Wednesday 1 February 2017

Growing Cleome Spider Flowers In My Garden.

The flowers I am sharing today is the Cleome Spider Flowers growing in my garden. Its scientific name is Cleome hassleriana. I saw these plants growing in the garden of the bungalow in Fraser's Hill. We were there in July, last year for our holiday.
I had no idea whether these plants will grow in the lowland but the flowers are so pretty, I just have to collect some seeds to take home to try.
I took some dried seed pods from plants of different colours. There were pure white, pink and lilac colours. The plants growing in Fraser's Hill were low about 3 to 4 feet high.
I took some of the tiny seeds from inside the dried seed pods and germinated them in a small flower pot. I was so happy to see the tiny seedlings appeared after a few days. I waited till some of them were about 3 inches height and strong enough to transfer to bigger pots.
I placed the pots at my side garden where they are exposed to 1/2 day sun and they grew to about 2.5 feet when they started to flower.
Flower buds of the Cleome Spider plant.
The individual flower has long flower stalks.
Each leaf has 9 leaflets.
The first colour to appear is the white one.
Each flower has 4 petals with 6 long stamens.
I used normal garden soils with good drainage. Try to keep the soil moist at all times.
 Under hot sun, the petals will curl up and if the soil is dry, the leaves will go limp and droop. 
 From the same plant with the pure white flowers, it also bloomed a mixture of white and pink flowers like the one above.
 This is how the flowers look like when they are viewed from above.
 The pure white flowers viewed from above.
 Another plant has a mixture of white, lilac and purple flowers.
The purple stamens pushing out from the flower buds.
 As the plant grows taller, new flowers continue to bloom.
 This first flower stalk is now about 6 feet tall and it is still flowering. 
 At a closer view, you will see that the 4 petals are arranged on one side above the 6 stamens.
 And the flower petals are facing outwards.
 A mixture of pink, lilac and purple.
 There are lots of seeds forming on the plants.
Plenty of seed pots hanging from the flower stalks.
The average length of the seed pods is about 2.5 to 2.75 inches.
I am glad I brought the seeds back from Fraser's Hill.
Now I can enjoy these beautiful blooms in my own garden.
Due to the current rainy season, my Cleome Spider plants are doing very well.
 These are my latest attraction in my garden. God's beautiful creation.
Gardening may be hard work but these are my reward!

Linking to Floral Bliss.

The Lord will always lead you.
He will meet the needs of your soul in the dry times
and give strength to your body.
You will be like a garden that has enough water,
like a well of water that never dries up.
(Isaiah 58:11, New Life Version-NLV)

67 comments:

  1. You have such an amazing talent for gardening! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. I love gardening because of the joy of seeing the plants grow and enjoy the bloom and fuits.

      Delete
  2. There are a lot of these Spider Flowers around here. In fact, I once did a blog post about them. But none of them are as lush, tall, and healthy as yours!! And your blooms are huge! The ones around here and kind of puny and small compared to yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. I am so happy. I didn't expected the plants to grow so well in my garden in the lowland.

      Delete
  3. Hello Nancy, I'm really astounded at the graceful beauty of the Spider Flowers! It was so nice reading how you collected the seed and then the whole process. Their seed pods are so big, they obviously wish their seeds to be spread around :D)
    They are a most spectacular flower and one that you obviously take a lot of joy in growing. Thank you for sharing them with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue. I am collecting the seeds to share with my gardening friends so that they will also get to enjoy the flowers.

      Delete
  4. Your spider plants are gorgeous and so are your photos. I have once grown these from seed but my result was much poorer than yours :) Happy Wednesday Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riitta. I was very surprised and didn't expect the plants to grow so well in the lowland. Happy day to you too!

      Delete
  5. It is a great flower but we do not it here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gosia. It is not very common around here. I usually see them in the highland.

      Delete
  6. What a beautiful reward for all the work you did:) It just show how much joy your garden gives you and your plants are likewise happy to be under your care:) Happy gardening Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have a talent for gardening, such a beautiful flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamas. Sometimes the plants thrive, sometimes they don't. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  8. The lilac colour is so soft and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mun. It is a very attractive colour.

      Delete
  9. Lovely. Love the white pink combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. It is a very sweet and lovely combination.

      Delete
  10. I've never seen those flowers before, but look so beautiful!!!
    I love flowers too so I can understand how happy you can be to see them bloom under your care! :D
    xxx
    S
    http://s-fashion-avenue.blogspot.it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boa tarde, gosto de muito de flores mas desconheço o nome de grande parte delas, fiquei a saber o nome das belas flores excelentemente captadas.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I googled for the names, sometimes i ask the gardening experts for the names.

      Delete
  12. beautiful flowers ...yes it is rewarding :) it is a joy to see the results of one's hardwork..God bless those who work hard :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Elin. The joy only gardeners will understand. Lol!

      Delete
  13. Very pretty! I can't recall if I've heard of them before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. beautiful - nice for us to see this time of year. such a pretty shade of purple!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have a fabulous green thumb, Nancy.

    Have a terrific day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have no green fingers, all the plants and flowers which I bought died in the end :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Libby, maybe you are too busy to take care of them.

      Delete
  17. Fabulous flowers :)
    www.evelinebison.pl

    ReplyDelete
  18. a wonderful plant. I think I have seen a white one but yours are absolutely gorgeous :) Nice shots too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's beautiful Nancy. Have not seen one like that here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lei. Now I am seeing quite a few in my garden! Lol!

      Delete
  20. So much beautiful flowers!!! If I had stayed near you, I would have take some of seeds from you.. I would love to grow the plant..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Krishna. If you are my neighbour, you can have both the seeds and seedlings! Lol!

      Delete
  21. It's so nice how you take the time to see their progress, amazing :)
    I am following you via GFC, follow back?
    Walking Freckle

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nancy, your Cleome are so beautiful! It brings back memories of when I planted them in my garden 16 years ago! My God I can't believe it's been 16 years already hah..hah.. Mine were attacked by caterpillars. And in the end they died. I have not been able to find the seeds at the gardening section since :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. Time really fly by fast. So caterpillars love these plant, then I better watch out for them. If you are still interested in growing this flower, I can pass some seeds to you when they are ready to be collected.

      Delete
    2. That is so sweet of you, Nancy! Thank you :)

      Delete
  23. Wow!Beautiful flowers blooming

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm thinking of the joy in your heart to watch these beauties grow from seeds. Spider is perfect name! White is my favorite. And I love the Scripture too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow these are beautiful! I enjoyed watching them 'grow' on my screen haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy. I am glad to enjoy watching them. Have a lovely day!

      Delete
  26. It is one of my favorite flowers. Very interesting to see it grow as shown in your pictures. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise. It is my first time growing this in my garden. So happy with the outcome.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...