Wednesday 12 December 2018

Home Cooked Meals With Winged Beans & Red Okra.

When I first planted winged beans or the four angled beans in my garden, it took quite a while for the plants to produce beans. They started blooming flowers but most of the flowers dropped off probably due to the heavy downpour. After a while, the beans started to appear and every morning I get to harvest a handful of beans. The freshly plucked tender beans taste good and they can be raw as salad (ulam) eaten with spicy prawn paste (sambal belacan).

I missed the rendang dish which I used to enjoy eating before my retirement. So one day, I decided to cook my own beef rendang dish. A rendang dish is meat cooked in coconut milk and spices. It is a dry curried meat dish cooked until the meat is tender and have absorbed all the flavour of the spices. 
Yummy beef rendang dish and blanched winged beans.
My beef rendang dish recipe is a very simple one. If you are interested, there are many simple rendang recipes on youtube, Rendang can be eaten with bread, plain white rice or rice cooked in coconut milk (nasi lemak), etc.
Winged beans can be eaten raw (ulam) but hubby prefer cooked beans. These beans were blanched in hot boiling water with salt added and eaten plain with the rendang dish.
*     *     *     *     *
We couldn't finish the rendang dish and the left over was kept for the next day's dinner. Left over rendang taste better than freshly cooked rendang.
*     *     *     *     *
Freshly harvested tender and crunchy winged beans and red okra, ready for another day's dinner.
Winged beans and red okra from my garden.
Blanched winged beans and red okra (turned pale green when cooked). This dish was served with crunchy fried garlic and garlic oil and oyster sauce drizzled over the dish.
Fried a few fishes for dinner.
My son brought back a whole tub of fresh fishes from his fishing trip.
One morning we saw black chicken sold in the mini market. I haven't cooked black chicken soup for a long, long time. I bought one black chicken to boil a simple soup with goji berries (kei chee) and red dates.
This morning I managed to snap some clear pictures of the winged bean flowers.
Once the sun is up, the pictures won't turn out nicely.
If we take time to notice, every flower has its own beauty.


Then God said, "Let the land produce vegetation:
seed-bearing plants and trees on the land that bear fruit with seed in it,
according to their various kinds."
And it was so. The land produced vegetation:
plants bearing seed according to their kinds and
trees bearing fruit with seed in it according to their kinds.
And God saw that it was good.
(Genesis 1:11-12, New International Version-NIV)

51 comments:

  1. The winged bean flowers are lovely; they look like orchids! I have heard black chickens are more expensive than regular ones. How does the taste compare?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny! The soup boiled with black chicken tastes better than normal chicken. Have a beautiful weekend!

      Delete
  2. The winged beans flowers are so lovely, i love to drink black chicken soup, it is very nutritious and tasty, my mom used to cook it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! We were told that the black chicken soup is very nutritious.

      Delete
  3. I just love to eat blanched winged beans and red okra just like that - kosong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hardly see any red okra here.

    Winged beans! I like mine cooked with belacan or sambal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rendang looks good with lots of thick gravy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong! Can't afford to eat this too often. Lol!

      Delete
  6. I haven't see red ocra before...Yes, I prefer overnite rendang as it is more flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Nux V! I have only seen red ones twice. Saw someone growing them before.

      Delete
  7. ...those wing bean flowers are a wonderful color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Nancy!
    I haven’t heard about black chicken before! It must be so delicious!
    All of your meals look so yummy,especially the fried fishes!
    The winged beans flowers looks like the Sweet peas.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures!
    Have a lovely day!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, DIMI! I haven't tried growing sweet peas, probably our weather is not suitable. Have a lovely day too!

      Delete
  9. The winged beans flowers look prettier and well-made dishes from home picked !

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed your Post. Happy WednesdayAroundTheWorld!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, EricaSta! Have an enjoyable weekend!

      Delete
  11. I love your home cooked meals. Yummy.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review and beautiful photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a good gardener and cook, everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hummmm gosto destas refeições caseiras.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hmmm this looks so tasty!
    Thank you for this lovely recipe, definetly need to try it.

    Need cute cat content?
    And some christmas vibes, take a look at my Youtube Video HERE

    ReplyDelete
  16. Black chicken? Now there is something that I've never seen in my life. I've seen a black chicken but when you cooked it, it was white, never black meat. Amazing. See ya Nancy.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is amazing. It has white feathers but the meat is black.

      Delete
  17. La comida se ve riquísima y las flores son muy bonitas. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. rendang so delicious. love it.

    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Dear Nancy!
    Black chicken? The first time I hear about such a chicken.
    The food looks very appetizing. I love Okra but in my country it's too cold for her. It will not grow.
    The bean flowers are lovely.
    Hugs and greetings.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never heard of winged beans, the flowers are very pretty. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks like you have been busy cooking, Nancy, with great results I must say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, David! All depends on my mood! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  22. Good cook with fresh ingredients... the best!

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...