Thursday 27 June 2019

Snacks Shopping In Bagan Sungai Burung & Teluk Intan

Everyone was happy and satisfied with the delicious and fresh seafood lunch in Bagan Sungai Burung. After lunch, it was time to take a walk to look around for anything interesting. Earlier, when we were walking to the restaurant, my eyes caught a nearby stall selling fresh dried prawns. Since I use a lot of dried prawns in my cooking, I bought a packet.
 Next, it was time for my camera to get busy.
We found this archway formed by the hanging roots of a Banyan tree (if I am not mistaken) behind a stall.
 Thanks to my friend and tour partner who found this place making Teochew kueh. It is inside the shop which is behind the stall where I bought the dried prawns. 
Steamed Teochew kueh with filling.
My friend and I bought 2 pieces each. They were fresh from the steamer and once we were seated in the bus, we ate one and it was very tasty.
*     *     *     *     *
Our next stop was in Teluk Intan to collect the chee cheong fun (steamed rice noodle). According to the boss, he is the 3rd generation running this business. We noticed that just next door, there is now a business rival competing with him.

Workers preparing the chee cheong fun for steaming.
 I ordered 4 packets of the above chee cheong fun with dried prawns......
But when I reached home, I found out that I had the above with yam bean filling. Anyway, it tasted good after steaming it for a short while.
Next, we were taken to this biscuit shop a short distance from where we collected the chee cheong fun.
A friend recommended this biscuit to me. These are just biscuits without the sweet filling. The skin is crispy and flaky, very nice to eat as snack. Our tour leader had to order this biscuit in advance to make sure that everyone gets his or her share.
These are some of the dry stuffs I brought back from my one day tour. From left to right: 2 packets of biscuits, 2 packets of banana chips, 1 packet of dried prawns......
I also bought a packet of this ground peanut biscuit which was my old time favourite.
If I were to walk back into the shop, I will end up buying some other snacks.

In front of the biscuit shop, these fruits caught our eyes.
 
Yellow flowers from the same plant growing in a pot
 We were told that these are Jujube fruits (Chinese red dates).
 This fruit looks good to eat.
Now, where can I get this plant?
Or can I try to grow from the dried red date seeds?

If he sows to please his own wrong desires, he will be planting seeds
of evil and he will surely reap a harvest of spiritual decay and death;
but if he plants the good things of the Spirit,
he will reap the everlasting life that the Holy Spirit gives him.
(Galatians 6:8, The Living Bible-TLB)

47 comments:

  1. I love that unique archway. Those chee cheong fun look absolutely delicious...really miss them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We call those teochew kueh png kueh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Libby. I have tasted other png kueh but this is one of the best.

      Delete
  3. The Teochew Kueh is beautiful! with it's design and purple color it is too pretty to eat. It is a kind of noodle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. It is a kind of sweet cake.

      Delete
  4. Interesting tour and shopping. Haha. So much to see, eat and buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Overall, it was an enjoyable day.

      Delete
  5. I had not eaten Teochew kueh before. I will buy if I see it. Just to satisfy my curiosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have eaten Teochew kueh from a few places and this is the best so far.

      Delete
  6. I'm curious about Teochew and all the other food you mentioned <3

    https://sarahrizaga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They must have sound and look strange to you. Lol!

      Delete
  7. ...and who doesn't love a snack now and then!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, thanks for the information. Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh yummy on all the food and snacks. I want to have some of everything.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandee. Have a fabulous weekend!

      Delete
  10. I was fascinated by the archway, an amazing sight. Lots of delicious looking snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So many fun things to see and do!

    ReplyDelete
  12. what is the filling inside the teochew kueh? looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is glutinous rice, dried prawns, red beans, and some others that I can't remember. It is very tasty.

      Delete
  13. The stuff that you bought, Nancy, reminds us, sadly, of the sheer volume of plastic packaging today - deadly for the environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. We are now in the process of cutting down on plastic.

      Delete
  14. Nancy, I want the CCF!! We must go there one day!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that archway with the banyan tree!....it sounds like you had a very enjoyable time...I am glad you took lots of photos to show us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. Glad you enjoy the photos.

      Delete
  16. Wow, I never knew that my food was so boring until I see what you post! I'm sure you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These must look exotic to you. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  17. All foods I do not recognise!!! Happy day, Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are our local snacks. Have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  18. Los azufaifos en España son distintos. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do like trips where you can get good local foodstuff. From what I see on FB, that teochew kuih isn't easy to find. (Not that I know what it taste like!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I have the chance to visit again, I will buy them again.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...