Wednesday 18 July 2018

Growing White Bitter Gourd Or Bitter Melon In My Garden.

It was in April this year (about 2 months plus) that I managed to get hold of some white bitter gourd or white bitter melon seeds. I was told that this specie was from Taiwan. I germinated the seeds and when the seedlings sprouted, I transferred them into a bigger flower pot.
 2 months later, I caught sight of this little fruit.
Here is another one!
 Can you see the bee in the centre of the yellow flower?
It has been busy flying from flower to flower. 
 The bitter gourds growing bigger in size.
This is my first time growing white bitter gourd.
I am not sure when it is time to harvest the fruit.
I have been keeping a watchful eye over this white fruit.
Looks like it is time to harvest.
 Everyday, I will be checking on these bitter gourds.
This one is still pale green.
Another one ready for harvest.
 The maximum size of my white bitter gourds is about 5 inches long.
 Rather short compared to ones I saw outside the fertilizer's store where I bought the seeds.
 Time to harvest as it is beginning to show a tinge of yellow.
This is the first fruit from the vine.
I suppose growing it in a pot or insufficiently fertilized could have resulted in smaller fruits.
 Anyway, I am very happy with the numbers of bitter gourds harvested from these vines. They taste just like our local bitter gourds.
*     *     *     *     *
The following photos are for joining Floral Bliss.
These periwinkles are happily blooming away this hot season.
 Yellow Buttercups is also a sun loving plant.
Water droplets on the Yellow Buttercups.
 Pink Showers look similar to the Dwarf Mexican flowers. Once you have these growing in your garden, they will easily multiply on their own through self propagation.
 Pink Showers are also sun loving plants.

Linking to Floral Bliss.

How precious is your constant love, O God!
All humanity takes refuge in the shadow of your wings.
(Psalm 36:7, The Living Bible-TLB)

38 comments:

  1. We don't have any of these gourds here. It is very pretty, and I like the color. The baby fruit is so cute! You can grow anything! The sweet buttercup is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wish I lived closer, so I could pop in and taste some of your garden produce!! I miss bitter gourds. You are a fantastic gardener, Nancy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angie! I was hoping for bigger gourds but am happy with the little ones.

      Delete
  3. Wish I could grow bitter gourd here too! I'm coveting once again! Enjoy your day Nancy...hope it's not too hot today:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Annie! I wish you could too. The days are hot, without rain for more than a week.

      Delete
  4. Your white gourd looks very fresh & decorative. I don't know this plant but tastes delicious I'm sure. The water drops on the flower petals look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have green gourds and they grow longer here. Try hanging that branch and see if it grows longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! I will do so for my next batch!

      Delete
  6. ...it's interesting to see it develop. 😀

    ReplyDelete
  7. Está fantástica aquela sequência de fotografias.
    Um abraço e continuação de boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! What a beauty! I have never seen white bittergourd before. All your flowers are so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Phong Hong! White bittergourd is very rare.

      Delete
  9. Interesting fruit, something I have never seen here. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diane! A bitter melon! Take care too.

      Delete
  10. I never seen white bitter gourd before. Much bitter than our local type??

    I see the bee in the yellow flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not common here. Taste wise almost similar to our local ones.

      Delete
  11. No conozco la calabaza amarga, por aquí no las hay. Las flores muy bonitas. Un beso.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have an amazing green thumb. Way cool on the bitter gourds.

    The flowers are beautiful.

    Have a fabulous day, Nancy. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  13. The flowers are a cheerful sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have such lovely flowers in your garden!

    So nice can eat fresh bitter gourd from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the yellow buttercups.

      Delete
    2. Managed to harvest a few of these dwarf sized gourds.

      Delete
    3. The yellow buttercups are few of the flowers doing well in this hot season.

      Delete
  15. Tours of your garden always leave me smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The locals like to drink the white bitter gourd juice raw. Well done for successfully growing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have drank green bitter gourd juice raw but haven't try using white ones.

      Delete
  17. Don't think I seen white bitter gourd before...

    ReplyDelete

Your visits and encouraging comments are greatly appreciated. Please leave me your name and blog link for me to visit you. Thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...