Monday 10 June 2019

Lunch At Vintage Coffee & Bread

Last Friday morning, my friends and I visited a old friend who have moved into a home for the elderly. We spent some time chatting and encouraging this friend and left when it was time for them to have their lunch. We hope he will feel much better and we will be back to visit him soon.
 From the home, we drove back to town for lunch. When we entered the cafe, there was only a couple taking their lunch there. After ordering our food, it was time for me to enjoy and to take snapshots of the decorations in the cafe. 
 This is a traditional water boiler for making tea and coffee, which is found in most Chinese coffee shops. Some traditional coffee shops are still using this water boiler.
 This boiler is now on display as a decoration. Even the pink potty is used as an umbrella holder (the one holding the red umbrella).
 Here I got to taste the traditional Hainanese coffee served together with one of the lunch set we ordered. On the shelf above, are fresh Chinese white bread kept in the plastic bags. Sorry, not for sale.
 A granite mortar and pestle on the floor, a food carrier on the table and a antique straw hat.
 A typewriter, some miniature beer bottles, a hot water flask (red) and a tapioca smoking pipe, etc.

 Choose from here whatever pies, puffs, or quiche you want to order.
*     *     *     *     *
For 3 people, we ordered the following items to share.
 1st set - All Day Breakfast with a cup of hot coffee @ RM 13.
This set consists of a long sausage, 2 pieces of ham, an egg, toast, a piece of butter, tomato and cucumber slices, and 3 small pieces of watermelon. My friends do not drink coffee, so I had the coffee.
 2nd set - Signature Hainan Chicken Chop @ RM 17.90
It was served with some toast, cucumber slices, cherry tomatoes, a bowl of ABC soup, and a glass of drink (my friend chose barley).
The 3rd friend ordered an orange juice at RM 4.50
 Add on #1 - 1 chicken pie @ RM 5.50
 Add on #2 - a kaya (coconut & egg jam) puff @ RM 1.20
 Add on #3 - a crispy durian cream puff @ RM 5.50
Add on #4 - 1 set of toast with butter & kaya @ RM2.50 (no photo)
A glass of plain water @ RM 1.00
We also bought and took away 3 small tubs of kaya jam @ RM22.50
and 6 pieces of kaya puff @ RM 7.20
 Half way through our lunch, all the tables were occupied.
For those who are interested, here is the address.

We do not try to trick people into believing-
we are not interested in fooling anyone.
We never try to get anyone to believe that the Bible teaches
what it doesn't. All such shameful methods we forego.
We stand in the presence of God as we speak and so we tell the truth,
as all who know us will agree.
(2 Corinthians 4:2, The Living Bible-TLB)

52 comments:

  1. What unusual things are in this place! I did not know that tapioca could be smoked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha ha...so sorry, I don't know what I was thinking to type tapioca. Lol! I have corrected it and let it as smoking pipe.

      Delete
  2. Old vintage stuff. I lobe thay.

    Hope your friend felt better after your visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope he will feel better as he gets used to the home.

      Delete
  3. i just see the food... look so yummy hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always nice to visit friends. Loved to see some of the vintage items, particularly the typewriter. The food as always looks delicious, I loved the look of the chicken pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamas. The chicken pie is good.

      Delete
  5. I always feel it is very pitiful to live in old folks home, i hope uncle or auntie feel better, i want that chicken pie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many elderly people cannot accept going to old folks home as most are not prepared for it. I do hope he will feel much better in days to come.

      Delete
  6. yummy food! I prefer the old-fashioned bread with kaya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we love it too. That's why we ended up buying the kaya and thought of buying the bread but they were not for sale. Lol!

      Delete
  7. I hope your friend will adapt well to living in the home and make many friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad to see our friend feeling so down. I do hope he will make new friends there.

      Delete
  8. Hahahah! I’ve been waiting to read this write-up. You see, I was there at Vintage at that same time. I saw u but as I’ve never met u in person, I wasn’t 100% sure that it’s u!!! I thought that my suspicions would b confirmed once u write this blog...heheheh...n I can even spot myself in one of your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ipoh is a small place. Imagine both of us can be in the same place and yet didn't get to say hello to each other! I wasn't attentive to the people coming in the door even though I was seated facing the door. I suppose I was too busy chatting or eating to notice. Lol! I couldn't see clearly the people in the photo, didn't get a good pic.

      Delete
  9. ...a wonderful collection!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Nancy! Thank you so much for sharing this corner cafe to all of us. First I have to say those decorations that they have are very interesting. Imagine dining somewhere with a mini museum just like that. I remember seeing one of those water boilers on a trip to Vietnam and they use it to make coffee. And may I say the food looks AMAZING! I am a lover of All-Day breakfast Meals and that Durian bun looks so delicious. I don't really enjoy the Durian fruit but I must say I can eat that in one minute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steven. Actually I prefer durian fruit and durian cream puff.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for the address of this vintage cafe! I hope the facilities in the home for the elderly are good so that your friend is comfortable living there so I understand many elderly do not like to live in home because of the conditions there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a new wing and the home looks clean and airy and comfortable. I think it is because he could not get used to staying away from his own home.

      Delete
  12. Muy buen reportaje. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unique Cafe. What is the use of antique hat. Some cafes restaurants we never forget because we visit with our special friends and special ones.
    Sandy recent posted
    eid mubarak vector free

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love looking at old things from the past. Things are so easy now compared to back in the day.

    Oh the food. I'm hungry this morning.

    Have a fabulous day and week, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  15. The place looks so vintage, love the breakfast options, i had never hear or seen sardine puff ever
    i love sardine fish a lot
    www.stylebasket.in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Priya. Will hope to return to try other options.

      Delete
  16. Los viejos utensilios quedan muy bien fotográficamente. Me encanta esa evocación al pasado.

    Besos

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Dear Nancy!
    Great place and future food.
    Hugs and greetings.
    Lucja

    ReplyDelete
  18. Replies
    1. Its our first meal of the day and we can eat!

      Delete
  19. Great photos, so interesting the apple pie looks small but nice

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful photos Nancy. This old typewriter is the type I had when I was very young. See ya.

    Cruisin Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I started work, that was the type of typewriter I used.

      Delete
  21. I love all the things you photographed...sure would love to have that food carrier! The food looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. These days we are using all the modern food carrier.

      Delete
  22. What a yummy lunch! I would love to try that durian cream puff!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh the simple things really are a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely display, and a hearty breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Must live life to the fullest huh. I imagine freedom would be limited at the home for the elderly, you can't just do whatever or go wherever you like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Stacy. Some homes lock the residents in as they are accountable for their safety. If one get lost, they have are answerable to their family members. No matter how good the home may be, it is not like our own home to do as we like. There are rules and regulations to follow. But one has to be adaptable in times such as this.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...