Thursday 6 December 2018

Planting, Harvesting & Cooking Purple Brinjals.

We called this fruit or vegetable brinjal but in some countries it is known as eggplant. I have grown green or yellow brinjals (click here) and white brinjals (click here) in my garden. Now I am growing the long purple brinjals in my garden.
These are the common long purple brinjals that we can easily find in our local markets.
I bought a packet of long purple brinjal seeds from the plant nursery and sowed them in small containers.
Then I transferred them into bigger pots, putting 2 plants in one pot.
Altogether I have 6 plants in 3 pots.
Some tend to grow faster than the others.
The flower for all the coloured brinjals is the same.
Finally, the first purple brinjal from one of the brinjal plants.
Then the other plants started to show off their fruits.
Both the purple and white brinjal plants growing side by side.
Purple brinjals from my garden.
Those that I missed grew yellow and not suitable to be eaten.
The yellow brinjal will be kept for its seeds.
One of the day's harvest for our dinner.
From the garden to the dining table as a spicy and appetizing dish.
 On another evening, I used these to cook for dinner.
 Without the skin, both the white and purple brinjals look alike.
Steamed brinjals and a winged bean for our dinner.
Topped with garlic oil and dried scallop sauce (instead of oyster sauce).
*     *     *     *     *
The above pictures with my garden fence and the brightly coloured fence (below) are for joining Good Fences.
Linking to Good Fences.

My son, honey whets the appetite and so does wisdom!
When you enjoy becoming wise, there is hope for you!
A bright future lies ahead!
(Proverbs 24:13-14, The Living Bible-TLB)

34 comments:

  1. Amazing! Wish I could join you for the dinner :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! You are welcome to join our simple home cooked dinner!

      Delete
  2. Yes, these look like the purple eggplants we have here. Only yours is a more brilliant purple. Goodness, this fence!!! The place must be owned by Barbie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny! The owner of the house could be a Barbie's fan!

      Delete
  3. I ate two of those yesterday! I am keeping the remainder for today... organic is always healthy and nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better to consume them while they are fresh for better taste. Now have to wait for the next harvest.

      Delete
  4. Hello Nancy!
    Such beautiful pictures from your garden!
    We call them eggplants and they are my husbands favorite!
    Like the fuchsia fences and the house!
    Have a happy Thursday!
    Dimi...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggplant is also one of my husband's favourite!

      Delete
  5. We seem only to see the purple brinjals here and they are a fruit not a vegetable. One of my favourites and yes we eat them as a vegetable 😊 Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! It is only recently that I came to know that there are other colours besides the purple ones.

      Delete
  6. Bravo to you for your vegetable garden. I love to eat brinjals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love brinjals too. I am feeling very encouraged with the harvest.

      Delete
  7. What a fantastic job you have done growing these amazing plants. They look tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy with the harvest from these plants.

      Delete
  8. ...fresh from the garden is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tom! That is the reward for growing our own food.

      Delete
  9. We call them eggplants here. They have to be spicy to be good. They are rather bland. Your dish looks fabulous.

    Have a terrific day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love it in curries, stir fried and also steamed. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. Brinjal is my favourite and I love it when cooked together with minced meat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby! Sometimes I cook it with minced meat too.

      Delete
  11. Hello Nancy!

    He grew wonderful plants.
    The dish looks very tasty.
    Hugs and greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such nice looking veggies and delicious dinners. That fence is certainly a bright pink!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimi! No one can miss that pink fence.

      Delete
  13. Por aquí son muy parecidas, a mí me gustan mucho. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You really have a green thumb. Good harvests from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stacy! Just plant and let the plants grow.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...