Wednesday 31 July 2019

Fat Stubby Okra (Lady's Finger) - Harvesting The First Fruit.

I have planted normal green okra, long green okra, and red okra. Okra is also know as lady's fingers. One evening a friend passed me some okra seeds and she told me that this is the very short stubby okra specie. And she also gave me 2 short stubby okras to try. Definitely, I am interested and excited to grow this okra in my garden!
This is the short stubby okra flower and below it, you can see a tiny okra.
Can you also see some tiny white specks on the stems and leaves? These are the pests and to keep the bugs from destroying my plants, I washed the bugs off the plants with water on alternate mornings.
The first fruit of the short stubby okra. 
The 1 inch short stubby okra and more buds above it.
One morning, I harvested 3 long angled luffas and 1 short stubby okra from my garden.
Short stubby okra - the first fruit from my garden.
It is about 3.75 inch in length and about 1.5 inch in diameter.
Since I was cooking sambal stinky beans with prawns, I added the one and only short stubby okra to the dish. Taste wise, it is more crunchy than the other okra species. Waiting for more short stubby okras to harvest.
I also used the angled luffa to cook this simple dish.
Just garlic, luffa and egg.
The dancing ladies orchid is blooming again. As the breeze blew and moved these yellow flowers, they looked are dancing ladies.


Praise him with the trumpet and with lute and harp.
Praise him with the drums and dancing.
Praise him with stringed instruments and horns.
Praise him with the cymbals, yes, lour clanging cycmbals.
Let everything alive give praises to the Lord! You praise him!
Hallelujah!
(Psalm 150:3-6, The Living Bible-TLB)

61 comments:

  1. Very interesting plant, completely not popular here when I am living- great post dear xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muito interessante estes pratos e aproveito para desejar a continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful and lovely yellow colour dancing ladies orchids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those angled luffa look so good! Beautiful dancing ladies orchid :-))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've grown okra before, but it never really came out looking that nice.
    Anything with prawns is my weakness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great images of your plants and I'm so glad you got a good harvest.
    And those orchids are gorgeous!

    Your post rocks at 'My Corner of the World' this week!


    My Corner of the World

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...and the okra flower is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh, that okra is so fat! your vegetables garden is so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow.. I like your harvest!! Both are my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hubby and I love okra. Need to get some soon.

    Thank you for joining the Wordless Wednesday Blog Hop.

    Have a fabulous Wordless Wednesday, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like always great recipe and cute photos

    ReplyDelete
  12. We have okra in our garden at the ranch. I go out and cut some every morning. Sherry and I pickled 8 jars of it using a brine and garlic cloves pluss hot peppers. Haven't tasted it yet but I hope it's good. It smelled good! Louis Dean likes fried okra....sesoned and rolled in cornmeal and fried in hot oil. My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda. Your pickled okra sounds interesting and it is new to me. Have a happy day!

      Delete
  13. Your meal looks so good! Seems like those tiny white pests are easy to control, so no chemicals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ginny. I try not to use chemical but using water is only temporary measure.

      Delete
  14. Interesting post dear! thanks for sharing, xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Estupenda entrada! Espero verte pronto por mi blog! Buenas noches! ♡♡♡

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very fresh and delicious simple angled luffa and stinky bean plus okra dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Thank you, William. Produce enough for home consumption.

      Delete
  18. We only get the short okra here, i think. At least, i've never seen such long ones as you can grow at the stores here. They are good, though, aren't they.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh that's nice. Like you, I also enjoy gardening :)


    Please check out my latest post, too? I'd love to hear something from you! :)
    www.cielofernando.com
    FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
  20. Always a joy when you harvest from your own garden. Always tastes better when you have grown it yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mamas. And most important we feel so satisfied and happy to enjoy the harvest.

      Delete
  21. Me gusta tu cosecha y la orquídea es muy bonita. Besitos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wish I could grow okra here :-( Happy day Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe your weather too cold for okra. Have a happy weekend!

      Delete
  23. We used to raise okra when I was a kid, and I have had it in my garden here, just not as much when I was a kid. My mom and I had a big patch that we picked and sold. I thing the plants and blooms make a beautiful part of a flower bed.

    Love those flowers at the end of your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rose. I like to plant okra because they are less prone to pest infestation.

      Delete
  24. Oooh the short stubby okra is so cute! I guess long ones are better though for real eating haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, need more okras since it is so small.

      Delete
  25. So cute. I likes it.Can you share the seed with me? I need the fat and short okra species. 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry. I do not have any seeds with me now. I have not planted this for some time.

      Delete
    2. oh, ok. Thanks for your reply.

      Delete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...