Wednesday 5 April 2017

Polka Dots Leaves Plant Growing In My Garden.

I will call this plant Polka Dot because I don't know its actual name. I found this plant growing among the weeds on the roadside while we were holidaying up in Fraser's Hill last year. The leaves of the plant are green and there are pink or light purple dots or spots on the leaves.
We were actually looking for wild impatiens by the roadsides when I chanced upon these spotted leaves.
Using a dead branch I managed to dug up a few small plants with their roots intact. I took some and gave the rests to the other 2 friends and we brought them back to plant in our garden.
From the above photo, you can see the difference of the older leaves when brought back from the highlands and the newer leaves during its growth in the lowland.
As the young leaves matured, the dots or spots increases on the leaves.
Maybe it is because of the soil condition and fertilizer, the new leaves are bigger in size.
The stems tend to grow straight and leggy and I have to trim back the stems to encourage more branches to grow.
I wondered whether it will look good growing as a hanging pot plant.
The shades of green on the leaves depends on the amount of sunlight it receives. Darker shade of green means lesser sunlight, lighter and brighter green means more sunlight.
This Polka Dot plants has very tiny purple flowers.
These tiny pretty purple flowers are very delicate.
Thanks to Ginny Hartzler, my blogger friend, this Polka Dot plant has a name. It is Hypoestes phyllostachya. Not easy to pronounce.
*     *     *     *     *
Below are photos of another unidentified purple flowering plant from my garden.
The flowers are small and pretty.
If you are interested, you can click here for a post on this plant which I have titled "My Dainty Purple Flower"
Until now, I have yet to know its actual name.

Linking to Floral Bliss.

"I know you well; you aren't strong,
but you have tried to obey and have not denied my Name.
Therefore I have opened a door to you that no one can shut.
(Revelation 3:8, The Living Bible-TLB)

45 comments:

  1. So pretty flowers & pink spotted leaves Nancy. They go so well with their pink container! Have a nice day - it's grey and wet here, but I'll go out now. Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Riitta. Do keep warm. Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  2. I have never seen those polka dots plants here..so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie. I have seen other varieties at the plant nurseries but not this one.

      Delete
  3. Thank you, dear. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the purple flowers are so pretty especially the colour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These leaves are rather pretty and I like the little pink flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong. The pretty leaves make up for the tiny flowers.

      Delete
  6. ...and it would grow in a pot in my house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tom. It would grow beautifully for you!

      Delete
  7. wow amazing dear :)

    http://denimakeup95.blogspot.it/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very beautiful and you have an amazing green thumb.

    Have a fabulous day. ☺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Some plants are easy to grow. Have a good day!

      Delete
  9. When i get to meet you, must get gardening tips from you...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...my gardening tips are very simple ones.

      Delete
  10. Hi, Nancy!
    I'm like you and don't know the names of the plants but love them and try to grow them the best I know how! I like pink so I like both of these, especially the second one. It looks like it is sturdy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. I have a few unidentified plants in my garden. Currently, both plants are doing well.

      Delete
  11. Here is the name: Polka dot plant (Hypoestes phyllostachya)
    They originated in Madagascar. Here, they are used as house plants. Your photos are beautiful! I know yours will flourish, you can grow anything!!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. Thanks for the name and info. Now I know they will do well as indoor plants and I will move them to a more shady place.

      Delete
  12. They are very pretty and free if you found them growing wild. Lucky you. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane. Yes, they are growing wild by the roadside. Enjoying nature's free gift.

      Delete
  13. They look beautiful. I have seen them here in Pakistan but with white polka dots
    have a nice day
    Glamorous without the Guilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen other kinds at the nursery but this is the first I have seen growing wild by the roadside.

      Delete
  14. The purple flowers are a pretty sight.

    ReplyDelete
  15. While i have seen spotted leaves before, i have no idea what the plant is called, or if the one i saw was the same plant. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi. Sometimes, they look similar but are not the same.

      Delete
  16. How beautiful.
    I loved the pictures.
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a beautiful plant....and I see Ginny gave it a name.

    I wanted to thank you for your comments on my Pics&Pieces blog. I am going to try to just hand over my worries and fear to the Lord.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. And also thanks to Ginny for the name. The Lord is our refuge in times of needs.

      Delete
  18. The polka dot plant is so pretty! I'm rather amused now thinking of you digging all around Frasers Hill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stacy, ha ha I was not the only one, there were 3 of us. We only search along the roadside near the bungalow area. We were careful not to harm the plants, we only took what we needed and help the plants migrated to the lowland. Ha ha!

      Delete
  19. I've seen that pretty polka dot as a potted house plant ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sallie. I never thought it as a house plant. Have a good day!

      Delete
  20. Very pretty, Nancy... I've seen these many times --used as house plants here.. It's neat that they grow wild there.. Just gorgeous!!! Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Betsy. Now that I know it makes good house plant, I will move them to a more shady area. Hopefully the dot will increase and the colour will improve. Have a great day!

      Delete
  21. It is obvious that you are very interested in plants and gardening, for me I have no green fingers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Libby, I am very interested in plants and I love gardening but am now focusing more on edibles.

      Delete
  22. The dot leaves and the Purple flowers look so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...