looks just a wonderful as all the restaurant food you post. Excellent and so yummy.

    Love all the lanterns. So beautiful.

    Yikes on that bug. He's huge and ever so ugly.

    Have a fabulous weekend, Nancy. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee for your kind comments. Yes, that is one ugly and bad bug!

      Delete
  9. That bug does look like it could cause a lot of damage! Beautiful lanterns!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jandi. I only came to know about the bug's damage after I googled for info.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos, and there is nothing better than a home cooked meal. It all looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Most times, I am lazy to cook.

      Delete
  11. Wow!! How can take the picture of the bug..!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to get really close to do it. Surprisingly, it didn't fly away.

      Delete
  12. so much yummy food - i like your pretty plates. i don't know if i would say it was a "simple" home cooked meal!! have a wonderful weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie. The plates were handed down from my hubby's family. Have a beautiful day!

      Delete
  13. This squash bug is so ugly! It looks a bit like our stink bugs, only bigger. Your food looks mouth watering, like in a restaurant by the finest chef! Especially the pork in plum sauce. The lanterns are beautiful! Something we almost never see around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. You are so kind with your comments. Ha ha! I may be the finest chef in my own kitchen. Have a fantastic day!

      Delete
  14. Excellent post (as always)!Thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Same like your hubby, I don't really fancy cold dishes, I prefer my food to be warm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many I know do not like cold dishes but I am the more adventurous type.

      Delete
  16. I think it was a lovely idea for you to invite your friends over for the last dinner of CNY. Relax and enjoy without the crowds, I'm sure they all appreciated your wonderful effort.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. We all enjoyed the meal and have a wonderful time of fellowship after dinner.

      Delete
  17. Oh, I so love those red lanterns...they are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your home cooked meal is delicious! I would be a happy guest and help you wash the dishes hee..hee.. That bug from your garden looks very scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. That bug is indeed a scary one and many of my chili plants have been attacked by them.

      Delete
  19. Very nice, Nancy! All the homecooked food ngam me including the chilled chicken.. I will eat on his behalf next time.. hahahaa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Thank you, Claire. You are most welcome!

      Delete
  20. Delicious food! Happy sunday!:)

    xxBasia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! Seldom see your post on your cooking so this post blow me away!!

    So homey. I never tasted that sweet sour pork rib in plum souce. Long time didnt have that sweet corn soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. So happened that I was in a cooking mode. Hope to cook more often from now on.

      Delete
  22. Home made food is always yummy. Nice looking lanterns...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Replies
    1. Thank you, Sharon. Have a wonderful new week!

      Delete
  24. Thank you, dear. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You cook well... everything looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. The dishes are simple home cooked dishes. Have a great day!

      Delete
  26. you seldom show the dishes you cook but from all the dishes in this post I confirm you are a skillful cook. all of them look delicious especially the taro dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun for your kind comments. I used to cook for my family but now I only cook once in a while. Sometimes I am lazy to cook for just 2 of us.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...