Tuesday 11 June 2019

Glutinous Rice Dumplings & Lemang.With Beef Rendang

My Bauhinia Kockiana plants are in full bloom and I think it is because they are happy with the mixture of sunny and rainy weather.
Even my friends and neighbours commented on the abundance of striking orange flowers that can be seen from afar. 
 After harvesting the pineapple fruit from this plant, there are other shoots growing from the same mother plant. I left them be and wait to see if these will bear fruits too.
*     *     *     *     *
Hari Raya Puasa was celebrated by Muslims on the 5th & 6th June this year.
 We bought the above "Bamboo Rice" or "Lemang" at RM 14 from a roadside stall on the eve of the celebration. 
It is a traditional food item made of glutinous rice, coconut milk and salt, stuffed in the hollow of the bamboo stick lined with banana leaf and cooked over open fire. 
The bamboo can be opened into two, lengthwise and the cooked banana wrapped glutinous rice removed from the bamboo.
I kept this half of the glutinous rice for next day's lunch.
 From the same stall, we bought a small tub of Beef Rendang @ RM 12.
 We only get to eat this once or twice a year.
These traditional food is not sold on normal days.
*     *     *     *     *
The Chinese celebrated the Dumpling "Bak Chang" festival on the 7th June this year.
 We received the above 3 dumplings (with the leaves wrapping removed) from a friend. Each dumpling had a different flavour. Hubby and I shared these for dinner.
This is an old photo showing glutinous rice dumplings with their wrappings.
*     *     *     *     *
The following items are found in the National Museum.
Polished Stone Adze. It is used to chop down and hollow out trees during the Neolithic Age.
Regular trimmings by hubby, fertilizer and the weather brought forth these flowers.
Thank God for blessing us with the abundance of flowers and veggies in our garden.

Linking to Happy Tuesday, Image-in-ing & Tuesday's Treasure.

For the man who uses well what he is given shall be given more,
and he shall have abundance. But from the man who is unfaithful,
even what little responsibility he has shall be taken from him.
(Matthew 25:29, The Living Bible-TLB)

50 comments:

  1. I like both lemang and Chinese rice dumpling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nancy!
    Your flowers are beautiful. Food very original.
    Unfortunately, I do not know and have never eaten such dishes, they look very appetizing.
    Greetings from sunny and warm Poland.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lucja. Now is sunny over here, don't know about later.

      Delete
  3. That bamboo rice roll looks really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and you can eat it with sugar, kaya, or curry.

      Delete
  4. I would love to try this beef☺

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love glutinous rice
    in dumplings or in other dishes.
    I love the stickiness of it.
    Nice post.

    Ann
    https://roomsofinspiration.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures, I am vegetarian so I absolutely avoid eating meat :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a vegetarian but am eating less meat now.

      Delete
  7. Lemang with rendang is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ...the polished stone adze certainly are well preserved. The orange flower I see in Maui, but have never known the name. Thanks Nancy for sharing, I hope that your are enjoying your week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely orange flowers! Beautiful! You got a nyonya chung with blue rice. Must taste good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These chungs taste really good, thanks to my friend to made them.

      Delete
  10. Always a delight to see artifacts from the museum and a joy to see the beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The flowers are gorgeous, and I'm getting hungry looking at all of that wonderful food.
    Hope everybody has a great Tuesday.
    Blacky's Burrow
    https://blackysburrow.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kwiaty pięknie wyglądają :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummy. I love your foodie posts.

    Thank you for joining the Happy Tuesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Happy Tuesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  14. This tree of yours is so stunning! I would not even know how to pronounce it's name! I have also never seen food cooked in this way, it would be fun to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. First, you will need to find the right type of bamboo and the art of lining the inside of the bamboo with banana leaves before putting in the rice and coconut milk.

      Delete
  15. I looove Beef Randang. I remember on my last flight from KL bakc to Manila, I had a meal of Beef Randang with Rice it was so delicious. The Chinese Rice dumplings here are called Mah Chang and my father loves it so much! Those flowers look very lovely and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you have tasted and like beef rendang. Here we call Bak Chang, they sound quite similar.

      Delete
  16. You do have a lovely and prolific garden, and i like special foods that stay special by being served only once a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are blessed to be able to enjoy different types of tradition food from different cultures.

      Delete
  17. The rendang eat with the lemang is the best, yums!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting food post. I have never heard of Bauhinia Kockiana but they are quite beautiful and they seem very happy in your garden. Keep well Diane

    ReplyDelete
  19. The museum artifacts are quite something to see.

    ReplyDelete
  20. All those flowers....so, so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't tried bamboo rice ever in my life. I wish it's available here where I live.

    https://sarahrizaga.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope one day you could get to try this bamboo rice.

      Delete
  22. The bamboo rice isn't something I have heard of

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it can only be found here or maybe other Asian countries.

      Delete
  23. Great pics!Have a successful day dear!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Las flores están preciosas.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ya this year the lemang and bakchang came at the same time! Like siblings from a different mother haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha...and we tend to over indulge in glutinous rice especially for those of us who love lemang and bak chang.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...